chokes and loctite - a good combination?

xamoel

hey guys,

as you might know, i purchased a trulock tactical choke for my M4. as probably every choke it comes loose after some rounds fired through it, it takes about 50 rounds or so.

not very loose, but noticably.

so far i used loctite 8151, a special aluminium based anti-seize spray for high temperatures, to prevent the choke from rusting or becoming stuck in the threads of the barrel due to lead and debris.

now i recently bought loctite 243, which is heat resistant up to 150° celsuis (thats about 300°fahrenheit), and i'm thinking about putting it on the choke (at least a bit) to ensure it won't self loosen again.

do you guys think that's a good idea?

some points to consider:

-is the heat resistance enough?

-will it prevent debris from getting stuck in the threads (i guess not) ?

-can i use it together with the choke lube (loctite 8151) ?

or do you have a much better way of holding this chokes in place? (except overtightening of course)

do you guys think that's a good idea?

some points to consider:

-is the heat resistance enough?

-will it prevent debris from getting stuck in the threads (i guess not) ?

-can i use it together with the choke lube (loctite 8151) ?

I think the main thing to consider is how often you change chokes. For me this wouldn't be a great idea because I change chokes occasionally. Also Loctite leaves a blueish "flake" (cured loctite) when you remove it and to me that would require at least a little bit of removal before putting a new choke in. But if this is going to be your only choke that becomes a non-issue.

As far as heat resistance I would say you would probably be ok unless there are times where you run rounds through the gun quickly for an extended period. I've never shot so much that I couldn't hold the barrel afterward.

+1, a Briley speed wrench and some choke-tube grease and I NEVER have this problem.

Although no wrench will fit the breacher style tactical chokes you can still wrench em down by hand and they won't come out. Ihad the same choke on my M4 for an entire day (100-150rds) and it was still tight as **** when I took it off that night.

I never have had a problem with my tactical choke getting loose and I have the same one you do. I use a Craftsman strap wrench to tighten the choke and it wont come off unless I use the same wrench to loosen it. The same goes for the factory chokes except I use the Benelli choke wrench for those. I refuse to use loctite on any of my chokes.

My Truloc also gets a bit loose after a lot of firing. I don't think it's a matter of not tightening down enough; but I suppose it could be. I wouldn't necessarily put a thread-locker on it. I don't suppose it would hurt if you are going to leave it on there for some time but I'm probably going to switch to another choke when something better becomes available.