M1 barrel will not fit M1S90?

James Cook

A bit more info...I examined things in more detail last night. I completely removed the bolt and slid the barrel in so that I could see whats going on. There is a small square part of the barrel that sticks out on the end, and fits into a U-shaped slot in the top of the receiver. My original 18-inch barrel slides right in. The long barrel appears to be slightly off-center, so the edge of the square part rests on the top of the slot. It looks like if I were to file about 1/32-1/16th off of the side of the square part it would slide on in. Has anyone else had to do this? Should I do this? Should I send it in to Benelli? I don't have a pair of calipers, so I can't get an accurate measurement of the difference between the two barrels size.

Also, I have another barrel coming from a different source. Once I get it I will try it and see if it has the same issue.

Thanks,

James

I received the second barrel tonight. Upon installing, it hung up just like the first one. I decided to wiggle it a bit with some light downward pressure. This caused it to slide on in. I tried the same thing with the first barrel, and it too seated fine. In contrast, my original 18-inch barrel drops right in, with no extra effort required. Since that is what I am used to, I expected the longer barrels to behave the same way.

Putting the gun back together with one of the long barrels, the action seems to be functioning fine. I am going to a shoot on Saturday, and will put a few rounds through it to confirm. I will follow up on Saturday evening with a function report.

Thanks,

James

• 2 weeks later...