Holographic or Reflex sights ...

Butch-M

Who makes the best Red Dot or Reflex or Holographic sight to be installed on an SBEII; to be used on both running game with buckshot, and turkeys with Extended Range #6's??? Please don't hesitate to include specific reasons for your choice as this is new territory in my hunting exeriences and I'm sure there's a lot I haven't taken into consideration during my research yet. educate me! LOL I see Zeiss has two good looking sights "Z Point" & "Compact Point" and Eotech seems to have a lot available. Then there's a hundred Red Dots out there too.

THANKS!

The best? Aimpoint. No question. Modern aimpoints set the standard in 1x optics.

I kind of prefer eotechs (the whole holograph thing is great imo) ... but they are an inferior product compared to an aimpoint, in terms of durability, battery life, reliability, etc ...

That said, they are expensive, and all but the T1/H1 models are somewhat large for a shotgun.

A Trijicon RMR is also worth looking at.

I've got an EOtech 556. It is kind of finicky (stopped working after 30 days and I had to send it off to L3 for warranty work). GREAT sight, but I'm going to leave it on my carbine.

For the Benelli, I'm hoping to get a Trij RMR. Specifically, the dual-illuminated, battery-free RMR that runs tritium and fiber optics. Gotta save up some dough for that though.

I really love the EOtech's parralax-free holographic reticle and wide-open field of view for a CQB carbine; but I'm not convinced that it's durable enough for rugged use. I'll get an Aimpoint for next time I need a carbine optic. Battle rifles--18" and 20" barrels--will get 4x Trijicons with piggy-backed RMR's going forward.

Edited by LeoAtrox

I've got an EOtech 556. It is kind of finicky (stopped working after 30 days and I had to send it off to L3 for warranty work). GREAT sight, but I'm going to leave it on my carbine.

For the Benelli, I'm hoping to get a Trij RMR. Specifically, the dual-illuminated, battery-free RMR that runs tritium and fiber optics. Gotta save up some dough for that though.

I really love the EOtech's parralax-free holographic reticle and wide-open field of view for a CQB carbine; but I'm not convinced that it's durable enough for rugged use. I'll get an Aimpoint for next time I need a carbine optic. Battle rifles--18" and 20" barrels--will get 4x Trijicons with piggy-backed RMR's going forward.

Yea ... I owned 3 eotechs, one set of battery terminals got real corroded (perhaps it was the batteries, not the eotech, but I have my doubts, as there are lots of reports of this), another one stopped getting any brighter than the stock "on" setting, lvl 6 or whatever ... both sent in and fixed.

All of them ate batteries like no tomorrow ... I had 2 "N" battery models and one cr123 model ... all of them burned through batteries like absolute crazy, there is NO WAY I used those sights for the rated number of hours, they were leeching battery life like crazy when "off".

I sold all 3 of them and bought an Aimpoint T1. I like it less ... I prefer the holograph of the eotech, but you can leave a T1 on for literally years at a time on one set of batteries, and they are absolutely bombproof in their construction.

There are accounts all over more rifle oriented forums of eotechs going down during classes, in combat, on the job, etc. I just simply have lost faith in them, as have many others ... not to say that they can't redeem themselves, but until they make some major changes I would not suggest that anyone buys an eotech for a gun they plan on using seriously.

That said, the ACOG + 1x optic is a super sweet combo ... check out my MRP :D

Edited by Duggan

My Benelli M4 beat an EOTech 552 to death. It turned the reticle fuzzy. Even a trip back on warranty didn't resolve it. It wasn't just my eyes either. Battery life was terrible. It would blink and say a brand new battery was dying randomly.

The only good think about the EOTech was it held its resale value. When I refurbed it, they gave me a new box to sell it in. I got about 360 dollars for an optic I paid 400 for 5 years prior with a full disclosure of what I felt was wrong with it.

Aimpoint T1's for me now. I had an Aimpoint CompM4 before. It was overly large and heavy. I just added the Aimpoint 3x magnifier to my MRP. Awesome setup with the t1 and the LaRue mounts.

Sure thing. My barrels are at ADCO right now. I'm having the .223 gas port opened more to function better with anemic ammo and my 22lr contoured to .625", cut to 16" OAL with a PWS brake pinned and painted. Also sent my second MRP's barrel in for a similar treatment but in OD green.

The LaRue pivot mount is what makes the 3x magnifier a winner.

What sucks is Failzero no longer accepts parts to be coated. So now I have to go through Robar for NP3 Plus on the inside and Rogard black Teflon on the outside. Robar takes forever to do work.

Sure thing. My barrels are at ADCO right now. I'm having the .223 gas port opened more to function better with anemic ammo and my 22lr contoured to .625", cut to 16" OAL with a PWS brake pinned and painted. Also sent my second MRP's barrel in for a similar treatment but in OD green.

The LaRue pivot mount is what makes the 3x magnifier a winner.

What sucks is Failzero no longer accepts parts to be coated. So now I have to go through Robar for NP3 Plus on the inside and Rogard black Teflon on the outside. Robar takes forever to do work.

Indeed, I liked the fiber optics of the TA11 way too much though to pass it up.

I posted a whole bunch more pics in the MRP thread ... you know where to look.

Having a 1x and 3-4x optic at the same time is sick.

Your photos came out really good. Taking a photo of the reticle is a real PITA without a manual focus. I considered going the same route with the optic. I ended up going with the Aimpoints since most of my targets are well within 50 yards. I'd go with a SBR again, but I travel out of State with it weekly. Too much hassle to take a Class 3 weapon out of State so often.

I tried mounting my magnifier as far to the rear as possible like I've seen others do, but it didn't work for me. I shoot nose to charging handle. So I had to push it forward to get proper eye relief.

I wish Aimshot would make a FDE rubber cover for the 3x magnifier.

Here's a couple barrel-less shots:

4565242732_526c4a63c0.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3500/4565242732_526c4a63c0_b.jpg

4565242844_ac511c880a.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/4565242844_ac511c880a_b.jpg

For those that were having such bad luck with EOTech, how long ago did you buy them? Just curious.....

I've got an EOTech X*** on my FNH SLP Mark 1. It has seen a steady diet of slugs, buck, and bird. No complaints. Still on the original battery and provides enough illumination that I can't run it full on even in bright sunlight. I couldn't imagine having anything different for an optic on my shotgun. I tried one of those little micro Aimpoints (T1?) and found it lacking for my needs....glad it as on my buddy's shotgun and not mine. ;)

I would post a link to the write-up on my site but this site is intent on putting *** in the model number of the EOTech. None of the links work because of that.

Oh well, go to http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms.asp and you can find it there.

Edited by arizona98tj

I liked the reticle on the EOTech. Hated the adjustment buttons. Hated I had to turn it on all the time. The weapon was never a grab and go. You'd have to mash the buttons to get it up and running. Battery life was weak. The housing of the 552 was a monster. It took up the entire top rail of the M4.

With the T1, pulling the optic more to the rear reduces the tunnel vision effect. It doesn't feel like I have tunnel vision. On the CompM4, the tunnel vision was bad. You have so much sight body around the glass that it obstructs your FOV.

My EOTech made it through 5000 rounds of 12 gauge before I retired it and then eventually sold it. So far, I have a 1000 rounds on the T1. Right now, my MRP and Benelli M4's T1's are on burning away. In a couple years, I'll swap out their batteries just for assurance.

For what it's worth, the EOTech corroded my batteries too.

I Like, I Like! SD, You've seriously got me thinking of switching my MRP setup to T1 w/magnifier now instead of the EO Tech w/magnifier I have on there now.

Speaking of optics! I just picked up a U.S. Optics scope at the gunshow for my M1A Loaded. I cost slightly more than the rifle! It's sweet though!.....pics soon!

Later,

Hookster :)

022.jpg

Edited by Hookster

You have to hit that throw lever to get that EOTech magnifier to come off right?

Whatever you do, don't try the Aimpoint one on a LaRue mount. It'll be a costly mistake. ;)

Getting your barrel contoured down would probably be the biggest benefit you could come by for the money. It'll loose half a pound up front where it counts. Just try not to do any 500 round full auto mag dumps with the lighter profile.

I assembled the majority of my OD green MRP lastnight. It still needs sights and optics though.

Looking forward to seeing your buck a shot rifle!

You have to hit that throw lever to get that EOTech magnifier to come off right?

Whatever you do, don't try the Aimpoint one on a LaRue mount. It'll be a costly mistake. ;)

wait, so the aimpoints with LaRue mounts are bad on an AR? what happens to them?

This.

We'll hear about another epic run on a gunshow from Hookster where he spent all the animal hospitals money. :D

LaRue is bad for your bank account, and Benelli rails.

No Worries SD I can just run over a bunch of dogs and cats with my truck to drum up some more business :p Maybe I can get Ishootkittens to help!

Edited by Hookster