Question re: Carrier mag tube

FLRon

Please excuse another newb question. In fact i am such a newb that the system would not even allow me to PM Kip and ask a dumb question directly to him in private, so here I am asking the forum brain trust.

I have already ordered Kip's one piece mag tube. I currently have the Benelli 2 shot extension which gives me a total of six 2 3/4" shells in the tube.

Kip mentions that his one piece tube can hold seven shells if I am not mistaken. My dumb question is it just a matter that Kip's mag tubes are spec'd a bit longer that makes it possible? If he is able to get a seven shell load, why did Benelli not opt for a slightly longer mag tube, or is it only provided in the military version?

Thanks for any input.

Hi Ron,

There can be a bit of variation between the overall lengths of different brands of 2 3/4" shells. A little extra length per shell mutiplied over six rounds in the tube will make it impossible to get the 7th in the tube. You should be able to get 7 rds in with your +2 extension. You might want to look at a couple brands of shells if you have them on hand and compare length.

Btw...You are going to love your Carriercomp tube!

Later,

Hookster :)

I am willing to bet you have an aftermarket spring that was "shoe-horned" into the M4. It wasn't made for it, and it's got too many coils preventing you loading that extra shell. Kip has a spring that he includes with the tube that has 49 coils and provides more tension than other "more coil" springs while allowing the room for that 7th shell.

That is my guess at your problem.

I just received my tube yesterday. With Remington Express LE, Remington 12 pellet Magnum, and Federal Tactical 2 3/4" 00 BK shells (and the spring that came with it), it'll accept all 7 with room to spare. I'm fully expecting it to hold 7 with all the shells I try.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with it......it's a very well made part.

Grizz

Edited by Grizzman

Got my tube installed yesterday. I'm really impressed with the quality. Took a while to remove the old one but finally got it done. Btw, I highly recommend eye protection when taking out the old spring!:eek: Thanks Kip for a great product!

Guest cleefurd

Our initial spring release had extra end wrap coils, which we pared back in a revision that is now our standard issue. If each end has between 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 coils tightly spaced, neatly snip off a total of 5 coils and the "long" 2-3/4" shells should fall in for the seventh hombre, matching the current version.

Guest cleefurd

My Win Sup-X 00B rds (quite long) measure 2.311" and fit 7. How long are the LE127-00 you tried? I've been telling those who ask that all off the shelf 2-3/4" sheels fit with the 49 coil spring.

My LE127 00 measures (average) 2.367". But, my tube is brand spankin new. Would that make a difference? I just tried to put 7 in again and doesn't seem possible at this point. I guess .3" (.05" x 6) will make a difference whether the 7th will fit or not.

Btw, these have the "Flitecontrol" wad.

Edited by sck260

Guest cleefurd

Wow that is long. For comparison my Wally-World variety Winchester 2-3/4" box rounds measure 2.285"

So the ones you have are well over 9/16" longer across a collumn of 7.... that would make a big difference indeed.

2-3/4" shells that long while still within SAAMI spec's for OAL fold crimp, will pose an exception to the 7 round capacity by being considerably longer than the broad average. This may account for the brief period back in 2001 when Benelli listed this as a 6 round system, knowing if ALL 2-3/4" shells were max SAAMI length, 7 would never fit. The Charge, wad, and shot collumn for most 2-3/4" loads will load/crimp to well below MAX length, hence the validity of 7 round assertion.

• Their follower plus;
  • Either an OEM or our Spring;

Will yield the exact same capacity with ANY 7rd tube.Thanks for the measurement/response

Edited by cleefurd