Deep Cleaning

greenshovel

I just purchased a Cordoba a week ago and I am looking for a little advice. Do I need to deep clean the shotgun before taking it to the range for the first time? Does the magazine, and but-stock spring need to be disassembled and cleaned (packing grease) prior to shooting this shotgun? Any help would be appreciated, this is my first semi auto shotgun, thanks (o;

Steve

Personally I would thoroughly clean it first. In addition to learning about it prior to shooting it you put the proper lube on the friction points, etc. Packing grease is anti-rust not weapons lube.

Additionally, if you use something like SLIP 2000 or one of the other high-tech lubes it requires a clean surface to get down into the pores where it will then make the gun much easier to clean later on. So you'll be better served starting with a clean weapon.

Just my opinion, but have bought a number of rifles and pistols to include an M4 and almost all of them reference the need to remove the packing grease before shooting. Here's what FN says and I saw no major differences in the way my 5.7 or PS90 arrived and my Benelli M4.

It is mandatory to clean your Five-seveN® before using it for

the first time, and after every subsequent use.

❖ Carry out the cleaning procedure of § 5.4.1 ‘Cleaning and

lubrication before firing’ in order to remove any

preservation lubricant.

My Dad always made me clean weapons after shooting, even when it was just a few rounds. The Marines made me obsessive about it. I now believe we cleaned weapons too much in the Corps, but I suggest you get off to a good start with this shotgun.

Edited by BigHat

Personally I would thoroughly clean it first. In addition to learning about it prior to shooting it you put the proper lube on the friction points, etc. Packing grease is anti-rust not weapons lube.

Additionally, if you use something like SLIP 2000 or one of the other high-tech lubes it requires a clean surface to get down into the pores where it will then make the gun much easier to clean later on.

Just my opinion, but have bought a number of rifles and pistols to include an M4 and Benelli said clean it first. My Dad always made me clean weapons after shooting, even when it was just a few rounds. The Marines made me obsessive about it. I now believe we cleaned weapons too much in the Corps, but I suggest you get off to a good start with this shotgun.

I am the same with weapons, and the shotgun has been disassembled per manual and lubed with break-free CLP, just wasn't sure as to the magazine tube and inertia spring

I'd be less concerned about the mag tube etc but if the manual describes how to get to them easily it wouldn't hurt.

I rarely clean and lube a buffer spring on an AR and never have any problems. I'd just be sure your barrel is totally clean and the receiver/bolt area too. Then lube the heck out of it and fire a few boxes of shells through it to break it in a bit.

:D

I'd be less concerned about the mag tube etc but if the manual describes how to get to them easily it wouldn't hurt.

I rarely clean and lube a buffer spring on an AR and never have any problems. I'd just be sure your barrel is totally clean and the receiver/bolt area too. Then lube the heck out of it and fire a few boxes of shells through it to break it in a bit.

The modern guns are no longer shipped with the heavy cosmoline packing grease of yesteryear.

This negates the need for a heavy and thorough initial cleaning.

I figured as much, just didn't want to needlessly tear it completely down till it's really needed, thanks

The modern guns are no longer shipped with the heavy cosmoline packing grease of yesteryear.

This negates the need for a heavy and thorough initial cleaning.

I completely disagree with this. The fact is, firearms today are assembled without much regard to cleanliness. That means small particles from the machining process can, and do, get left on moving parts. A couple of Marlin's I recently purchased were a testament to this. Then, whatever they use for corrosion while getting boxed and transported to wherever get's co-mingled with all that stuff and IMHO it's a bad recipie for beginning the functional use of a firearm.

Do what you want but at a minimun you should always field strip a new firearm and clean and lubricate all the moving/mating surfaces. It ensures that all your parts will funtion properly and also helps to familiarize you with your new weapon. YMMV.

EDIT: The other thing that I have encountered from time to time is that manufacturing tolerances vary widely among different firearms. IMHO, If you have one that is tight it is important that you have it clean AND lubricated in order to ensure proper break-in.

Edited by KB Fab

Well it's your shotgun, you'll have to decide what's best. Everyone here is well intentioned and has a personal opinion.

I don't think life as we know it end IF you don't clean it prior to use, but it's a simple precaution to execute. I'll return to my basic point(s). You can't properly lube it with modern fluids unless it's clean. Otherwise there wouldn't be the clear instruction to apply it to clean surfaces...

INITIAL TREATMENT: Applying MILITEC-1 to a firearm for the first time is a two-step process: (1) Application and (2) Firing.

STEP ONE: APPLICATION. Now that the firearm is clean and dry, apply a light film of MILITEC-1 to all surfaces, including the bore. Burnish/polish MILITEC-1 into exterior surfaces by rubbing rapidly using a cloth lightly dampened with MILITEC-1. Sparingly apply drops into the action, concentrating on springs, moving parts and metal-to-metal contact areas. If your firearm has a magazine, be sure to apply MILITEC-1 both inside and out. Leave a very light film of MILITEC-1 on all surfaces during reassembly. Now proceed to Step Two.

STEP TWO: FIRING. Once you fire your weapon enough times to reach operating temperatures, the heat and friction will activate MILITEC-1, strengthening the bonding process that was started in Step One. While firing, MILITEC-1 creates a self-lubricating, water-repelling, dry compound within the gunmetal.

Edited by BigHat

Well it's your shotgun, you'll have to decide what's best. Everyone here is well intentioned and has a personal opinion.

THIS.

As far as my personal opinion goes: NEED is a big word, you probably don't NEED to clean your gun ever. However, packing grease or not, I cannot think of one single bad thing that can come from you cleaning your gun before you shoot it. Unless of course you count not being able to get it back together after you tear it apart...but if that is the case you were going to be in trouble no matter when that happened, best to get it out of the way now :p

Maybe I should have worded my original question a bit better, lol.. I had already cleaned the shotgun minus the mag tube and inertia spring, I disassembled the shotgun per the manual and cleaned and oiled it with break-free CLP. I just wasn't sure if these benelli's had a mess of packing grease in them, is all, and if it needed to come out. I do plan on disassembling these items eventually when they get wet from use and what not, thanks.

Picking a new (or new-to-you used gun), in my humble opinion just begs to be cleaned prior to firing, PERIOD! Get an owners manual online, or read(NOT look) at the one that came with the firearm. Get acquainted with your new toy, nomenclature, step-by-step disassembly, etc. Even if the firearm is "clean" then that just makes the cleaning you'd perform that much easier. But having disassembled it makes you the shooter more familiar, in the even of a malfunction perhaps help understand the mechanical aspects better for probelm-solving.

Just my $.02.