Turkey weather

GobblinNYelpin

Its been absolutely great weather all of April so far in MO for this time of year. Our turkey season started on Monday the 19th. I planned vacation for this Friday and Monday so I could 4 solid days to chase the turkeys around the farm and do some fishin. The weather forecast has rain either heavy T storms or showers now all the way through next Tuesday, go figure. I have an Ameristep Bone Collector blind that I can put up and rain gear to wear, but come on! This creates the mobility problem and I want to be able to run and gun if I have to. I hope I can get the Toms to tell me where they are roosting Thursday night so I can blitz em in the AM. I kind of think that if Friday doesn't go well the weekend may be a wash litterally. I know this is a Bah Hum Bug kind of attitude but atleast I'll be in the woods and not at work.

ITS MIZZOU! I dreAM ABouT iT! **** it could snow on me! i dont care man. id love to sit the fields in MO. Its so damn thick and high here in the mountains of VA! we just walk to the top at about 4am and hope we see em fly down! its more or less luck down here! they are quiet right now too!!!! no crow call, no owl call, no nuthing! the turkeys here are proffesional mimes!

I just don't want the rain to keep them from being vocal.

Rain will likely shut most things down or at the very least, throw things off their normal schedule. Best bet is to try to nail one right off the roost. I've done this in a driving rainstorm. But after the roost, everything changes. For years, I've run & gun in the rain with very limited success, but this year, I will not even bother. I'm going to set up a blind, or at least my big umbrella, put out every decoy I own, and sit there like a bump on a wet log. The birds will move all day, mostly likely in a group, all wet and miserable, but they will move. I'll try to find any sort of pattern, and just wait for them.

Sadly, I'll be hunting MoMo, Kansas, and Nebraska all next week, and I predict it will be a total disaster. I will be very lucky to get even one bird.

But, it happens, and there is nothing we can do about it, so I'll give it my best :)

I think that's about it gonna be a waiting game. I will have to turn into a deer hunter almost to have or create some dumb luck.

I just contacted all of our outfitters and asked for the use of as many blinds as possible.

Also, I plan on sitting in some deer blinds and old barns.

They tend to move around all day in the rain, unless it's a real downpour, so there is always a chance :)

your not listening.. if you are hunting in MO.. you have to have some sort of medical issue to not stumble upon a turkey.

Some years this is true, but not every year, and certainly not a given if you only spend a short period of time there :)

But, being from MoMo, it's pretty near and dear to my heart, and I enjoy hunting there in general. I'll put in my time and see what happens:

trip021.jpg

i would give my right testical to hunt there.. its on ebay for $3.99 thats about all its worth!

Those are cheap these days. I am gonna put my time in this weekend thats for sure. I have been on my share of hot gobblers before in northern and central VA when I was in the Marine Corps and the show me state is what I would consider the best against any other state. I just know how finiky toms can be even with great weather. The steady rain just compounds the problem.