Registering an M4 in Chicago

Bloodguard

* * * First Post * * *

I've been a lurker since the 1014/M4 came out.

1. Does anyone know if an M4 can be registered in Chicago.
  2. Do you know if there is anything in particular I might need to do it (exp plug it to 3 rounds)?
  3. Any limitations on modifications (such as the collapsible stock, extension tube, rails, lights, etc.)?

Thanks for any info you have. Chicago is an intimidating place for a gun. I know there is an exception for a hunting shotgun, but how far that goes, I can't find much guidance.

Read those first five search returns. There is a good thread in there...basically the same info I'm getting here... Nada... It's a hard answer to answer. Unfortunately only the people who don't know post responses and it turns into a long speculating thread all over the board.

Still hoping someone has registered a gun in Chicago and can explain the process and requirements. Thanks!

I do believe Chicago will loose it's restrictive law. It's a matter of time.

What I can tell is that certain weapons can be registered in Chicago. The basic intent appears to be for the keeping hunting guns, not for protection, etc. So it's obviously unlawful to discharge one even for protection.

The reality of it appears to be that it is some sort of annual gun registration that may require taking a picture of the gun to prove it is in you protection...oh there is a tax too. You have to love Chicago, they would tax breathing if they thought they could get away with it.

Can anyone confirm this and tell me more specifically?

Chapters 8-20 and 8-24 of the MUNICIPAL CODE OF CHICAGO covers firearms. There is a section on "unregisterable" firearms (8-20-050). You'll also have to read the definitions in 8-20-030 to understand what they're referring to when they say "assault weapon".

There's also some grey area when it comes to the legality of shotguns. For now, they're legal; but that could change any time the CPD wants it to because of this text from 8-24-020:

" (b) No person shall sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or carry any weapon from which eight or more shots or bullets may be discharged by a single function of the firing device."

City ordinance does not define "shot" or "bullet," but a bullet is technically any "a round or elongated missile (as of lead) to be fired from a firearm". So a single shot of a shotgun shoots numerous "bullets" by this definition (from Merriam-Webster) which could, by Chicago's city ordinance, classify any shotgun as a "machine gun" any time the city or CPD decide that it is. Would that stand up to legal challenge in US circuit court? No. But it would be quite an inconvenience for the year or so the case is pending appeals.

But don't let all this scare you off. It's merely hypothetical. Shotguns are currently legal; and you'd have to be a complete idiot to consider a shotgun a "machine gun." Of course, Chicago city government is filled with complete idiots ...

Edited by LeoAtrox
spelling

Any City that will ban handguns from law abiding citizens is run by idiots.:) As soon as this economy finally collapses and the USofA is destroyed as planned I hope they don't drop the ball and make all these stupid gun restrictions again, cause I'm keeping my guns.:cool: