suggestions on a choke tube for coyote hunting?

roky0702

Until I decide on an AR-15/bolt action for a small caliber predator gun, I plan on using a shotgun with buckshot on coyotes. Has anyone used their Supernova/Nova predator hunting and if so what was your setup? I am leaning more towards a Patternmaster (expensive!) rather than a Carlson's Hevi-shot Dead Coyote choke tube because of more positive reviews but I don't have experience. Also it sounds like #4 buckshot is a good round to use on coyotes. I'm trying to make this my new hobby so any suggestions will be great. Thanks!

Well the thing is i'm not rich so the option of buying several kinds and testing them all isn't really feasible. I understand all guns, choke tubes, and ammo shoot differently. I was just hoping someone might have a current setup that works well for them...preferably one that can go farther like 60+ yards. Both Patternmaster and Dead Coyote advertise higher than that still.

Well the thing is i'm not rich so the option of buying several kinds and testing them all isn't really feasible. I understand all guns, choke tubes, and ammo shoot differently. I was just hoping someone might have a current setup that works well for them...preferably one that can go farther like 60+ yards. Both Patternmaster and Dead Coyote advertise higher than that still.

I should have also stated that I have the two tubes that you are interested in and I found they made marginal patterns out of my Benelli. Also I have shot a good number of coyotes and in my personal opinion is that you will lose more coyotes with a shotgun once you leave the 40 yard line than the number you will retrieve. Not tring to set the standards for others it is just my opinion.

I agree and using a shotgun would be my last resort just because it equals more holes in the pelt. i just thought that would be pretty sweet to be shooting that far and still have good patterns but it would be my backup gun so i would try and shoot it as much as i can with my rifle first.

I havent used this personally but my coworker has used his Super Nova for two years and had great results with it on Coyotes using this setup.

Ammo

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0027268215488a.shtml

Choke

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0041021228297a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=Coyote+choke&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0

Just an FYI, He uses two guns a .22-250 for the long range stuff and his shotty when they get in closer inside of 60 yards.

I havent used this personally but my coworker has used his Super Nova for two years and had great results with it on Coyotes using this setup.

Ammo

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0027268215488a.shtml

Choke

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0041021228297a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=Coyote+choke&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0

Just an FYI, He uses two guns a .22-250 for the long range stuff and his shotty when they get in closer inside of 60 yards.

Thanks, that is pretty much the exact setup I'm planning on using. That dead coyote ammo is sooo expensive tho so i might just stick with some cheaper federal or remington #4 buckshot...but you never know. It will still be a while before I start coyote hunting so I might change my mind.

Yeah I understand that one. Good ammo isn't cheap. I just buy a box here and there throughout the year. By the time the seasons roll around I've got plenty of ammo stocked up and ready to go.

I figure with all the time, effort, and money put into hunting we might as well use the best ammo available to us since its the only part that actually connects with the animal.

I use #4 buck and a modified choke as it patterns best for me. I don't shoot over 40 yards, and I do use a shotgun all the time at night. We cannot hunt with a light so the shotgun gives me SOME margin for error. Not much but some error margin. I don't think I would take a shot over 40 yards, and 30 I feel is much better. Good luck and have fun. I used 223 in the day time for yotes...

Yeah I understand that one. Good ammo isn't cheap. I just buy a box here and there throughout the year. By the time the seasons roll around I've got plenty of ammo stocked up and ready to go.

I figure with all the time, effort, and money put into hunting we might as well use the best ammo available to us since its the only part that actually connects with the animal.

True dat. And besides the occasional patterning/breaking in before the season you really only use a box or so.

I use #4 buck and a modified choke as it patterns best for me. I don't shoot over 40 yards, and I do use a shotgun all the time at night. We cannot hunt with a light so the shotgun gives me SOME margin for error. Not much but some error margin. I don't think I would take a shot over 40 yards, and 30 I feel is much better. Good luck and have fun. I used 223 in the day time for yotes...

Are you using just the factory modified? I wanna get a nice bolt .22-250 for long range and also an ar-15 for shorter distances depending on where I hunt.

patternmaster extended.. its the best.PERIOD

Is the extended worth the extra $10 over the patternmaster long choke tube? They both advertise being effective out to double what these other guys are recommending to shoot, 75-80 yards rather than 30-40 yards. (not that I necessarily would...probably just use the rifle past 40 yards) So more than likely I would just stick with the long and save the money for more ammo.

Also, I love the all black look of the synthetic, but I was wondering if upgrading to the realtree apg hd camo is that much of a benefit when coyote or turkey hunting? I don't think it would make too much of a difference since it would be a backup gun anyway or would it help? I don't know how spooked they are by that sort of stuff. I would be hunting in spring or winter so i'm sure both would work well for the snow...