anybody use a .270 R1?

GBMotorsports

My Buddy's Dad bought a R-1 chambered in 270WSM. He has taken several deer and hogs with it. Last spring they came to Alaska to hunt with me and he was able to take a really nice Black Bear with it. I do have to say that the high velocity of the WSMs will not be fur friendly IMHO if you want to save the fur on the coyotes. I have found the R-1 to be easy and fast to handle and shoot. Just keep it clean.

IMGP1114-2.jpg

Steve

My Buddy's Dad bought a R-1 chambered in 270WSM. He has taken several deer and hogs with it. Last spring they came to Alaska to hunt with me and he was able to take a really nice Black Bear with it. I do have to say that the high velocity of the WSMs will not be fur friendly IMHO if you want to save the fur on the coyotes. I have found the R-1 to be easy and fast to handle and shoot. Just keep it clean.

IMGP1114-2.jpg

Steve

Thanks Steve, thats a nice looking bear. I'm not to terribly worried about the condition of the pelts on coyotes so I should be fine. But who knows, hopefully Barnes will come up with a .277 diameter Varmint grenade and MPG bullet in the time it takes for me to pick up this rifle :D Is that the VX-III-L I see on your rifle? If so, how do you like it? Im thinking if I get the R1 I will buy that scope, and swap it with the VX-III I am currently using on my .300WM. I missed a shot at a monster bull elk this year by about 5 minutes because my scope wasnt letting enough light in to identify it as a bull when it was standing dead still in front of some bushes. I dont want that to happen again...ever.

I have a Leupold VX-L 3.5-10 x 50 Rifle Scope with B&C reticle. I also have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10x44 with Rapid Z 600 reticle. The Zeiss beats out the Leupold in low light conditions.

The WSMs tend to have more muzzle flip than the non WSMs. I would most likely choose the standard 270 Win over the 270 in WSM. The standard 270 Win does not have as an extreme shoulder angle as the 270 WSM so it feeds better and the ballistics are close. For fast shots on moving game I would pick the 270 Win.

Ammo is cheaper than WSM and is available almost anywhere and in multiple factory offerings.

Steve

Thanks for the great info. The .270 has been in my top 3 for my deer rifle calibers. Its a great, highly versatile round. I hadn't even thought about the steeper angles of the shoulder. There's just to many damn choices, I have much to think about. I've spent some time looking through a zeiss spotting scope, I agree I did think it brought light in nicely, I just wasn't impressed with the crispness and clarity of the image.

Personally wouldnt 30.06 be a far more versatile caliber that 270? You really arent giving up any balistically and you win a whole lot of more options on loads.

I already have a .300WM rifle that is just as versatile and ballisitically a far better round than the .30-06. I'm looking for something other than a .30 cal rifle

• 2 weeks later...

270 is a nice round for medium game and also works well on moose and bear (large game) if you know shot placement and are disiplined. If you are an avid big game hunter I would recomend the 30 call. Since you already have a 300 the 270 would round out your gun rack real nice. I do agree with the previous post. The wsm in the 270 has very little balistic advantage. the standard win. is the way to go. Now if only they made one in .243 HMMMMM.

lets dream even more. How about a good varmint caliber like 22-250. Or something for REALLY DANGEROUS game like gophers or ground hogs. (not dangerous you say--go ask a horse). We can dream all day but seriously if Benelli is listening I think a .243 would be a great seller. If you're all willing lets take a vote. Who would like to see a 243 offering?

lets dream even more. How about a good varmint caliber like 22-250. Or something for REALLY DANGEROUS game like gophers or ground hogs. (not dangerous you say--go ask a horse). We can dream all day but seriously if Benelli is listening I think a .243 would be a great seller. If you're all willing lets take a vote. Who would like to see a 243 offering?

As far as I know, Benelli doesnt monitor these forums in any official capacity. .22-250 is a great caliber, It will be one of my next purchases.