New Slug Barrel or New Gun?

PumpAction

So I currently have a SuperNova APG 26" and I am starting to prepare / think about deer season and don't know what to do. I am thinking about either purchasing a either a Slug barrel to put on my SuperNova or considered buying a gun for deer season. Any input on this decision would be greatly appreciated.

- Steve -

how far ya wanna shoot! cuz if your set on slugs or if a law prevents rifles, then you may not have to get a slug barrel! Rifled slugs work fine for me out to 100 yards. But if your talking about a 300 yard shot then you may wannna talk to someone else..

also.. if your wanting to buy a slug barrel...your better off buying a new gun! those things are expensive as **** for benelli's. I think remington has slug barrels for their guns for like 89 bucks.. but benelli's are up in the 3-4 hundreds! buy a nice savage rifle.. or a new remington! but id stay away from slug barrels all together.. they are just a BIG rifle barrel and a waste of money!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lboongon123

If the Gun is still New. then you need a new Slug Barrel. but New gun is better for me.

So I currently have a SuperNova APG 26" and I am starting to prepare / think about deer season and don't know what to do. I am thinking about either purchasing a either a Slug barrel to put on my SuperNova or considered buying a gun for deer season. Any input on this decision would be greatly appreciated.

- Steve -

Guest Lboongon123

But if it's for the best. why not.. price won't matter if you really love it right?

I agree with this. Just buy a new slug gun. The slug barrel is so expensive standing alone :(

But if it's for the best. why not.. price won't matter if you really love it right?

But if buying the best is not the best choice, why make it? Why not make a choice that is actually better than the best choice?

Can a god make a rock so heavy they can't lift it?

What's love got to do, got to do with it? What's love but a second hand emotion?

The slug barrel alone costs almost as much as complete new slug gun. Why not buy the new gun, keep the barrel, and sell the remaining parts off. Done right, the parts could generate enough income to buy another gun, and so on, and so on....

But if buying the best is not the best choice, why make it? Why not make a choice that is actually better than the best choice?

Can a god make a rock so heavy they can't lift it?

What's love got to do, got to do with it? What's love but a second hand emotion?

The slug barrel alone costs almost as much as complete new slug gun. Why not buy the new gun, keep the barrel, and sell the remaining parts off. Done right, the parts could generate enough income to buy another gun, and so on, and so on....

Badger barrels makes rifled slug barrels for the nova/supernova for 199.00. Novas in my area are 340.00+ and supernovas are 440.+

Before Badger made these barrels I would agree with you.(factory slug barrels were 327.00 if you could find them.) But thats not the case anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the Badger barrel in 12ga., with a Slughunter scope, on the cantilever scope mount.

I'm not that great of a shot, but I took a doe at 85 yards and can get on target a 200yds.

Paid about $175 picking it up in person, from Ernie's factory, in WI.

These guys know gun barrels.

Guest jeremy84olsen
I have the Badger barrel in 12ga., with a Slughunter scope, on the cantilever scope mount.

I'm not that great of a shot, but I took a doe at 85 yards and can get on target a 200yds.

Paid about $175 picking it up in person, from Ernie's factory, in WI.

These guys know gun barrels.

Hello friend

Well you did a great job!

But may i know what is Slughunter scope ?

This thing is new to me...

Hello friend

Well you did a great job!

But may i know what is Slughunter scope ?

This thing is new to me...

It's a scope from Nikon, that is designed to be used with shotguns, usually with rifled barrels.

Since heavy slugs, or sabots fired from shotguns, drop pretty quick over distance, this model has "bullet drop compensation" (BDC), which has little rings, visible below the cross-hairs, to put on the target at 100, 150 and 200yds.

The slughunter also has 5" of eye releif to protect your face under heavy firing recoil.

I have the newer 1.55x5x36, which is a great scope, but frankly, with my old eye sight, wished I had purchased the more powerful 3x9x40.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes-slughunter.html

Just my two cents.

H&R makes an awsome 20ga rifled deer shotgun. (single shot but has great reviews) And Hornady makes an awsome 20ga slug. A bit cheaper than buying another barrel.

That being said I did not know about Badger barrels.

Just another option for ya.

Speaking of old eyes, How is the sight picture on that Slughunter in lower light settings? Sometimes I have issues with long relief scopes as it approaches dusk.

Awesome, IMO. I can see objects through the scope, that is too dark to see otherwise. This is my first slug scope, so I'd don't have other models to compare in real life.

I wished I'd purchase the larger model though, as I'm doing quite a bit of shooting at distance, verses thick brush.

Steve -

Able Ammo has Super Nova rifled barrels in stock.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104171

$440

upper_right.gifBenelli 81070 SuperNova/Nova Rifled Slug Barrel (12 Gauge, 24")

Awesome, IMO. I can see objects through the scope, that is too dark to see otherwise. This is my first slug scope, so I'd don't have other models to compare in real life.

I wished I'd purchase the larger model though, as I'm doing quite a bit of shooting at distance, verses thick brush.

Thanks Plowjockey. Sounds like both the Nikon and a Badger barrel are worth taking a look at. Might even be able to get the combo cheaper than a dedicated slug gun alone.

• 2 weeks later...