243 vs. 270

420W

My son is 10 yrs old i want to get him started on a centerfire rifle. my first choice was a 243 but i'm wondering if a 270 would make a better long term investment. What is the difference in recoil between the two?

The .243 is a very diverse caliber.

Using 70 grain boat tail hollow points, he can confidently shoot varmints at medium ranges.

Switching to a 90 or 100 grain soft point or partition bullet, he can take whitetail deer anywhere in the Eastern US.

The .270 is going to be more a big game rifle, capable of taking whitetail, mule deer, and even elk with good shot placement.

The .270 is going to deliver quite a kick compared to the .243.

Starting a youngster off with more gun that he's ready for can be very damaging to his shooting skills and to his overall take on hunting.

Remington has a new caliber that fits nicely between the .243 and .270.

It's the .260, and just about everyone who reviews it loves it.

Right now, it's available in just a few bullet weights, but I'd expect that to change as the cartridge becomes more widely used.

Also consider the .260 Remington.

Recoil is similar to the .243, but it hits more like a .270 on the other end.

Remington developed the cartridge, but the rifle can be made by anyone.

Savage rifle are hands down the most accurate mass-produced rifles in the world - at any price.

They are "modular" in design. You can change stocks, bolt heads, and barrels, and therfore calibers, quite easily in a home workshop, as long as you stay within certain parameters of action and magazine lengths.

Stevens rifles use the same action as the Savages do.

Many savvy gun enthusiasts are buying the $250 Stevens 200 just to get the action, then adding the aftermarket stock, barrell, and trigger of their choice; and still coming out under the cost of a factory Remington, Winchester, or Browning.

Originally posted by 420W:

My son is 10 yrs old i want to get him started on a centerfire rifle. my first choice was a 243 but i'm wondering if a 270 would make a better long term investment.

Long term, yes, I would have to say that it is a better investment. However, I killed my first elk with a lever action .243, Browning.

Originally posted by tucker301:

Starting a youngster off with more gun that he's ready for can be very damaging to his shooting skills and to his overall take on hunting.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I know for fact that the reason I am so sensitive to recoil is due to my first experiences shooting my dads 30-06 when I was 12. Whatever you choose for your kid, take time to prepare them so that nothing is a surprise. No need to fear recoil, but when it's a surprise your first thought is "Holy $hit! That hurt!" and for a child, that turns into a declining interest to hunt and or shoot.

Originally posted by tucker301:

Remington has a new caliber that fits nicely between the .243 and .270. It's the .260, and just about everyone who reviews it loves it.

Remington Model Seven CDL

As for your second question:

Originally posted by 420W:

What is the difference in recoil between the two?

.243 Win. (75 at 3400) 7.2

.243 Win. (100 at 2960) 8.8

.270 Win. (130 at 3140) 16.5

.270 Win. (150 at 2900) 17.0

.270 WSM (150 at 3000) 18.9

.270 Wby. Mag. (150 at 3000) 17.8

Double? Fear of recoil can be overcome, and or avoided. Just make sure to prepare him. Make sure he's holding the gun right, etc, to reduce the recoil.

Good luck in your search. I hope you find something that fits your kid well.

To put in my two cents, I've taken 27 deer with a .270 and watched all but 1 fall. Leads me to believe it is very effective, yes I know Jack O'connor would be proud. Yes it does kick, last year during our does only season I took a couple of does with Rem's new managed recoil loads. One was just shy of 150 yrds. Ballistically on par with a 300 Savage and the recoil of a 30-30, they do shoot about 2" lower at a 100 yards than reg 130 grain factory loads, but still in line. At least in my Rem. pump. This may be an option. If you do have him use full trottle loads cover his ears and layer him real good, so he doesn't get beat up too badly. When he's shooting at a deer he won't know the difference in recoil from a .22 or a .375 H&H. Hope this helps. I know about recoil woes this is deer only deer rifle I've ever used or needed for the past 25yrs now and it does quite well on Colorado's elk also.

John

Originally posted by john h:

When he's shooting at a deer he won't know the difference in recoil from a .22 or a .375 H&H.

This is absolutely correct, as he will be far too excited to notice. However, recoil sensitivity is born while practicing with your rifle, sighting it in and whatnot.