M4 Recoil/chokes

HuntNFam

Looking at purchasing an M4 for my wife, primarily to keep in the car, etc.

She's a little concerned about recoil--she's not super recoil sensitive, but all we see shooting it are burly marine-types.....She's more of the pretty/petit type.....And anyway, if the chips are really down, the less muzzle rise for any of us the better....

I believe it accepts choke tubes, although don't see much about that on the information page...does anyone know if any ported tubes are available, and will they affect the gas operation should we decide we would like further recoil reduction?

Any chance it comes in pink? Bet that would intimidate the bad guy.....see my 125# wife pointing that thing in pink their direction......

Edited by HuntNFam

The recoil is pretty tame compared to other 12 gauges. It does have a removable choke. The weight of the weapon my be a hindrance to her.

However, from a defensive standpoint from a vehicle, a handgun may be a better choice. The idea of leaving a 1500 dollar weapon in a vehicle while you're at the bank or getting groceries isn't appealing to me.

I'm sure a pink nightmare edition would sell a few units. However, it isn't a factory option. It would be something you'd have to have done aftermarket.

My M4 weighs almost 2 pounds more than my 18" Win 1200 w/ mag extension, and there's no comparison between the way the two recoil.

The M4's stock also fits me pretty well, which I'm sure is a factor. If you can find one in a local store, have her try it on. If it fits and she can keep it pointed for a reasonable length of time, she should be good to go.

I've never used them, but I've read multiple times that ported tubes really don't cut down on recoil.

I also agree that a shotty isn't a good car SD solution. A 4 inch medium frame revolvers' what I recommend for that.

Grizz

Yeah, we've got the handgun option covered. Just kinda feel like a handgun is best to fight your way to a bigger weapon.... and looking to upgrade what is locked in the trunk.

Good thought on the stock--all her other long guns are cut to fit, and the weight. Will try to find one that she can try on for size, if we need to order one we can just keep it for a while & sell it if we don't like...

Thanks for the info on the recoil & ported tubes.

Any particular reason you want a shotgun for your trunk as opposed to a rifle?

You can get a good black rifle for the same price as an m4, and it will be a lot lighter / lighter recoiling / longer range / more ammo.

I don't see many situations where my handgun would be insufficient, but a shotgun would be sufficient. Close range, sudden encounters are going to be handgun territory ... any type of situation where you have some time or distance (think active shooter scenario, etc) a rifle would be far superior imo.

A practical rifle with a few 30 rounders can do a whole lot of damage to a whole lot of targets at a whole lot more range.

The recoil is pretty tame compared to other 12 gauges. It does have a removable choke. The weight of the weapon my be a hindrance to her.

However, from a defensive standpoint from a vehicle, a handgun may be a better choice. The idea of leaving a 1500 dollar weapon in a vehicle while you're at the bank or getting groceries isn't appealing to me.

I'm sure a pink nightmare edition would sell a few units. However, it isn't a factory option. It would be something you'd have to have done aftermarket.

I thought all you Arizona boys rolled around with loaded rifles in the center console racks? You wimping out on me? :D