Benelli's new policy on Mag-tube extensions

n8ghz

This is unrelated to the now-sunset "assault weapon" ban. Under section 922® of the BATF code, there are limitations on the parts make-up of imported shotguns. If you search this forum, or the AR15 forum on the topic of M4/M1014 shotguns with collapsible stocks, pistol grips, and extended mags you'll see lots on this subject.

In the net, due to a lack of clarity and interpretation of 922®, Benelli elected to cease all importation, marketing and sales of magazine extensions for their weapons on Nov. 2 of this year.

My perhaps over-simplified (and possibly incorrect) understanding of the code section in question prohibits the import, or assembly of imported parts into a complete weapon that has any two of the following three characteristics:

- collapsible stock

- pistol grip

- magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds

I've excerpted the text from the AR15 forum for example, as it related to specific inquiries about the M4/M1014:

A shotgun with a telescoping stock or a magazine greater than 5 rounds is prohibited from importation into the United States under the provisions of section 925(d)(3) of Title 18, United states code (U.S.C.). Assembly of such a shotgun from imported parts is prohibited under 18, U.S.C. Section 922®. The implementing regulations in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 478, Section 478.39 (formerly Part 178, Section 178.39) prohibit assembly of such a shotgun that contains more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph © of the regulation. Please see the enclosed brochure for further information. Assembly of such a shotgun using 10 or less of the listed import parts is not prohibited. The shotgun is also subject to whatever State laws and local ordinances may apply.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your request.

Sincerely yours,

(signed)

John A. Spurgeon

Chief, Firearms Programs Division

The brochure contains the following:

© For purposes of this section, the imported parts are:

1. Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or stampings.

2. Barrels

3. Barrel extensions

4. mounting blocks (trunnions)

5. Muzzle attachments

6. Bolts

7. Bolt carriers

8. Operating rods

9. gas pistons

10. Trigger housings

11. triggers

12. Hammers

13. Sears

14. Disconnectors

15. Buttstocks

16. Pistol grips

17. Forearms, handguards

18. Magazine bodies

19. Followers

20. Floorplates

Ok Austin, Thanks.

Yes I have seen some of the ar-15 forum data concerning an M4 or M3 or whatever.

The super-90's in tactical form, would probably have the pistol-grip...so that's count 1 against them.

My question regards the NOVA which has 0 of the 'bad' things, no pistol-grip,bayonet-lug,folder,etc.

As to assembling a gun INTO a configuration that is banned from import under that USC, using more than 10 foreign parts...I get lost.

They've covered sears,disconnectors,springs,screws,bolts,washers...

let alone recievers,barrels,stocks,etc.

As to the NOVA, all it would possess is 5+ rounds...PLUS being an import.

I would think it would be OK, but what do I know?

Originally posted by AustinPSD:

This is unrelated to the now-sunset "assault weapon" ban. Under section 922® of the BATF code, there are limitations on the parts make-up of imported shotguns. If you search this forum, or the AR15 forum on the topic of M4/M1014 shotguns with collapsible stocks, pistol grips, and extended mags you'll see lots on this subject.

In the net, due to a lack of clarity and interpretation of 922®, Benelli elected to cease all importation, marketing and sales of magazine extensions for their weapons on Nov. 2 of this year.

My perhaps over-simplified (and possibly incorrect) understanding of the code section in question prohibits the import, or assembly of imported parts into a complete weapon that has any two of the following three characteristics:

- collapsible stock

- pistol grip

- magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds

I've excerpted the text from the AR15 forum for example, as it related to specific inquiries about the M4/M1014:

A shotgun with a telescoping stock or a magazine greater than 5 rounds is prohibited from importation into the United States under the provisions of section 925(d)(3) of Title 18, United states code (U.S.C.). Assembly of such a shotgun from imported parts is prohibited under 18, U.S.C. Section 922®. The implementing regulations in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 478, Section 478.39 (formerly Part 178, Section 178.39) prohibit assembly of such a shotgun that contains more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph © of the regulation. Please see the enclosed brochure for further information. Assembly of such a shotgun using 10 or less of the listed import parts is not prohibited. The shotgun is also subject to whatever State laws and local ordinances may apply.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your request.

Sincerely yours,

(signed)

John A. Spurgeon

Chief, Firearms Programs Division

The brochure contains the following:

© For purposes of this section, the imported parts are:

1. Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or stampings.

2. Barrels

3. Barrel extensions

4. mounting blocks (trunnions)

5. Muzzle attachments

6. Bolts

7. Bolt carriers

8. Operating rods

9. gas pistons

10. Trigger housings

11. triggers

12. Hammers

13. Sears