And now for something completely different **Warning** Graphic Shotgun Abuse

Duggan

WARNING - If you are the type of pantywaist that only likes shotguns when they are gold plated and unfired, this thread may be catastrophic to your health. I suggest you hit back on your browser immediately, or this may occur:

120px-FaceMelt.gif

You have been warned.

Edited by Duggan

And now for something completely different.

As some of you have probably noticed, I'm normally pretty vocal about my thoughts concerning firearms ... I like talking about what the best of the best is, and what mods are available if you want to dump even more money into your $1500 shotgun.

Well, this thread is different ... this thread is about the other end of the spectrum.

Behold, my "new" Mossberg 500A that I obtained for the shockingly high price of $25

Mossberg100-02.jpg

Mossberg100-01.jpg

Edited by Duggan

The "paintjob" is atrocious. It was obviously a failed homemade camo job that has seen 10+ years of wear and tear. Nicks and scratches cover the weapon and an entire section of the receiver has been rubbed down to bare aluminum. My mag tube has brutal, deep wrench teeth marks ahead of the handguard, and a good portion of my barrel is down to bare steel and somewhat rusted.

I also have no sights, for they have been cut off and bare aluminum spots on the rib now greet the eye.

Mossberg100-04.jpg

Mossberg100-03.jpg

Edited by Duggan

And now for what inspired me to make this post ...

I took this weapon inside to clean it and see what I could do to improve the condition. I took it completely apart, oiled, and reassembled ... everything seems to be in fine mechanical shape (I've fired it, works 100% thus far), but boy is she rugged to look at.

At this moment I was hit with inspiration ... on my workbench table was an old Surefire G2 that I had long since replaced with a 6PD for another project, an unused Malkoff M60 LED that had been replaced by a M60W for my M4. At my left side was a shelf that contained many preps, including several rolls of "100 mph" tape (duck tape). I suddenly knew what I had to do.

I have been in many discussions about how to best attach a light to an m4 ... and one thing that is often joked about is duck tape. I had never tried it, but I imagined it would work decently well ... however, I sure as heck wasn't going to cobb up any of my $$$$ guns with a duck tape job. Suddenly, I realized that I now had a test weapon for exactly such a solution.

I set to work engineering the perfect duck tape mount ... it should be barrel mounted, perfectly aligned with the bore to beam straight ahead, as forward as possible to cast the smallest shadow, allow the barrel to be removed and the batteries changed without altering the mod, and allow the tailcap to be freely manipulated with only the thumb of my support hand. It also must be SOLID, attached at two points, and not easily pushed out of place or alignment.

15 minutes later I had completed my masterpiece.

Mossberg100-05.jpg

Mossberg100-06.jpg

Edited by Duggan

The head on a Surefire G2 is somewhat larger than the body ... without modification, this makes the light point left when it is flush against the barrel, as the head is too big to line up straight with the body. This was no good ... I quickly devised a plan that involved the procurement of half a dozen TACTICAL rubber bands.

I looped these rubber bands around the surefire G2 body until I had made the body the same size as the head ... and then the entire unit was test fit against the barrel. Sure enough, once the body was made the same size, the light lined up perfectly, and the light beamed directly straight ahead. I tested the setup on a wall 30 feet away ... and the relatively tight hot spot of the Malkoff M60 was right in line with where the sights of the barrel would have been ... if they hadn't been cut off.

At this, we were good to go, so I started taping my planned mount.

The rear mounting point is a full width span of 100mph tape, pulled TIGHT and looped around 10x or so.

The front mount is half a span of 100mph tape, looped 6x or so, pulled tight as well.

Due to the buildup of the body (but not the tailcap), the tailcap is a few mm away from the bore, allowing me to easily manipulate it with my support hand thumb. I can push in for momentary activation, or roll it sideways for constant on. Would a push button tailcap be better? Absolutely, but this thread is all about being cheap and ghetto, so I worked with what I had. It also allows me to easily change batteries out the back.

I have to say ... this mount is way more solid than I would have thought. 10 layers of 100mph tape pulled tight holds it pretty securely against the barrel, and the front half spans keep the light centered elevation wise.

So there you have it ... my newest shotgun project. I plan on keeping this weapon in my trunk, uncased. It's just another option now ... M4 carbine, ghetto mossberg, or CCW G19. I suspect it will perform admirably at this duty.

Hilariously, the LED in the flashlight is worth twice what I paid for the gun. I plan on either point shooting, or using the light beam to mark targets at night. I can't imagine the barrel would get hot enough to melt the rubber bands or the tape ... I think the tube holds 4 rounds, and I don't plan on putting that many rounds through this gun in rapid succession.

In the future, I probably will clean it up and make it look more respectable ... I'll get some steel wool and acetone, strip down the awful paint, and then refinish somehow ... maybe even get a clamp on front sight of some type ... but until then, this is what it is - A horrifically ugly weapon that is capable of being a great zombie killer in the right hands.

Hope you enjoyed my rambling, this has been my escape from studying for my last 3 finals of my college career.

Happy shooting.

ETA - And here, to end on a Benelli note ...

M11707-01t.jpg

Edited by Duggan

i think you're right!! cause i think my geezer gun stock has termites!!:D oh and Duggy, when you're ready to move to the Old America here in Texas with all your nice toys except this POS above we've got room for ya!!:p

I'm actually considering moving to Arizona ... my brother goes to ASU and loves it out there, it's about as free a state as it gets and I plan on flying in there and checking it out over the summer ... see if I can handle the heat.

I'm considering Texas ... it's about #3 on my potential state list.

Great gun really. What you'll find is you won't baby it. You'll throw it on rough surfaces. Drop it on the ground. Lean it against rough objects.

Can't be beat for 25 bucks.

Agreed.

I don't really baby any of my guns, but this one for sure will get treated like a $15 lady.

I'm actually considering moving to Arizona ... my brother goes to ASU and loves it out there, it's about as free a state as it gets and I plan on flying in there and checking it out over the summer ... see if I can handle the heat.

I'm considering Texas ... it's about #3 on my potential state list.

From what I know of AZ, the heat is different than here in LA or in East TX (Dallas/Houston). It is more of a "dry" heat and a lot more tolerable.

From what I know of AZ, the heat is different than here in LA or in East TX (Dallas/Houston). It is more of a "dry" heat and a lot more tolerable.

Everyone keeps saying that ... but I don't know, I have to imagine that 100 degrees is still 100 degrees to an extent, and humidity or no, theres no hiding the raw temperature.

As stated, it's one of my reasons for traveling out there ... and to stalk StrangerDanger.

Guest cleefurd

I was born and raised in New Mexico, and stationed in 29 Palms for 4 years. 98% humidity in 95 degree weather is muuuuch more miserable than 120 in the shade in 29 Palms at say 40-ish humidity.

It makes a big difference. Evaporative cooling only works in dry air.

I was born and raised in New Mexico, and stationed in 29 Palms for 4 years. 98% humidity in 95 degree weather is muuuuch more miserable than 120 in the shade in 29 Palms at say 40-ish humidity.

It makes a big difference. Evaporative cooling only works in dry air.

Around here, 80 degrees feels just perfect for the level of humidity we normally have ... no idea the specifics.

100 degrees and high humidity is just oppressively hot, everything is just sticky and awful.

The survivalist in me kind of objects to intentionally moving to a giant desert on principle ... but I guess it will just be an excuse to take my water preps to the next level.

ETA - An interesting tool to use when comparing states http://freedom.robocourt.com/

and the site it came from http://www.statepolicyindex.com/?page_id=143

freeplot.png

map.png

Edited by Duggan

Guest cleefurd

Bookmarked than adjustable one.... now if I can figure out the perspective on the sliding buttons, then I may have found a better means than a dart to plan on where I will build my final ranch.

In the future, I probably will clean it up and make it look more respectable ... I'll get some steel wool and acetone, strip down the awful paint, and then refinish somehow ... maybe even get a clamp on front sight of some type ... but until then, this is what it is - A horrifically ugly weapon that is capable of being a great zombie killer in the right hands.

You could probably do something like black duracoat to "re-finish" it cheaply and easily.

I have a gun of that same model and while it is a decent gun, it sure makes you appreciate the quality of a benelli auto, nice find.

I'm from New York orginally and moved to Scottsdale a while back. I love Arizona and would recommend Scottsdale or North Phoenix where I now live. My wife went to ASU and it's a good school as well. The heat is hot but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Our summer here is just like dealing with a winter back east it's a bit of give and take. The gun laws are also great here in the next 90 days or so you won't even need a ccw to carry. Welcome to the west.