measuring a gun question

roky0702

What does the length of pull measure? I am thinking of getting the Comfortech gel recoil pads and don't know which one I should get. I have a nova and like the size of the standard pad if that helps. Also, for measuring the barrel, if you disassemble it do you measure from the end of the barrel all the way to the end of the pieces that lock in or just to the beginning of the actual smooth barrel? I hope that isn't too confusing...Thanks for any clarification!

What does the length of pull measure? I am thinking of getting the Comfortech gel recoil pads and don't know which one I should get. I have a nova and like the size of the standard pad if that helps. Also, for measuring the barrel, if you disassemble it do you measure from the end of the barrel all the way to the end of the pieces that lock in or just to the beginning of the actual smooth barrel? I hope that isn't too confusing...Thanks for any clarification!

Length of pull is measured from the trigger to the end of the recoil pad.

Barrel length is measured when the gun is assembled. Nova's. Come in 18,24,26,and 28.

If your LOP can't be fixed by using one of the other 2 length of pads you are looking at belt sanding your stock and would get a smith that knows how to fit YOU to your stock and let him adjust it which should not brake the bank for this adjustment! So which of the 3 different LOP pads does your shotgun come stock with?

http://www.benelliusa.com/parts_and_accessories/recoil_pads.php

Edited by HOGWILD

that depends on your LOP and putting the shotgun but pad in the inside of your elbow and then reaching up and try to put your finger on the trigger as you would normaly do when you shoot will tell you if it's short or long? So simple to do this and get it rite?

that depends on your LOP and putting the shotgun but pad in the inside of your elbow and then reaching up and try to put your finger on the trigger as you would normally do when you shoot will tell you if it's short or long? So simple to do this and get it rite?

That's the old "rule of thumb" but its not very accurate, and its not what stock fitters use to measure proper LOP.

The one that stock fitters use is to have you mount the gun normally, and see how much distance there is between the back of your thumb and the tip of your nose.

This should be about 1 to 1-1/4 inches.

Less than that, and the LOP is too short for you.

More, and the LOP is too long for you.

With the gun ESTABLISHED UNLOADED, close the bolt.

Then take a bore cleaning rod, and stick it into the muzzle of the gun, all the way down until it bottoms out at the bolt face.

Mark the rod at the muzzle end.

Pull the rod out and measure from the end you stuck in, to the mark you made.

That's your barrel length.

This method works for any kind of gun.

I think fit of a gun(pistol, rifle or shotgun) is often overlooked. People just buy a firearm because it's what the military uses, their favorite movie star in a flick or it was on sale. But, much like a pair of hiking boots. . . . if it isn't comfortable you won't wear them(firearm = won't shoot!) IF one doesn't shoot, they won't get better or know how to use the firearm under stress.

• 3 weeks later...