Which Sidearm Holster do you have for your handGun

heckler&kochp2000

I like those Raven holsters since you can keep the light attached. I have always used these

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Holsters,16.htm

And I had this one for my USP Tactical

http://www.blade-tech.com/Tactical-Thigh-Holsters-c-264.html

Holsters are a very preferential thing. You cant just pick one to do everything you want. It all depends on what your intended use for the gun is and how you want to carry it.

For personal CC, I use the SmartCarry holster. This, along with the XD40 SC, has proven to be a good solution. Also, it enables me to carry a spare mag if needed. Personally, I do not like wearing a weapon on the hip or in the small of my back. On the hip tends to "print" too much; behind the back is a b*tch to get to (if in a hurry). When using the SmartCarry, I keep the butt of the gun a bit higher than normal, closer to what one may call the "Mexican carry," as this allows quicker access. Only downside is that I need to keep my shirt un-tucked. But, this is a minor issue. If I were to use this holster with a tucked shirt, I would need pants roughly 2 sizes larger. Oh well...Nobody said CC was easy.

I do keep a few Safariland holsters around, along with some cheapo Uncle Mikes rigs. But, these are almost exclusively for transport to the range or for CC within a vehicle.

As a side note (off topic...but, based on a pic I saw here, I have to comment)- I generally avoid lights on guns due to the fact that, by nature, they essentially require a [loaded] weapon to be pointed at a target to be useful. This opens the door for liability for several reasons (not to mention, Im sure, quite a bit of debating). Regardless, for now, I prefer to keep a small Surefire hand held flashlight around (possibly in addition to using tritium sights). Only downside here is that one needs to become quite proficient in one handed shooting. So it goes.....

Now, for shotguns, Im not sure. But, mounting a light on an already heavy weapon (particularly the Mossberg 590 A1) makes for a very front heavy weapon indeed. Frankly, I try to keep my home well lit with "strategically" placed night lights. Sounds queer, but it can be an effective alternative if/when things go "bump" in the night.

Edited by shotgunNoob

I used to think an attached weapon light was overly tactical and I wouldn't have a purpose for it. The holster limitations didn't help either. In the past year or two, a lot of new carry methods have evovled elabling the user to carry a light mounted weapon concealed relatively easy.

When I took a few night shooting classes, I realized what a massive disadvantage I had next to the users who were running dedicated lights. Using a hand held light essentially leaves you shooting one handed. Your grappling, blocking, opening doors hand is filled with a hand held light.

I moved to the XDm package since my highly modified Beretta 92g Elite II didn't accept a weapon light. I went with the Surefire X300 first because of the DG remote momentary activation switch. This gives you absolute control over the output with you strong hand. It is completely ambidextrous as well. It doesn't require your trigger finger to activate the swith either. You can open car doors or structure doors and still have the output a your control. I then upgraded to he X400 to add the laser aiming option. I use the laser for shooting around barriers without exposing my body as much. Or, when clearing an area, I can see where my muzzle is pointed while visually searching an area without the weapon being in my plain of view. A lot of times you cannot bring the weapon up with both hands on the weapon. If you have to fire from your side or from on the ground, one handed activation is crucial, or you simply won't use it. The single momentary switch controls both he light and the laser. There are no complicated switches or actions involved to turn the device on.

I also carry a hand held Surefire LX2 200 lumen light. Learn to use the lanyard and it becomes an even better tool. The variable output of the LX2 adds to its value. You don't always need 200 lumens.

You do not need to put the muzzle on a target to illuminate them. The splash from the 170 lumen output will illuminate them sufficently. Off the ground or off a side wall works well.

I have a Galco FLETCH for my Glock 19, a Strong Leather Piece Keeper for my Glock 22, an Aker Flatsider for my H&K USP 40c, a Sidearmor kydex for my FN Five Seven, a Desantis Nemesis for my Kel-Tec P3AT.....That's it for my carry guns.

For my duty Beretta 92D I have a Safariland 6004 SLS thigh rig but last year I switched to a Blackhawk SERPA thigh rig. I also recently picked up a SERPA thigh rig for my new duty weapon, a Smith and Wesson M&P 40. I can't wait till I get issued the M&P!

You do not need to put the muzzle on a target to illuminate them. The splash from the 170 lumen output will illuminate them sufficently. Off the ground or off a side wall works well.
I understand the logic. However, during the max intensity of a violent HD encounter or even during a fearful "bump in the night" situation, I doubt most would bother with bouncing the light. If nothing else, I tend to view such a system as a potential legal liability. Im not against them, but Im not sure a rabid anti-gun prosecutor would feel the same. Also, becoming proficient in one-handed shooting is a vital skill, I believe. After all, you wont always be able to count on using both hands.

If I were military or police, and "search and destroy" was the name of the game, I could see the benefits. But, for most HD situations, at "how do ya' do" distances, I think a white light system (weapon mounted) is not entirely necessary.

Regardless, I do see some positives of weapon mounted systems, along with various negatives. For now, I tend to prefer a flashlight. Besides, Im not crazy about the extra "drag" when using a weapon mounted light and my place is small enough to where I can keep it well lit with night lights, thus eliminating the need for a weapon mounted light...for the most part. But, who knows? Maybe one day I will choose to keep such a system on one of my handguns, should it be needed. Time will tell.

Edited by shotgunNoob

No argument. I felt the same way before. If you can, try to set up a night shoot around barriers. Run the course with the hand held light and see if someone has a weapon mounted one you can try. Time the course and set up targets that are randomly Shoot/No Shoot scenarios. It is fun, and you learn tons about yourself on the first run.

A benefit of a weapon light on a pistol is the added weight. It reduces preceived recoil and allows faster followup shots. If you use a Surefire with a DG switch installed on a pistol, you'll be spoiled instantly and you'll sell all other brands.