I just dont like the 870

needinga8gauge

I never liked the 870 rem . First shotgun well pump i shot was a wingmaster 870 fired about 75 rds that afternoon.Just doesnt feel good like my mav 88.It's not just a remington thing . Before i held or knew the parderner pump was a chinese clone of the 870. i held one at a dicksporting goods it was 150$. Walnut the stock wast like a piece of trimming and very crappy feel.I mean i have a mav 88 which a cheap gun but its very comfortable and is one of the smoothest actions ive racked . I walked out of dsporting goods that day with a stoeger p-350 about 115$ more but it felt good and besides it was 3.5" .I here quality on 870 nowadays is down hill so the one i held was a older model that was built to spec and i still didnt like it . My favorite pumps have to be the bps 10, 12 ga supernova ,mav 88 .and if they made a synthectic ithaca 37 .well theres my rant i pretty mcuh like all pumps but the 870 and clones there - crap . this coming from a person who owns p-350 and mav 88 which are considered low quality be 870 owners .maybe their in denial :D

The only time where I would pick the 870 is if I had to use in pitch dark situation or someone poured acid into my eyes or peper sprayed me. But that's only because that is the only survival weapon I was trained with to use blindfoled. Yes, I'm comfortable with the 870, however, I would have rather recieved that same training with a Nova, but the service goes for pricing, and 870 was a budget choice.

I shoot a few guns that I don't really like. My current turkey gun is a BPS. I shoot it because it patterns the best of all my shotguns. It is heavy and cumbersome. It is as smooth as 80 grit sandpaper. It is nearly impossible to clean. It collects dust and sand like a Dyson vacuum. It kicks like a mule. But, it tosses a very good pattern, so I carry the gun around.

I just bought a new 870 yesterday. Couldn't pass up the deal. It's an 870 SM in MO Bottomland, and comes with a few bells and whistles. I probably will not love it. But it might be 'the' next turkey gun, so I'm going to give it a try.

The Nova has done nothing for me over the years. Hard to pattern rattletraps, no thanks....

To Tuckers testiment.....A lot of us have cut our teeth shooting at 870 wingmaster, and looking back 20-30 years you still find that reliable shooting iron in my hands every fall. The history speaks for itself.

I havent bought a new pump shotgun in forever, because I dont have to the one I have had since I was 12 works just fine.

Like it or leave.....shoot what you like.

I paid 10 bucks less for my nova than an 870 supermag. The 870 came with 1 choke and novas come with 3. Dicks was running a special to if you bought a nova, you got a free soft case to.

Actually, now that I think about it, Correctional Service Canada most likely purchased their security 870's 20 years ago when Benelli wasn't an option. I'm guessing they bought approx. 1000 of them at the time. They still use the same 870's to this day which most have only seen rounds for training purposes and all still in good condition.:cool:

now if remington ever makes the 870 in 10 ga with 30" barrel it will be the most awesome thing since cheese in a can .or if they make a pump action variety of the sp-10 :D

I shoot a SBEII and I love it. My best friend/hunting partner shoots an 870 magnum and loves it. Neither of us would trade our gun for anything else. We could argue all day long about what gun is "better" but in the end nobody would win, they all have there own purpose/demographic. Personally I would prefer to shoot my benelli over his Remmy but thats just a matter of preference.

However with that said: I would be interested in a 10 gauge 870 with a 26-30" barrel.

Actually, now that I think about it, Correctional Service Canada most likely purchased their security 870's 20 years ago when Benelli wasn't an option. I'm guessing they bought approx. 1000 of them at the time. They still use the same 870's to this day which most have only seen rounds for training purposes and all still in good condition.:cool:

Thats good to know that an 870 that doesn't get used still works after 20 years.

I 've never heard of someone breaking an 870. Ever?? The new ones just don't have the feel as the old ones.

The Nova has done nothing for me over the years. Hard to pattern rattletraps, no thanks....

I've killed many animals over the years with my Nova's. I guess I don't count pellets and don't buy many chokes/shells to check my pattern. Sounds like patterning shotguns for you is as much of a hobby as to anything else. I repect that. I've reloaded for pistol for years and love the fact I can taylor my load to my needs.

Maybe one day I'll count my pellet like you.:) But I figure right now, if its not broke (for me) don't fix it.;)

I've killed many animals over the years with my Nova's. I guess I don't count pellets and don't buy many chokes/shells to check my pattern. Sounds like patterning shotguns for you is as much of a hobby as to anything else. I repect that. I've reloaded for pistol for years and love the fact I can taylor my load to my needs.

Maybe one day I'll count my pellet like you. But I figure right now, if its not broke (for me) don't fix it.

Good for you :)

They way I figure it, I hunt 100+ days per year, so I may as well have the best equipment I can afford. Turkey hunting used to be simple for me, but it's not anymore. I started off with the factory full choke in my SBE and kilt quite a few toms with lead #4's. Then the passion to turkey hunt started to grow slowly. Now after 15+ years of this, I find myself in situations where some difficult shots present themselves, and I want the equipment necessary to make these difficult shots.

If I only hunted locally, or shot just a few birds a year, I doubt I would do all that I do. But I don't, so I do!

I kill innocent animals for my own personal pleasure, no sport involved, a gun vs. an animal, the animal loses.

All I can really offer the animal is a quick death, so that's why I use H-13, pattern my guns, etc.

When I kill a 3-4 year old tom, I've just snuffed out an animal that survived at least 1000 days and nights on his own, living in a tree at night, on the ground by day. He outlived the other 80-90% of the chicks in his clutch that died in the nest. He survived 10-14 days on the ground as a non-flying poult, followed by another few weeks where he can barely fly into the smallest bush. He survived at least three hunting seasons and three long winters. Then, one fine spring day, he is wandering around, looking for love, and I blow his head off with a $4.00 moly-coated tungsten shell.

I think he is worth the effort.....

The older 870 Wingmasters were a quality shotgun but all this new stuff can't hold a candle to the older Wingmasters!

Would never buy a new shotgun from Remington due to quality and craftmanship issues!

I agree. I have a 28ga 870 wingmaster from the 70s with a fixed choke skeet barrel. I love dove hunting with that gun. So smooth!!

Good for you :)

They way I figure it, I hunt 100+ days per year, so I may as well have the best equipment I can afford. Turkey hunting used to be simple for me, but it's not anymore. I started off with the factory full choke in my SBE and kilt quite a few toms with lead #4's. Then the passion to turkey hunt started to grow slowly. Now after 15+ years of this, I find myself in situations where some difficult shots present themselves, and I want the equipment necessary to make these difficult shots.

If I only hunted locally, or shot just a few birds a year, I doubt I would do all that I do. But I don't, so I do!

I kill innocent animals for my own personal pleasure, no sport involved, a gun vs. an animal, the animal loses.

All I can really offer the animal is a quick death, so that's why I use H-13, pattern my guns, etc.

When I kill a 3-4 year old tom, I've just snuffed out an animal that survived at least 1000 days and nights on his own, living in a tree at night, on the ground by day. He outlived the other 80-90% of the chicks in his clutch that died in the nest. He survived 10-14 days on the ground as a non-flying poult, followed by another few weeks where he can barely fly into the smallest bush. He survived at least three hunting seasons and three long winters. Then, one fine spring day, he is wandering around, looking for love, and I blow his head off with a $4.00 moly-coated tungsten shell.

I think he is worth the effort.....

I wish every hunter felt this way. I've seen a huge lack of respect for the animals we are lucky enough to hunt every year lately.

I wish every hunter felt this way. I've seen a huge lack of respect for the animals we are lucky enough to hunt every year lately.

Meh.

Deer are the opposite. There are way too many of them in my area, and they have absolutely no natural predator besides humans with guns.

I almost hit a dozen or so deer every single day driving home from work.

I have absolutely no respect for deer, they are a pest animal and need to be severely cut back in number ... which is why plenty of people I know hunt deer year round, regardless of what "season" it is.

There are still more and more deer each year, regardless of how many are killed. Granted, this isn't always the case, but sometimes it is.

If I could kill a deer a day just for the heck of it, I would.

It's not even worth getting into it with him. Been down that road.

Because your main argument is a bunch of sentimental BS, and my argument is based on population numbers and the way the food chain works?

If you want to start a conversation about this, start a new topic, and I'd be glad to lay out my logic in full.

Edited by Duggan