Some Buckshot Tryouts in M4

twowheelhooligan

Seeing someone else's post inspired me to share my trials of ammo. All my firing for these rounds was performed at 30ft at human sized silhouette targets. I took one head shot and one center-mass shot. I measured C-C at the extreme spread. This is performed with the choke from factory (IC) fired indoors. All are 2.75" shells unless otherwise specified.

Ammo type - group 1/group 2

Rem TAC 8 - 4.5"/4.5"

Rem OO Buck - 6.25"/6.25"

Win Super X silver box OO THREE INCH - 7.5"/8.25"

WIN Super X silver box OO - 4.25"/3.75"

Fiocchi OO - 5.75"/3.25"

Sellier & Bellot OO - 5.25"/ 8.00"

Fed Power Shok OO - 4.0"/ 2.25"

OLIN "military type" OO - 5.25"/5.0"

I used 30 feet because I figure that's going to be the max for INSIDE of any home situation or any "immediate" threat. Beyond that for many to most would require slugs or a carbine.

I also tried slugs @ 50/75yds, but my groups seemed high, and I was even bagging the gun. I'll have to play more with slugs. I'm just running factory iron sights, and that's the way I'll keep this gun. If a Trijicon RMR were REASONABLY priced, I'd get one, but I have a hard time justifying $400 for a mini sight.

Anyway, hope this may be helpful to some.

Seeing someone else's post inspired me to share my trials of ammo. All my firing for these rounds was performed at 30ft at human sized silhouette targets. I took one head shot and one center-mass shot. I measured C-C at the extreme spread. This is performed with the choke from factory (IC) fired indoors. All are 2.75" shells unless otherwise specified.

Ammo type - group 1/group 2

Rem TAC 8 - 4.5"/4.5"

Rem OO Buck - 6.25"/6.25"

Win Super X silver box OO THREE INCH - 7.5"/8.25"

WIN Super X silver box OO - 4.25"/3.75"

Fiocchi OO - 5.75"/3.25"

Sellier & Bellot OO - 5.25"/ 8.00"

Fed Power Shok OO - 4.0"/ 2.25"

OLIN "military type" OO - 5.25"/5.0"

I used 30 feet because I figure that's going to be the max for INSIDE of any home situation or any "immediate" threat. Beyond that for many to most would require slugs or a carbine.

I also tried slugs @ 50/75yds, but my groups seemed high, and I was even bagging the gun. I'll have to play more with slugs. I'm just running factory iron sights, and that's the way I'll keep this gun. If a Trijicon RMR were REASONABLY priced, I'd get one, but I have a hard time justifying $400 for a mini sight.

Anyway, hope this may be helpful to some.

The OEM choke supplied is supposed to be the MOD choke. Can you verify that you recieved a non-standard choke?

I am suprised the military junk shot better than the Remington 00. That military stuff is all sorts of deformed while Remington has the roundest buckshot I have seen, save for Hornady's.

Really good post. Most people are going to use these weapons at a similar distance to what you tested, and it drives home the point that you need to AIM A SHOTGUN.

It also looks like you have experienced the same as I have. 2.75 usually patterns better than 3", even with the same brand/line of ammo.

Edited by Unobtanium

My choke for M4 has three nothches in it.

Maybe IC is my Rem 870HD barrell then? Sorry, M4 is only six weeks old. Haven't become COMPLETEY intimate with it yet. (YES yes, that's my fault for being a bad dad. . . . sorry!) :(

Children. Stay away from them. :eek:

That being said, your M4 indeed has a MOD choke. Further, do yourself a favor and buy a Briley speed wrench and some Birchwood Casey choke-tube grease so that choke stays in the weapon and doesn't go sailing down-range. Mine loosened up every 25 rounds with the OEM wrench. With the Briley, I shot probably 50+ rounds of buckshot and 15 slugs today, let a few people do mag-dumps with it, did a few myself, and I cannot turn the choke with any amount of finger-pressure, so it's G2G.

One person actually asked "Is it okay that he wants to shoot it, it won't get to hot will it?" Lmao. Police depts. have done testing 'till failure on the M4S90 shorty and the handguards melted before the weapon failed.

ETA: just removed/replaced choke tube and it took roughly the same effort to remove it as if I had not shot the weapon at all.

Edited by Unobtanium

Further, do yourself a favor and buy a Briley speed wrench and some Birchwood Casey choke-tube grease so that choke stays in the weapon and doesn't go sailing down-range.

ETA: just removed/replaced choke tube and it took roughly the same effort to remove it as if I had not shot the weapon at all.

I've seen you post about this before, I tried it, it works great! Thanks for the tip.:cool: