SBE II - Light Load Cycling problem

Benelli Raffaello

I am very much in interested in buying the Benelli SBE II but I was told that it can not cycle the 7/8 oz light load , the minimum it can cycle is the 1 oz loads with 50/50 success ... How true is that ? Is a there a way around it ?

I am a heavy user of light loads , mostly for clay pigeons.

Thanks,

Wrong shotgun for what you have in mind, get a range gun, O/U and enjoy shooting clays. The SBEII is not going to cycle that round and Benelli says 1 1/8 ounce is minimum so where the 1 oz came from is wrong info! The SBEII is a meat machine not a dirt machine!:confused:

http://www.benelliusa.com/assets/manuals/Benelli_Super_Black_Eagle_II_manual.pdf

I strongly suggest reading manual before spending $1400-$1600 for a shotgun?

Edited by HOGWILD

The SBEII is a meat machine not a dirt machine!:confused:

Agreed, however in real life the SBEII and related M2 eats 1oz loads like candy. I don't shoot any 7/8 so I can't comment from direct knowledge.

If you are really wanting 7/8 oz I would go with a 20ga instead, otherwise keep it to 1oz and you should have no problem.

I agree it will shoot 1 Oz loads but it has to be properly broken in for spring memorization for it to cycle the loads that Benelli says that it will not cycle? Just poor choice for a range gun IMHO:) I would not use the SBEII for clays and i have tried and it shot fine with the 1 oz and never tried the 7/8 oz loads but that gave me the option to get my Citori Satin lightning which shoots anything you want to feed it with no issues plus easier to load than a semi for clays & trap! My range will only allow 1 shell to be loaded unless you are shooting doubles so a semi is a waste of time on my range! All you are asking for is issues and complaints using a SBEII with 7/8 oz loads!

Edited by HOGWILD

• 4 months later...

My SBE II will run 1 oz loads all day long.....brand new gun out the box run 25rds heavy loads through it. The next few trips to the range run 1 1/8 (about 150 rds)....then tried the 1 oz target loads, run perfect. This was even with the gun not being cleaned. I normally buy the 1 1/8 oz loads anyway but was just curious if the gun would eat the light loads. I use mine for clays quite often with zero issues.

My HK SBE has never eaten 1oz loads, even after 17 years of use. Benelli put new springs in it last year and no diff. The SBEII isn't the gun for light loads even though some can cycle them. My new Vinci does handle the 1oz loads without failure, but the 7/8 oz are a no no. I would suggest, no matter what you read here, choose a SS, Montefeltro, Vinci or another Benelli if you want to shoot 1oz loads. Even then, use the recommended minimum loads as a guidline for a decision. Otherwise, like someone else recommended, get a stack barrel or another brand (Beretta) that can handle the lighter loads.

Good luck!

I am very much in interested in buying the Benelli SBE II but I was told that it can not cycle the 7/8 oz light load , the minimum it can cycle is the 1 oz loads with 50/50 success ... How true is that ? Is a there a way around it ?

I am a heavy user of light loads , mostly for clay pigeons.

Thanks,

I had the same dilemma a few months ago.....(read that the SBE II would be a jam o matic with ight loads). The manual states 1 1/8oz loads....(which walmart sells for $20/100 for target loads in Federal brand). The manual also states a break in procedure for sucess in shooting the lighter loads. My SBE II has no issue with even the 1 oz loads? Regardless the 1 1/8 are no more in price for the target loads and are listed in the manual to cycle. (if they dont after break in...im sure Benelli will take care of it). Im glad I took the plunge, and didnt listen to all the writings about the gun wont cycle only 3.5 inch 2 1/4 oz loads! The SBE II is a great all purpose shotgun for sure....from clays to turkey to ducks. If your willing to shoot clays with 1 1/8 oz target loads buy it.

As others have stated, you are not looking for an inertia gun.

These dogs are bred to hunt, and to kill.

If you want to shoot the girly loads, you'll need to look elsewhere. :D

Agreed! Why in the wide, wide, world of sports would anyone buy a fine hunting shotgun like a SBE and then want to use 7/8oz loads in it? IMO, 12ga 7/8oz loads are for O/U guns and have no use whatsoever in the field.

Agreed! Why in the wide, wide, world of sports would anyone buy a fine hunting shotgun like a SBE and then want to use 7/8oz loads in it? IMO, 12ga 7/8oz loads are for O/U guns and have no use whatsoever in the field.

They, 12ga 7/8oz loads, do make great quail loads...Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles...

• 3 years later...

Ok I have read hundreds of posts about the sbe not cycling light loads. I have had mine for 6 years and shot every imaginable load through it with no problems. But for some reason this summer while shooting 1- oz loads at the trap range it started to jam. I had let it get pretty fouled up and blamed the poor cycling on that until I had cleaned it completely and the problem continued to get worse. Now t will not cycle even 1-1/8 oz loads. I have had it down to the last piece several times and no change! The shells do not cycle out. What changed?

Ok I have read hundreds of posts about the sbe not cycling light loads. I have had mine for 6 years and shot every imaginable load through it with no problems. But for some reason this summer while shooting 1- oz loads at the trap range it started to jam. I had let it get pretty fouled up and blamed the poor cycling on that until I had cleaned it completely and the problem continued to get worse. Now t will not cycle even 1-1/8 oz loads. I have had it down to the last piece several times and no change! The shells do not cycle out. What changed?
When you "cleaned it completely", did you remove the stock and inspect the recoil spring assembly? If not, that's where I would go first.

When you "cleaned it completely", did you remove the stock and inspect the recoil spring assembly? If not, that's where I would go first.

+1 My SBE2 started having issues with 3" shells- Bolt was sluggish. I cleaned the recoil spring assembly, removed a few pieces of mashed up reeds, and applied a light coat of CLP. Bolt is now super slick again and cycles perfectly.

• 1 month later...

OK, I have a little different problem. I've had my sbe for over 5 years and it has always cyled without error anything I ran through it! However, for some strange reason it began to fail cycling out 1 1/8 oz loads this past summer and is still unreliable. I have cleaned it completely several times including the spring in the stock but it still fails every cycle. Anybody got a clue?

• 1 year later...

Wolf makes a decrease spring as well. The gun will function very well with 7/8 as long as the weather is warm. Cold weather increases friction in the recoil and bolt system.

I know it's time to change a spring when shooting in colder weather and then challenge you gun with overhead shots. This will challenge the bolt assembly when faced with the force of gravity.

Don't forget to check you shells making sure they fall into the chamber unrestricted with the barrel off. Benelli bores the chamber slightly tighter to utilize the force of inertia recoil.