M4 Collapsible stock sling mounting

barometric

There is a slot on the rear, and also a hole. Is that a standard size hole for something like a pushbutton QD swivel, or something else?

I saw at TSG a swivel that goes in the pistol grip, for use with collapsible stocks.

But I just wanted to know the options available- especially if I wanted a VTAC sling thats adjustable on the fly- that would be good depending on the stock position- but was just wondering about attachements options

(yes, there is a slot on the stock, but was wondering what the hole was for there for.)

Mesa Tactical has one that you mount at the pistol grip. It only works for the collapsible stock.

yep-thats the one I said I saw at TSG.

I was wondering what could attach to the hole on the rear of the stock itself-any kind of swivel? There already is a slot for a belt-type of sling attachement.

i have a sling for my AR and my nelli goes into its molle attached scabbard on the back of my Tac vest when i gotta jump a fence!!:D im gonna get one for my nelli, i just have seen one i want yet. but wait till you see my pics soon of me in my full-on tac gear with damn near every gun i own!!:p im gonna call it my overboard tactical pic.

i have a sling for my AR and my nelli goes into its molle attached scabbard on the back of my Tac vest when i gotta jump a fence!!:D im gonna get one for my nelli, i just have seen one i want yet. but wait till you see my pics soon of me in my full-on tac gear with damn near every gun i own!! im gonna call it my overboard tactical pic.

when the VCAS cobra padded version arrives, you will know which one to get!

and PLEASE take that pic of yours! i'm curious to see you dressed up like the masterchief! :eek:

I've never used one since I don't have a collapsible stock. I think you have to drill a hole to install it. I'm not a 100% sure.

It might be in the way if you're a lefty. However, if you're a lefty, chances are you'd install it on the opposite side.

I like the placement. When I had my sling attached at the sling loop at the rear, it would impede bringing the stock to my shoulder pocket at times.

• 1 year later...

a016.jpg?t=1305919626

a010.jpg?t=1305919703

Here are better photos of the Mesa Tactical sling mount. I actually made one of these for a fixed pistol grip stock for another M4. I used a Magpul threaded QD sling cup, then went to Home Depot and got a properly threaded bolt and washer. Drilled through the pistol grip stock, careful to avoid the recoil tube. Works perfectly.

• 1 year later...
Guest easy web

It will not hurt anything.

The fixed gas block is most likely held on by taper pins, so a little vibration from hitting the sling swivel rivet will not hurt. When I added a rail to my AR, I knocked out the rivet that held the sling on with a punch. I then added a quick detach sling mount to the side of the AR.

viaje fiordos | viajes noruega | viaje noruega

• 8 months later...

I've used the mesa c-stock rear QD sling receiver on my 18.5"....it was OK but did involved drilling out that pin hole a bit. On my 14" M4 SBS (Form 4 pending)....I'm gunna use an HK hook on the sling to interface with either the HK hook hole on the c-stock or alternatively the KZ Benelli M1 / M4 Ambidextrous Sling Adapter between the receiver and the c-stock. Up front I'm going to follow StrangerDanger's lead and do a QD dock integrated into factory handguards. Will post pics once its done (waiting on BATFE).

006_zpse5bb3ea7.jpg

Here is a shot of the Mesa Tactical rear sling mount for the collapsible stock. It's okay at best. I dislike how far the post sticks out. This causes the weapon to hang away from you when hanging by just the sling.

I've been working on a solution for this though. I'd like to mount a flush mounted sling mount into the grip above and to the right of where the Mesa sling mount is. Basically insetting it into the pistol grip where the receiver extension passes through. There are some issues though. There isn't a lot of clearance around the receiver extension. Also, the collapsible stock when fully collapsed would interfere with the mount unless the tail of the stock was modified.

This would be a lot of work. One of the issues is the inner surface of the pistol grip is concave. So mounting a flat surface against it would require some specialized tooling. To do it right, you'd need a backface cutter to level it out.

Mounting to the tail piece of the collapsible stock is an option. It would be pretty easy to mount a flush fitting QD mount to the cheek rest of the collapsible stock. The plastic is plenty strong for civilian use.

For the front sling mount, take a look at this mount I put together. It's not complete yet since I'm waiting for the actual QD sling mount to be delivered. I took a BLAM4 mount, drilled out the alignment hole to 0.5", chopped off the existing sling mount and cut the excess off the steel mount. I filled the threaded hole with epoxy, then filed all the sharp edges down.

When the QD mount arrives, it'll fit right into the half inch hole, then I'll dimple the back side of the bracket for the stand off tensioner screws to prevent the mount from spinning. To keep it from rusting, I sent the bracket off to be Cerakoted black.

022-1_zpsfb6a2bbc.jpg

Edited by StrangerDanger

I've used the mesa c-stock rear QD sling receiver on my 18.5"....it was OK but did involved drilling out that pin hole a bit.
That's because there's a roll pin in that hole. That roll pin should be punched out, not drilled. Don't ask how I know.

On my 14" M4 SBS (Form 4 pending)....I'm gunna use...the KZ Benelli M1 / M4 Ambidextrous Sling Adapter between the receiver and the c-stock.

Unfortunately the KZ sling adapter won't work with a c-stock.

Thanks for the tip onthe KZ mount not working w/ the C-Stock.

"That's because there's a roll pin in that hole. That roll pin should be punched out, not drilled. Don't ask how I know." Yes I was pretty brief but meant that even after punching out the roll pin, I still had to slightly enlarge the roll pin roll in order to fit the QD sling dock hardware.

Hey StrangerDanger,

I read that you don't like how far the Mesa QD mount sticks out from the stock. Have you seen this part?

Troy QD Swivel w/TRX Cooling Hole Low-Pro Mount, P/N: SRAI-TRX-HERP-00 (check the cobra tactical site for better angles)

The mounting face is slightly curved, but nothing some epoxy and OCD couldn't flatten out. It appears that the top could be used with Mesa block and opposite retaining screw. Although it isn't exactly what you're looking for, it might be less bothersome until you find your flush mount solution.