New Vinci and Many Thanks

Uncle Russ

After all my angst about the 26" v 28", some of the stories I'd heard about the Vinci not liking 2-3/4" loads, shooting high, etc., I found a local dealer wh order it Monday a week ago, and delivered it the following Wednesday, for a good price. Why local and not the lowest price? Because he supports the brand. It's the black stock, 28" 12ga.

Finally took it out of the box this past Monday when I got back from the NRA Annual show in Charlotte. Put it together, and from what I had messed with in the Benelli booth at NRA, I knew I had to install the left-hand "middle" drop shim (the kid helping me in the booth didn't understand drop very well), so took it apart and did that. Today it went to the range. The first 15 rounds were on pattern paper at 25yds, to check fit, sight picture, differences between IC, MOD, and Full, and cycling with my Estate 1oz 2-3/4 7-1/2 shells. No problem there, including the right-hand ejection (I'm left handed but have shot right-handed guns all my life). Then down to the shotgun area where I used my Trius foot trap to throw 29 birds. One clean miss (the very first bird) and three safe-on errors out of the next 14. Then fifteen straight, including five of nothing but orange dust, and only one that broke into three big pieces - the rest were center hits. I quit while I was ahead. I noticed that my sight picture floated the birds a bit higher than my M1 Super 90 but I had a custom shim made for that one many years ago. It's lighter than the S90 but the Comfortecch stock reduces the recoil to less than with the S90. No failures to feed of any kind.

The guy next to me on the pattern board said I was shooting low but he was watching the wads. I got a solid 65-35 pattern, close enough to the 60/40 I prefer.

I'm a happy puppy. Have to decide whether to keep the S90. But I owe the decision to buy to all of you who helped with comments and advice.

Again, thanks

Uncle Russ

Congratulations...I've been more than pleased with my 26" at the skeet range and more and more shooters are quenching their curiosity and asking about it...some have asked to shoot it, just for the feel. I had to put a shorter recoil pad on, which has increased the felt recoil slightly (not even close to my HK/SBE though). I also changed the shim which straightened out the site picture for me. Enjoy!

Only you know whether to keep the S90 or not...

Edited by hattles

Over the weekend a buddy of mine reminded me that one of the local areas with the largest deer population is Camp Lejuene (Jacksonville). Yes, you have to go with a military friend but that's no problem. However, it is shotgun only.

So, too, the "shotgun line" in Michigan keeps creeping ever nothward, and is only a few towns south of where I hunt up there (a private farm). As it turns out, the M1S90 makes up into a perfect slug gun with the right barrel and maybe a reflective/holo site. In fact that's the way I started many, many years ago - with an Ithaca SuperSingle 32" full-choke barrel lever-gun and a Weaver Quickpoint. That thing would knock you out of a tree stand or set you back on your butt but it surely took its share of deer in the southern Maryland swamps.

So I think I'll keep the M1S90 on the off chancce that I'll need it for that.

I probably would have been more comfortable at the outset ordering the 26" but having shot it now, the 28" is no bother at all and ballistically, adds a bit of fps to the load. I never see the barrels when I shoot anyway, so there's no sense of the extra 2" hanging out there - it's strictly a mental thing, I think.

I am liking mine as much as you do yours, and I had a few folks at the range ask me what it was, etc. though they did not take the opportunity to shoot it when I offered. They were impressed with its light weight and the smoothness of the bolt but no one took the opportunity to shoot it when I offered. So I cased it and took it home.

I am one lucky dude to be able to have this gun.

Uncle Russ

Sometimes it's better to go local and pay a bit more. I inherently like supporting local when I can. You have easier recourse if there ends up being a problem. Plus, once you get done with shipping expense and FFL transfer fees, you may not be saving anything at all. Transfer itself can also be a pain. I've found that many dealers aren't even willing to do a transfer for you if it's on something they sell...even if you give them a shot at matching price.

Enjoy!

Sometimes it's better to go local and pay a bit more. I inherently like supporting local when I can. You have easier recourse if there ends up being a problem. Plus, once you get done with shipping expense and FFL transfer fees, you may not be saving anything at all. Transfer itself can also be a pain. I've found that many dealers aren't even willing to do a transfer for you if it's on something they sell...even if you give them a shot at matching price.

Enjoy!

I hear ya on the local, but I'm in Calif. and we have a 9.25% sales tax...a lot on a $1379 shotgun. Bought mine thru gunbroker.com for $1185 shipped+$60 DROS fee = $1245...that's definitely saving a few buck for shells.