Courses of Fire for shotgun? Have any?

twowheelhooligan

Does anyone have links or any C.O.F. they'd share with the group?

For as long as the shotgun has been in police/military service, it seems odd to me that it has been difficult to find any COF for shotguns. :(

I can find IPSC/IDPA pistol courses and some rifle courses, but shotgun ones are a challenge.

I practice reload drills, malfunction drills with dummy rounds, and on a rainy day will double/triple/quadruple check my M4 is empty and do all dry runs inside the home.

After a while it can get "routine" and mixing it up with some other courses would be fun.

One I'll do(helps to have a friend for a caller) is I have a target with red circle/green square/yellow rectangle/blue triangle, all on one target. I'll put the target out to "x" distance and have it be decision/reaction to whatever the person says. They call out "RED. CIRCLE" I have to fire one round for each item they call. In this case it'd be two rounds into same target. If they called out "RED. TRIANGLE" then it'd be two targets thus making me acquire two targets, but NOT engaging the other two.

To add an extra challenge or decision to it, write numbers on the shape as well.

There's my submission, any others would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

The limited magazine capacity and relatively slow reload time, coupled with the shotguns limited range and accuracy make it less than optimal for the type of sustained pinpoint shooting encounter you find in IDPA type scenarios ... this probably is a major reason shotguns are not as popular for practical shooting sports.

Then why is there 3-gun and multi-gun competitions? I fully realize you sand "not as popular" so don't take it as me challenging you, NOT my intent.

There are classes that allow the speedloaders and classes that simulate the more law-enforcement and civilian defense aspects despite the slow reloads.

What I'm looking for is some ideas for COF that allow weapon manipulation and handling drills. Whether it's a COF for 2 rounds or 10 rounds and requires 3 reloads, I don't care. Weapon handling is weapon handling which means motor memory development.

I can certainly create my own, but maybe people in this forum have military or police training with the M4 and could share some handling drills?

Does anyone have links or any C.O.F. they'd share with the group?

For as long as the shotgun has been in police/military service, it seems odd to me that it has been difficult to find any COF for shotguns. :(

I can find IPSC/IDPA pistol courses and some rifle courses, but shotgun ones are a challenge.

I practice reload drills, malfunction drills with dummy rounds, and on a rainy day will double/triple/quadruple check my M4 is empty and do all dry runs inside the home.

After a while it can get "routine" and mixing it up with some other courses would be fun.

One I'll do(helps to have a friend for a caller) is I have a target with red circle/green square/yellow rectangle/blue triangle, all on one target. I'll put the target out to "x" distance and have it be decision/reaction to whatever the person says. They call out "RED. CIRCLE" I have to fire one round for each item they call. In this case it'd be two rounds into same target. If they called out "RED. TRIANGLE" then it'd be two targets thus making me acquire two targets, but NOT engaging the other two.

To add an extra challenge or decision to it, write numbers on the shape as well.

There's my submission, any others would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Name : NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting CourseShort Description : Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for the safe and proper use of a shotgun in shooting a moving target.

More Details: This course is at least ten-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning how to shoot shotguns at moving targets. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; shotgun parts and operation; shotgun shell components; shotgun shell malfunctions; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting at straight away and angled targets; cleaning; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Shotgun Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Shotgun Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate.

Name : NRA FIRST Steps Shotgun OrientationShort Description : Firearm Instruction, Responsibility, and Safety Training is the NRA’s response to the American public’s need for a firearm orientation program for new purchasers.

More Details: NRA FIRST Steps Shotgun course is designed to provide a hands-on introduction to the safe handling and proper orientation to one specific shotgun model. This course is at least three hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot a specific model shotgun at a moving target. Students will learn the NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; the particular shotgun model parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; cleaning the shotgun; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the Basics of Shotgun Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, FIRST Steps Course completion certificate.

Then why is there 3-gun and multi-gun competitions? I fully realize you sand "not as popular" so don't take it as me challenging you, NOT my intent.

There are classes that allow the speedloaders and classes that simulate the more law-enforcement and civilian defense aspects despite the slow reloads.

What I'm looking for is some ideas for COF that allow weapon manipulation and handling drills. Whether it's a COF for 2 rounds or 10 rounds and requires 3 reloads, I don't care. Weapon handling is weapon handling which means motor memory development.

I can certainly create my own, but maybe people in this forum have military or police training with the M4 and could share some handling drills?

Well, it depends what type of facility / structure you have available. Any type of room clearing course, where the range varies from point blank to a bit out, would stress fundamentals and motor skills. Enough targets to make hot reloading a necessity, and perhaps some targets far enough out that hot swapping a single slug round or multiple slug rounds on the fly would become needed. Having an ammo carrier and 2 different types of shells in distinctly different carriers / locations would make this type of scenario analysis easier, I would think. Clear rooms and targets with buckshot, when you get to a window and see targets at longer ranges, consider swapping slugs to increase your engagement range.

I know Magpul offers a shotgun course ... a few guys Ive talked to have taken it, and liked it.