Compliance

kmc0929

So if my M4 had an American made full length tube added to it, Mepro Night Sights, and everything else is OEM, the stock is the regular pistol grip stock. Is that legal?

Hi kmc,

If you choose to seek to comply with 922r (as I do)

You need to reduce your imported parts count to 10 or less

By using

1 US made full length mag tube

2 US made mag follower (like Brownells)

3 US made forend (KZ or Surefire M80)

In a month or two Mesa is coming out with a fixed PG stock with a shorter LOP than the OEM stock. That stock could be used to replace #2 or #3 above. This would allow you to keep your stock Benelli grips

Pics of the Mesa stock are in post #34 of this thread

http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/vi...php?id=722&p=2

There's all you need to know about 922r in this thread:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/show...light=atf+922r

Happy reading!

Hookster :)

progress.gif

You really have to check this **** out with a real class III dealer in YOUR state. They will know what you NEED to do. I'm in Oregon and I just checked two days ago. I can install a full length mag tube, collapsible stock, yada yada, and it isn't a problem. The law basically states that you can't reconfigure a weapon to it's un-importable state. The Benelli M4 is imported in a few configurations and even though Benelli won't sell certain ones and their corresponding parts to civilians, it doesn't mean it's illegal to own them.

You really have to check this **** out with a real class III dealer in YOUR state. They will know what you NEED to do. I'm in Oregon and I just checked two days ago. I can install a full length mag tube, collapsible stock, yada yada, and it isn't a problem. The law basically states that you can't reconfigure a weapon to it's un-importable state. The Benelli M4 is imported in a few configurations and even though Benelli won't sell certain ones and their corresponding parts to civilians, it doesn't mean it's illegal to own them.

No they don't, noone knows. The law was written pertaining AK-47's and adapted to other things (very poorly...). Even the ATF sends out letters to people that contradict themselves. It's a joke. Don't even bother.

Edited by Unobtanium

When they start enforcing it, I'll start worrying about it.

Until then, it's obvious what 922r is ... an unenforceable law, written by people who know nothing about guns, meant to restrict guns based on features they deem cosmetically undesirable ... and it works in keeping 95% of gun owners scared into compliance.

That said, I believe my M4 at the moment actually is in 922r compliance ... if it wasn't, I wouldn't bat an eye, and neither would the ATF unless you gave them specific reason to do so, ie you shoot up a school and they are looking to throw the book at you, so they research every charge possible.

Edited by Duggan

Hi kmc,

If you choose to seek to comply with 922r (as I do)

You need to reduce your imported parts count to 10 or less

By using

1 US made full length mag tube

2 US made mag follower (like Brownells)

3 US made forend (KZ or Surefire M80)

In a month or two Mesa is coming out with a fixed PG stock with a shorter LOP than the OEM stock. That stock could be used to replace #2 or #3 above. This would allow you to keep your stock Benelli grips

Pics of the Mesa stock are in post #34 of this thread

http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/vi...php?id=722&p=2

There's all you need to know about 922r in this thread:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/show...light=atf+922r

Happy reading!

progress.gif

Question for you Hookster: If I sub a Sidearmor rail setup for #3 above, would that work, in your opinion (I know, only the ATF's "opinion" counts in the end), since it replaces the factory rail?

Thanks

Question for you Hookster: If I sub a Sidearmor rail setup for #3 above, would that work, in your opinion (I know, only the ATF's "opinion" counts in the end), since it replaces the factory rail?

Thanks

Hi Shuter,

In my opinion, no since the rail is not one of the parts they consider the M4 to be comprised of. I have a Sidearmor rail with a Surefire forend. When the Mesa urbino comes out I plan to switch back to the OEM grips. Here's a pic

001.jpg

Later,

When they start enforcing it, I'll start worrying about it.

Until then, it's obvious what 922r is ... an unenforceable law, written by people who know nothing about guns, meant to restrict guns based on features they deem cosmetically undesirable ... and it works in keeping 95% of gun owners scared into compliance.

That said, I believe my M4 at the moment actually is in 922r compliance ... if it wasn't, I wouldn't bat an eye, and neither would the ATF unless you gave them specific reason to do so, ie you shoot up a school and they are looking to throw the book at you, so they research every charge possible.

exactly, when the ATF starts coming door to door to check your firearms... i'd think there would be bigger problems to deal with than "is my m4 922r compliant"