m4 stock

josey wales

does anyone know if you can shorten the fixed stock on the m4

i'am thinking about 1"

You sure can.

Takes some custom fab though ... you can cut right up to where the rear nut is that threads into the buffer tube, it takes 2 inches of so off the LOP.

I'm planning on doing it to an extra M4 stock I pick up this summer if the Urbino doesn't come out.

I'm still waiting on any info at all about the collapsible stock carriercomp is gonna come out with. I've seen some pictures on their gallery but they're not very close up. Does anybody have any info on these stocks?

I consider them Vaporware. They are on indefinite hold per Kip.

Edited by Unobtanium

• 4 months later...

Well, it's pretty simple.

Pop out the trigger group and twist the stock off.

Line the stock up next to the recoil tube, then figure in a bit more for the metal plate that it screws into (which double as the sling loop).

If you really want to see, get a screwdriver, take the two screws out holding on the buttpad, and look at how far you can go up before you hit something important.

Hoser, without the pad, It's 12", that gives a 13" LOP with the pad. I think I could go another 1/2" shorter if I wanted to.

Aggie, when you cut off the back end of the stock, you remove the bosses the butt pad screws go into, so you have to put something there, for them to thread into. I've seen both pinned-in wood blocks, and the Marine-tex epoxy that I used.

You put Marine-Tex epoxy (get it at any boat shop) in the top and bottom parts of the hollow stock (rough the stock up, so it has something to grab on to), sand flat, and then drill some pilot holes. Then screw the recoil pad screws into the epoxy. Go easy though, It can make the stock pretty heavy, don't use more than you need.

This is my other attempt at a short LOP M4 stock. Speedfeed stock for an M1 (less than $100). I had to open up the recoil tube channel inside the stock. I used a cheap Auto Zone brake cylinder hone, wrapped with 40 grit sandpaper, and my electric drill. It took some trial fitting to get it right, but it works ok.

The big downside, is that you won't have the ability to remove the stock without tools. It's mounted with a metric bolt and washer ( I forget the exact size, and I had to trim the bolt).

IMG_1080.jpg

This is my other attempt at a short LOP M4 stock. Speedfeed stock for an M1 (less than $100). I had to open up the recoil tube channel inside the stock. I used a cheap Auto Zone brake cylinder hone, wrapped with 40 grit sandpaper, and my electric drill. It took some trial fitting to get it right, but it works ok.

The big downside, is that you won't have the ability to remove the stock without tools. It's mounted with a metric bolt and washer ( I forget the exact size, and I had to trim the bolt).

IMG_1080.jpg

Looks good! That's not the Speedfeed IV-S though is it? The IV-S is their short stock which is my preference. Well, I actually prefer their Youth Stock (which doesn't have a pistol grip) but that's another story and they don't make it for the Benelli. What do you mean when you say that you had to trim the bolt?