M4 Collapsible Stock Usefullness

krecon1

Hello - new member here, but Benelli owner (M1S90) since 98. Currently have 2 M1S90s (one a SBS) and a recent purchase of an M4.

My M4 came with the straight stock and have been thinking about putting the collapsible stock on it. The main reason for me is to reduce the OAL when carrying and/or transporting. Just wondering what other members' motives are for switching it out. I haven't shot with one and am curious if the cheek weld will be different than what I am used to with a straight stock. I'm split equally with a pistol grip and straight stock as I have both on the M1S90s.

From what I have been reading, since I have the 11707 model, my recoil tube is already notched and ready to accept the collapsible stock, correct?

Any input would be appreciated.

The cheek weld with the collapsible stock sucks.

As far as reasons to have one? Shorter length of pull, novelty, looking cool, adaptability.

When I had one I ran it on the middle setting all the time, and I liked it.

That said, the 2 reasons not to have one is the $800 that can be put to much better use, and the fact that the fixed stock is more solid and has a better feel to it.

I agree, the length of pull is long ... that's why if Mesa doesn't release their Urbino this summer, I'm going to cut down my fixed stock a few inches so that it is near the length of a collapsible on the middle position.

Yes, the 11707 will take one and collapse just fine.

Edited by Duggan

The cheek weld with the collapsible stock sucks.

As far as reasons to have one? Shorter length of pull, novelty, looking cool, adaptability.

When I had one I ran it on the middle setting all the time, and I liked it.

That said, the 2 reasons not to have one is the $800 that can be put to much better use, and the fact that the fixed stock is more solid and has a better feel to it.

I agree, the length of pull is long ... that's why if Mesa doesn't release their Urbino this summer, I'm going to cut down my fixed stock a few inches so that it is near the length of a collapsible on the middle position.

Yes, the 11707 will take one and collapse just fine.

http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=811

I just picked up a Pelican/2N2 GunPod http://www.guncruzer.com/universal-2x2-40L/2n2-gunpod.html for a trip to Illinois. The Benelli M4 sits perfect with the C-stock in the middle position, it's too long fully extended or with the PG stock. I guess one pro for me that it fits in that case. Other than the obvious that it allows a shorter overall length for CQB operations, that is the only reason I can imagine it having a "real" use. On another note that case kicks a$$, other than being overpriced it was the only way I could see transporting thousands of dollars of firearms/gear across the country.

I just picked up a Pelican/2N2 GunPod http://www.guncruzer.com/universal-2x2-40L/2n2-gunpod.html for a trip to Illinois. The Benelli M4 sits perfect with the C-stock in the middle position, it's too long fully extended or with the PG stock. I guess one pro for me that it fits in that case. Other than the obvious that it allows a shorter overall length for CQB operations, that is the only reason I can imagine it having a "real" use. On another note that case kicks a$$, other than being overpriced it was the only way I could see transporting thousands of dollars of firearms/gear across the country.

Yea, I bet you are "needncash" after you spent $565 on a slightly modified Pelican case ... god damn bro.

The collapsible stock is also essential when you are wearing plates and a chest rig, as those obviously add a few inches of pull, and using the long as all heck fixed stock on top of 2 inches of cordura and boron carbide plates would make it extremely uncomfortable.

It would be nice to have some real world perspective on the c-stock. By that I mean someone from the military/LEO that has had to use them in real tactical situations.

090409-M-6159T-025b.jpg

Anyone I see that's in AFG using an m4 with a cstock has it fully collapsed.

As I said, wearing a ton of stuff makes the already ridiculous long stock even longer, to the point where a shorter stock isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.

I just picked up a Pelican/2N2 GunPod http://www.guncruzer.com/universal-2x2-40L/2n2-gunpod.html for a trip to Illinois. On another note that case kicks a$$, other than being overpriced it was the only way I could see transporting thousands of dollars of firearms/gear across the country.

Yea, I bet you are "needncash" after you spent $565 on a slightly modified Pelican case ... god damn bro.

Being a resident of Illinois I can tell you that this place is rough but I dunno if it is THAT rough haha. Pelican cases are awesome, I have 2 of the 1750 variety. However I think I'm going to have to go with Duggan on this one and say I would have much rather picked a stock 1770 case and did the cutting myself and saved a few hundred...but I'm glad you like it at any rate.

Thanks for the input. I really didn't think there would be much usefullness to it other than the reduced LOP for shooting and transporting. It's hard to justify the cost of nearly $800 when I picked up my M4 used with an extended mag for $1150. I'm also a fan of the straight/field stocks on shotguns more so than pistol grips. I'll keep looking to see if Mesa releases their new stock...I'll want to try out the CS before I purchase one. If I do buy a CS it doesn't sound like I'll have much trouble selling the field stock, as they seem to be a high demand, low density item.

Being a resident of Illinois I can tell you that this place is rough but I dunno if it is THAT rough haha. Pelican cases are awesome, I have 2 of the 1750 variety. However I think I'm going to have to go with Duggan on this one and say I would have much rather picked a stock 1770 case and did the cutting myself and saved a few hundred...but I'm glad you like it at any rate.

The trip to Illinois from Cali obviously means I flew a few thousand miles and had to give the baggage monkeys permission to hurtle my stuff into the plane. On the other hand there is no way to fit 2 pistols, a scoped rifle, and shotgun in a 1770 or 1750 case. I didn't want to end up like you having 2 cases, I prefer 1 larger case. Same investment either way, but I spared myself the cutting of foam and my time is $$. Duggan, the Gunpod is more than a "slightly modified" Pelican case, but considering you obviously haven't seen it your comment is a blind opinion. I would buy nothing but the best to transport over $8000.00 of toys, I hope you guys would too. And back to the collapsible stock, it's a must for versatility allowing usage by multiple operators either large or small, with or without cumbersome gear on.

Edited by needncash

It would be nice to have some real world perspective on the c-stock. By that I mean someone from the military/LEO that has had to use them in real tactical situations.

I watched a TV program called "deadliest warrior" it had the LAPD swat VS the german GSG9. when they showed the weapons the LAPD guy had a M4 as his shotgun with 14" and C-stock but when they actually shot in the test he used the regular pistol grip stock.

On the other hand there is no way to fit 2 pistols, a scoped rifle, and shotgun in a 1770 or 1750 case. I didn't want to end up like you having 2 cases, I prefer 1 larger case. Same investment either way, but I spared myself the cutting of foam and my time is $$.

Fair enough. My only real point there is that the GunPod looks and has extremely similar dimensions to the 1770, so I wouldn't be surprised if the GunPod WAS a 1770 with the different foam arrangement.

For regular target shooting my PG stock is great, no problems and never do I wish I had the C stock. On the other hand, in a HD situation I would rather have the C stock. The PG stock is way too long for maneuvering through halls and around corners. It's just too bad I can't afford one. I simply can't justify spending $700+ on a stock when I already have a perfectly good PG that makes me happy most of the time.

Personally, I think the middle position on the c stock is the sweet spot for me. You can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I do own all 3 stocks available for the M4. Also when we go shooting my buddies prefer to shoot with the collapsible.It still cracks me up that everyone is worried about cost when they bought a 1500 shotgun. Damn guys it's a Benelli not a Charles Daly shotgun.

Personally, I think the middle position on the c stock is the sweet spot for me. You can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I do own all 3 stocks available for the M4. Also when we go shooting my buddies prefer to shoot with the collapsible.It still cracks me up that everyone is worried about cost when they bought a 1500 shotgun. Damn guys it's a Benelli not a Charles Daly shotgun.

$1500 ,I paid $1850:o

Fair enough. My only real point there is that the GunPod looks and has extremely similar dimensions to the 1770, so I wouldn't be surprised if the GunPod WAS a 1770 with the different foam arrangement.

Its actually a 1740 case with foam, carpet, and plastic internals. Dimensions are much different than a 1770, its more like a deep chest than a flat case.

• 4 months later...
Personally, I think the middle position on the c stock is the sweet spot for me. You can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I do own all 3 stocks available for the M4.

What's the LOP at the middle position? I'm wondering how the Urbino is going to compare. Honestly for me, shorter is generally better. You can usually raise your right shoulder pocket up more and rotate it forward to bring the gun in even tighter and accommodate for a shorter stock but it's a lot harder to work around a stock that's too long.