MR1 Throat/Leade?

cody6.0

Even after having a few of this I never gave this any thought. I keep seeing the MR1 listed as a 5.56/.223 but the barrel is marked rem .223 only.

So is it fair to assume that the barrel leade/throat is .223 and not 5.56?

Hey Cody, Yeah....I'd believe what's stamped on the barrel.

Try it and see how the primers look I guess.

Thanks for the obvious tip! It never occured to me to look at (or really study) the primers after firing. Well, actually I did a few times to check the firing pin's strike mark. I think I would have noticed any other problem, though. In any case, I'll keep that in mind next time I have her out in the field. But, so far, so good with XM193 fodder. Best!

I was told most recently that the .223 and 5.56 were the same round. I question this, but dont think to much on it because Im a shotgun guy. Dont even own a rifle yet.

5.56 is loaded hotter and needs more free-bore/longer leade or an over-pressure condition could arise.

223 in 5.56 chambered barrel=ok

5.56 in .223 chambered barrel=bad

Agreed with Hooky!! i dont care what Customer service told you, if benelli wanted you to shoot 5.56 ammo through it they would have marked the barrel 5.56!!;) i have a ruger mini-14 marked 223 and they specifically tell you NOT to fire any 5.56. but its your rifle so do as you see fit. it may shoot the 5.56 for a while, but eventually it wears much harder on your bore from what i had been told. oh and hey, if it blows up on ya post the pics here.....:o

Agreed with Hooky!! i dont care what Customer service told you, if benelli wanted you to shoot 5.56 ammo through it they would have marked the barrel 5.56!!;) i have a ruger mini-14 marked 223 and they specifically tell you NOT to fire any 5.56. but its your rifle so do as you see fit. it may shoot the 5.56 for a while, but eventually it wears much harder on your bore from what i had been told. oh and hey, if it blows up on ya post the pics here.....:o

If you aren't getting over-pressure signs it doesn't matter. Sure, the extra 150-200fps or so will of course wear things out faster, but that's more of a technical side-note. The main problem is that firing 5.56 in a .223 chamber can lead to over-pressure due to the shorter leade.

A self defense rifle has to perform the first time, every time. The ultra-reliable A.R.G.O. system incorporated into the new Benelli MR1 does it for the U.S. military, and makes the MR1 the best home defense rifle available. MR1 self defense guns are chambered in 5.56 mm NATO (.223 Remington) and use the battle-proven Auto Regulating Gas Operated (ARGO) system—the same system developed by Benelli for the M1014 (M4) and used for over a decade in multiple conflicts by the United States Marine Corps.

Seems like Benelli needs a heads up in their ads. Chambered for 5.56 but barrel says .223 only, odd.

Thanks for all the input guys as this is one thing I just never really looked to far into until now.

5.56 vs .223 has been a debate for qute some time and even when answers are provided I still can't belive how many questions are still out there. Most people will tell you the leade is different because of cartridge size yet it's all about pressure.

Some top notch AR's will have leade dimensions available but I could find nothing about the MR1/RX4 anywhere. I usually go by what the barrel says yet companies saying 5.56 is "ok" kind of sets a double standard.

Thanks for all the input guys as this is one thing I just never really looked to far into until now.

5.56 vs .223 has been a debate for qute some time and even when answers are provided I still can't belive how many questions are still out there. Most people will tell you the leade is different because of cartridge size yet it's all about pressure.

Some top notch AR's will have leade dimensions available but I could find nothing about the MR1/RX4 anywhere. I usually go by what the barrel says yet companies saying 5.56 is "ok" kind of sets a double standard.

Send Benelli an e-mail. Do what they say. If TSHTF and it blows up, I think that you will have grounds to get settlement. I doubt it will take your head off.

Send Benelli an e-mail. Do what they say. If TSHTF and it blows up, I think that you will have grounds to get settlement. I doubt it will take your head off.

I wasn't worried about an overpressure disaster I just wanted a clear answer as 5.56 does not equal .223 and it should be advertised as such. The accuracy difference was more so my concern as the leade differences have a large effect when shooting the wings off flies at 100yds.