MR1 Rifle Convert - First impressions . . .

reblyell

I would like to share my first impressions, and observations, about the Benelli MR1 rifle with you all. Being an AR15 enthusiast, I, like most, was a bit skeptical about it given its unorthodox appearance. Nevertheless, I finally gave in to curiosity and purchased one to knock around with in the backyard, figuring I would just sell it off if I didn’t like it. Well, I like it and it’s a keeper! This is a very solid and well built rifle IMHO. Its fit and finish is excellent as should be expected from Benelli. It has a smooth and positive action, possesses excellent point ability, and (again, IMHO) has the best pistol grip ever put on a rifle (although taken from the M4). The controls took a bit of getting used to, but after a day of shooting, they became second nature. In my various readings about this rifle, it has been stated that its rate of fire is faster than an AR15 due to its piston design. I cannot honestly verify this. The rifle does ‘feel’ like it’s faster while firing, though. Perhaps if someone were to film a ‘side by side’ firing comparison using a high-speed camera, the answer would be revealed.

As far as accuracy, the ‘pencil barrel’, that seems to be a point of contention among some, delivered decent accuracy (once more, IMHO) using Federal XM193 55 grain FMJ. Off the shoulder, and after I had the sights adjusted, I managed to consistently knock down 2 liter soda bottles at 50 and 60 yards (perhaps a little further), for what it’s worth. I imagine that since it’s being marketed as a self defense rifle, the above results are satisfactory. Perhaps to some, it’s not. I haven’t mounted optics on her yet, but as per forum member Mofugra Maltlicra’s, following post indicates, perhaps I’ll be pleasantly surprised when I do!

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21862&highlight=mr1

I like the fact that the weapon comes with a ‘large peep/dual white dot’ rear sight replacement aperture. The one mounted on the rifle at the factory is a small peep with no white dots. The rifle’s front sight post is easily removed via a grub screw. After examination, I am wondering if the M4 Super 90’s ‘white dot’ front sight post can be installed (perhaps with slight modification) in its place. This would then complete a ‘three dot’ sight picture for those who prefer such a set up.

Reloading this rifle is not as smooth as say, an AR15 or SIG 556 (for comparison). The inherent design of the magazine well makes it a bit tricky to just 'slap in a mag and go'. There are ridges in the magazine well that can catch the mag's body, and you must finagle it a bit to fully insert it. No big deal once you get a feel for it. It’s just something to consider for those into 'speed reloading' practices. On the bright side, the magazine is held securely positioned with little hint of play. The magazines I used during firing were 'old school' GI pre-ban twenty rounders with aluminum followers. They preformed flawlessly in the rifle. I didn’t have any thirty round mags available at the time, but I see no reason why they shouldn’t work just as well. This video shows that they apparently do:

Disassembling and cleaning this rifle is a bit more labor intensive than the other gas operated semi-autos I own. There is even more of an effort involved if you (like I do) are intent on removing the ‘piston extension retaining spring’ in order to access the inner piston area for scrubbing. DSC01052A.jpg

I do this to avoid any possible corrosion similar similar to forum member stid2677’s, R1 rifle dilemma seen in the following link:http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/show...&highlight=mr1

I highly recommend NOT using the hand guard unit's pin (as shown in the owner's manual) to remove, or replace, the spring tensioned gas system assembly knob. DSC01053.jpg

I haven't had the nerve to try it, but with the force involved to fully seat the knob (as I discovered during the ‘fresh from the box’ assembly) I'd rather not press the part's luck! I merely improvised with a correct sized metal punch body. A small screwdriver shaft works well too. Just be careful while turning that you don’t hit the barrel and scuff it. I came close a few times! This video will give you a bit more insight to what I have mentioned:

One interesting thing about this rifle is what I'll call, the 'Spring Loaded Chamber Device'. I've never seen such a device before, and I’d guess that its actual function is to align the bolt face with the chamber. I wonder if it also contributes to the rifle's rapidness of fire. Perhaps like a trampoline for the bolt assembly? If you have (or ever handle) an MR1, take a look at it. Anyway, it's just an observation.

I know it’s still too early to tell, since the rifle has only been on the market for a short while now, but I’m surprised that it hasn’t caught on with greater acceptance. I realize that it’s up against the AR15 market, which is a heck of a giant to do battle with, but it is my hope that this rifle will have a long future ahead of it. Hopefully the aftermarket world will recognize it and start offering products. So for now, the main question is if the MR1 is a ‘novelty’, or a ‘no nonsense’ rifle? Only time and owner’s opinions will tell. Last, but not least, forum member Cody6.0, sums it up well in stating, “So far I must say I am impressed with this thing the trigger is light years beyond my AR it has a short sight to bore and the opereation is very smooth. This thing can spit lead faster than my AR could also the piston drive on it cycles very, very fast.” Thank you for reading, friends! Hope you enjoyed and found it informative! Best!

Edited by reblyell
Text Revision - Photos Added

Hey Rebl, there's a forum dedicated to your new gun near the bottom of the forums list. thought you might want to share your good report with them too. ;)

Thanks Tex! I didn't even notice it. Of course, my eyes arent what they used to be! LOL! Do you think that an MR1 post really belongs there, though? Best! :)

Edited by reblyell

Thanks for the report! I still haven't had a chance to see one in person yet. Maybe one will turn up at the gun show next weekend.

Later,

Hookster :)

Thanks for reading my report, Hook! Good luck at the show! I don't know where you reside, but here in Orange County, NY, they're not easy to find in person. I've never seen one at a gun show yet either. In fact, I had to drive a good distance to get mine from a store that had them. Of course, there's many of them available on the internet, but I prefer to avoid buying things unhandled and unseen if possible. Best! :)

• 2 months later...

The MR1 is marketed by Benelli as a "home defense" weapon and their big selling point is the "Argo" system that "works first time every time". For $1200 it better. For the retail price of $1200 I expect my rifle to group better than 6.5" at 100 yards, bench rest (several times).

I’m not a newbie, but I’m not an expert either. I have been shooting for years and I have had no problems with any other of my rifles like I have had with this one.

I don’t care very much for the AR-15 platform and when I saw the MR1 I loved it. It’s too bad that it isn’t accurate, I love the feel and balance of this rifle, trigger pull is clean, but for the price it’s just not worth what you’re getting.

I've tried several types of ammo in my MR1 trying to find something it liked, different manufacturers, weights, match ammo and the rifle still is inaccurate.

As far as the "Argo system working first time every time" and it being a "home defense" weapon, it doesn't matter if it works every time if you can’t hit your target.

Just a note, I read on a previous thread about the concerns about the “pencil barrel” as someone called it, on the MR1.

For the heck of it I measured the O.D. of the MR1 and my sons cheap Remington .22LR.

MR1=.549” at the muzzle, Remington .22LR =.664” at the muzzle and .743” back to the beginning of the front stock (9.5” back from the muzzle). The Benelli does increase in size the farther back you go on the barrel. O.D. in front of the Argo system = .610”, O.D. just behind Argo system = .672”.

That’s a .071” difference in O.D. between a 5.56 and a .22LR in favor of the .22 LR.:eek:

I would suggest 2 things. First, if you are going to use this as a home defense weapon, make sure it's used under 40yds, you should be able to hit your target at that distance. Secondly for the price of this weapon you can pick up 3 real home defense weapons, 12 gauge shotguns.

As you can probably tell by the tone of this comment I’m not happy with the whole Benelli experience, the customer service at Benelli is clueless concerning the simplest questions and has been no help at all. The Benelli branches in Italy and America have no idea what each is doing.

For those of you that like your MR1 I’m happy for you and hope you continue to enjoy it. For those of you thinking of buying one, I’d try one to make sure you like it before plunking down over a $1000. Or better yet, go to a sporting goods store and pick up a $40 Louisville Slugger, it works first time every time and is much cheaper.

As you can probably tell by the tone of this comment I’m not happy with the whole Benelli experience, the customer service at Benelli is clueless concerning the simplest questions and has been no help at all. The Benelli branches in Italy and America have no idea what each is doing.

I'm sorry that your experience with the rifle is negative. You are absolutley correct about Benelli CS being clueless, and that both branches seem to be pulling in different directions. I called them to order up a few spare 'O' Rings, and it took four tries before I reached a CS rep that knew what time it was. She informed me that Benelli USA is waiting for spare parts to be shipped from Italy, and would send me the parts once they arrived. That was almost two months ago. I wish I could recall her name, because she was 'on the ball' (even referenced the part number for me!) I read your other post concerning the 'missing' sight aperture. FWIW, my second aperture came in a little bag stapled to the warranty card. Examine your card, and see if there are staple holes in it. Of course this doesn't help answer where the sight went. Anyway, hope this helped somewhat. Best!

I read your other post concerning the 'missing' sight aperture. FWIW, my second aperture came in a little bag stapled to the warranty card. Examine your card, and see if there are staple holes in it. Of course this doesn't help answer where the sight went. Anyway, hope this helped somewhat. Best!

Hi reblyell,

Thanks for the input. I checked my card but there are no staple holes. I pulled apart the shipping box and gun box that my rifle came in, just in the off chance that the sight fell into the packing paper, but I didn't find it. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate you trying to help out. My negative attitude in my previous post comes from several events over that last several months that have taken place since I bought my MR1 involving Benelli CS (what a waste of time).

OK enough of that. Forgive me if any of my messages come out goofy, I'm new to forums and I really don't know what I'm doing.

Well, anyway enjoy your MR1. happy shooting

You're welcome and thanks, NoRights! Believe me, I don't blame you for having a negative attitude given that you spent hard earned dough for disappointment! I only wish that you had found the darn sight! I know you are not happy with your groups at present using the large ghost ring, but I would bet that if you were to switch out to the smaller peep sight (when you acquire one), you'd be surprised how your groups would tighten up. I recommend you keep hammering away at Benelli CS until proper results are realized. The only other thing I can think of is to go back to the shop that you purchased it from and inquire about it. The sight may very well have fallen from the box when/if they inspected/stored the weapon. It happened to me once with a Mini-14 purchase. The 5 shot magazine was missing from the rifle and box. Sure enough, the salesman found it on the stock room floor (or so he said). Also, I've seen MR1 rifles on display racks that had the second sight (in bag) stapled to the sales/hang tag. :eek: Why the heck a dealer would do that is beyond me. Good luck and best! P.S. - Welcome to the forums despite the reason(s) that brought you here!

Edited by reblyell

1- Not all MR1's came with both rear apperatures the early ones only came with the small then around #800 they went to the larger one. The last models come with both large and small.

2- I too wanted some spare o-rings and have been waiting since November of 2009.

3- I won't bad mouth Benelli CS but I will say that it's pathetic that they don't have parts for a gun Beretta has been making for about 4 years.

I too wanted some spare o-rings and have been waiting since November of 2009.

Well, now I don't feel so bad! (Just kidding, Cody!) It is pretty pathetic about Benelli's parts situation as you indicated. Then again, they must have some parts. I would imagine that someone, somewhere in this good old U.S. of A. had to send their MR1 back for a repair. That is unless the odds are in Benelli's favor, and every rifle shipped out has been an infallible gem. Imagine that?

I've owned three MR1's so far and must say that the out of the box fit and function was very good. But like you said I would imagine that there were a couple that needed something. I guess the way I see it is that back in November the MR1 was just out and parts may not have been in stock. But here it is eight months later and I bet there still not in stock yet.

It almost makes me wonder whos to blame here Benelli USA or Beretta USA. Although Beretta usually takes care of me their CS in general is a bit lacking. Thier automated crap gets old and thats all before you wait on hold for a half hour.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Reb,

Just wondering how you clean the gas piston. Do you use any kind of solvent or is it all elbow grease?

Hey, NoRights! I use BreakFree CLP and a brass bristled brush for the tough spots. If it's really stubborn, I'll soak it in CLP overnight. If you do use the brass brush, take care not to hit/brush the O-ring!!! :eek: For the inner gas chamber on the barrel I use Q-Tips to get out as much carbon as possible. Sometimes I'll flush it with boiling water after soaking it in CLP. FWIW, I have never got ALL of the carbon out of that area. Hope this helps. Best! P.S. How are you getting along with your MR1 so far? Liking it yet?

Thanks for the info Reb. I noticed the pics of your piston assembly that you had posted on the site and it looked really clean, almost new. Can't get mine to look that way. I've used a brass brush and Scothbrite but can't get it to look as good as yours. I'll try the CLP. Sorry to say, my MR1 is up for sale on an auction site. I bought the MR1 to shoot in a high power league (hard sights) at my club, but I need the smaller aperature for that and with Benelli not knowing and apparently not caring anything about parts I have to move on. It's a shame too, cuz I like the gun. Thanks again Reb. Happy shooting.

You're welcome for the input, and I'm sorry to hear you're letting her go, NoRights. But if you have to move on, then so be it. May I ask what you're planning on replacing her with? Whatever it may be . . . Happy shooting to you too! Best! :) P.S. As far as my cleanliness factor is concerned . . . I forgot to mention that if the carbon build-up is real bad, I use a 'mud' mixture of CLP and FLITZ metal polish, applied with an old sock. Works great, but be sure to rinse real good! Again, good luck with your new venture!

Edited by reblyell
Information added

• 2 weeks later...

Good news Cody. I just received an email from the customer service manager for Benelli USA. According to her your "o" rings ARE IN. Give them a call. The email follows.

"I am in receipt of your email concerning your MR1. I have left voice message for you as well as there are many details I find disturbing as the Customer Service Manager here at Benelli and wanted to speak with you personally. I would like to try and address all of your concerns...

We have O-rings in stock at present for that model so I am not sure how I can help your complaints on behalf of your forum buddies but you can certainly forward them my email.

I look forward to hearing from you in regards to your concerns."

Paula

Good news Rebl. I just received an email from the customer service manager for Benelli USA. According to her your "o" rings ARE IN. Give them a call. The email follows.

"I am in receipt of your email concerning your MR1. I have left voice message for you as well as there are many details I find disturbing as the Customer Service Manager here at Benelli and wanted to speak with you personally. I would like to try and address all of your concerns...

We have O-rings in stock at present for that model so I am not sure how I can help your complaints on behalf of your forum buddies but you can certainly forward them my email.

I look forward to hearing from you in regards to your concerns."

Paula

Thanks for the info, NoRights! I haven't heard from Benelli, nor are there 'O' Rings in my mailbox. I will certainly call them to politely 'remind' them to send the now available rings to me. Congrats on you 'breaking ground' with Benelli CS! Does this mean that there is a chance you will keep your MR1? Please keep us posted on your hopeful progress with CS. Good luck! Best!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try to keep it short, but in a nutshell I emailed every top executive that I could find in Benelli USA telling them how ridiculous it was that they did not have nor could they get parts for the MR1 as I was told several times by CS and that I had been trying to get problems with my MR1 resolved since January. I also mentioned that a couple of people on the forum had been waiting for simple parts like “O” rings since November 2009 and that this was totally unacceptable. I told them I had had enough and was selling my MR1 on an auction site and would bad mouth them every chance I got. Also said some other things to get their attention, but I won’t get into it. I sent the emails out late on a Friday, received an email and phone call from the Manager of Customer Service on Monday AM. After a conversation with her she offered to take my rifle back, put on the small peep sight (that they supposedly couldn’t get), make sure that it was all up to spec. and picked up the shipping charges both ways. They got it back to me in 8 days (pretty impressive). I used it for the first time in my high power league and it shoots fine now…I’m keeping it. If you have a problem with CS about your “O” rings ask to talk to Paula Murdock, she is the CS Manager she told me several times that the “O” rings were in stock. Good luck my friend.