Will a benelli m4 run dry? What would it take to make the M4 fail?

alfred10

I want to use the M4 for homedefense. Will it feed rounds dry? How long before it fails in the field as in number of rounds dry before it starts to fail? Is CLP the best lube for it?

1) - Some work dry, some don't. There is absolutely no reason to run it dry, as you are inviting all types of friction related problems. Just don't do it.

2) - You see reports on this board of people who buy a new M4, don't lube it, and can't even get through a mag without friction based stoppages. Do you really want to find out if your M4 is going to cycle dry when you have an intruder in your house and need your m4 the most?

3) - CLP is a pretty good preservative, mediocre cleaner and a pretty awful lube. Get a proper dedicated oil that holds up to heat and doesn't evaporate and leave your firearm bone dry like CLP does. There are tons of options out there ... I use Machine Gunners Lube.

Lack of proper lubrication is one of the main causes of all m4 problems ... don't be a statistic.

How often would I lube a benelli m4 on average with CLP if it is kept under my bed to keep it running 100 percent reliable?

What are the lube points? Can I use grease?

Just don't use CLP.

Use a good dedicated lube and it shouldn't evaporate, and if you leave the weapon horizontal it won't slowly drip down into the stock either.

Lube points are pretty much the bolt carrier and the receiver rails ... that's where all the friction is. You want the bolt carrier to cycle as smoothly as possible ... this eliminates all types of problems with weak ammo, bad posture, you name it.

A little lube on the sides of the bolt (not the face) wouldn't hurt either.

1) - Some work dry, some don't. There is absolutely no reason to run it dry, as you are inviting all types of friction related problems. Just don't do it.

2) - You see reports on this board of people who buy a new M4, don't lube it, and can't even get through a mag without friction based stoppages. Do you really want to find out if your M4 is going to cycle dry when you have an intruder in your house and need your m4 the most?

3) - CLP is a pretty good preservative, mediocre cleaner and a pretty awful lube. Get a proper dedicated oil that holds up to heat and doesn't evaporate and leave your firearm bone dry like CLP does. There are tons of options out there ... I use Machine Gunners Lube.

Lack of proper lubrication is one of the main causes of all m4 problems ... don't be a statistic.

I tried some TW25B and it kicked ass> previously I used LaRue MG Lube, but the TW seems a little slicker actually, for this application.

Only an idiot would run any firearm dry.

How often would I lube a benelli m4 on average with CLP if it is kept under my bed to keep it running 100 percent reliable?

What are the lube points? Can I use grease?

TW25B. Anything where you see shiny aluminum or slicked-up ano. If it rubs, it gets grease. (Except the pistons...).

If it rotates, it gets oil.

Although lube definitely took care of things for a while, I found using the higher power stuff was the only real way to get it to function every time. I've been doing a lot of competitions lately with my M4 and the only bird shot that works every time I pull the trigger (as opposed to one stoppage every 4-5 shots) is the Remington 1300fps Nitro 1 1/8th oz #7.5 bird shot. It's powerful stuff and I didn't have a single stoppage in 140+ rounds for the day. Everything else had issues, even up to the Winchester AA equivalent to the Remington one mentioned above. It's a little frustrating at times. The entire thing is massively wet with Remington lube with teflon in it. That said, any kind of regular power buckshot is going to be more than powerful enough to cycle the M4. The kick on standard 00 buckshot is way more than even this high power birdshot will ever give.

I'm a fan of Slip 2000. I'm in the desert so I try to run as dry as possible and Slip 2000 still provides the needed lubricity when wiped off.

Dust-testing by the military proved wetter is better in the desert/sand/dust with regard to the M4 platform. Since the M4S90 also has a camming bolt, and a BCG that slides on aluminum "rails", and is also gas operated, and also has a buffer/tube/spring assy. I have drawn the conclusion that it will probably work better wetter, too...

Although lube definitely took care of things for a while, I found using the higher power stuff was the only real way to get it to function every time. I've been doing a lot of competitions lately with my M4 and the only bird shot that works every time I pull the trigger (as opposed to one stoppage every 4-5 shots) is the Remington 1300fps Nitro 1 1/8th oz #7.5 bird shot. It's powerful stuff and I didn't have a single stoppage in 140+ rounds for the day. Everything else had issues, even up to the Winchester AA equivalent to the Remington one mentioned above. It's a little frustrating at times. The entire thing is massively wet with Remington lube with teflon in it. That said, any kind of regular power buckshot is going to be more than powerful enough to cycle the M4. The kick on standard 00 buckshot is way more than even this high power birdshot will ever give.

That is really kind odd, or so I thought until I got to the part where you lube it with junk lube. Get rid of the junk lube and your M4 will probably run stuff like mine does, 1145fps target loads and crap. No problems. Never. I can hold limply in 1 hand and it cycles remington #6 1oz low-brass @1290fps.

TW25B

Use LaRue MG Lube

Slip2000

FP10

Weapon Shield CLP

Regular CLP

ANYTHING but WD-40 or Rem-Oil, lol.

(listed in order of my preference)

That is really kind odd, or so I thought until I got to the part where you lube it with junk lube. Get rid of the junk lube and your M4 will probably run stuff like mine does, 1145fps target loads and crap. No problems. Never. I can hold limply in 1 hand and it cycles remington #6 1oz low-brass @1290fps.

TW25B

Use LaRue MG Lube

Slip2000

FP10

Weapon Shield CLP

Regular CLP

ANYTHING but WD-40 or Rem-Oil, lol.

(listed in order of my preference)

Why do you prefer FP10 over Weapon Shield?