R1's Accuracy

hunter1014

the take down issue is why i will be running irons, the sights mount right to the barrel. That im thinking may also help accuracy as that will put your barrel and your sights on the same plane, and take the barrel to frame joint out of the equation...

Dillonious,

can you report on this? I got a R1 in 30-06 comfort each for Christmas. I wanted iron sights to save weight and because this is my packing rifle. I have a Ranger Governor 7mmRM scoped for any hunting needling scope or distance. River bottom and foothills where I hunt limit my shots to 60-75 yards which is perfect for open sights.

wanted to see your opinion since you we're shooting irons before I drop over $200 on sights.

• 3 weeks later...

A few things I have learned about my particular rifle.

My rifle doesn't start grouping until a few foulers have been run down it,after which accuracy does not degrade for the next 30 rounds(it may go many more but it gets cleaned after each session)

It does not shoot as well with the forearm nut tight.I tighten it finger tight and back it off a 1/4 turn and loctite it there.I mad a spanner wrench to remove the forearm nut for disassembly.The tighter the nut is the more the groups open up.

• 3 weeks later...
My r1 (30-06)shoots at most 2 inches at 200 yards with tailored hand loads.It averages much less.Not as great with180s and 200s.I am not discounting the drive though.My only mods are a reworked trigger and a fresh crown.

Saw Doc:

Would you share your load data on those tailored loads? What bullet, powder, etc are you using.

The most accurate load I have worked up so far is:

Winchester cases

wolf large rifle primer

165gr hornady sst

rl 19 powder.

I started working up from 57gr.Best accuracy came at 59grs.All rounds tested were sized in a neck lapped full length sizing die which gave .0015 bullet tension.(This was enough tension to keep bullets from moving in recoil.)

No neck turning.No weight sorting.Just super straight ammo.

If u are using any cases other than Winchester or Norma it would be prudent to drop down an additional 2 grains for starting loads.Guess that goes for any components other than the ones listed above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still have not shot this gun, sights are installed, I finally got a few boxes of ammo to try - ammo has been scarce and since I was committed to 150 gr bullets . . . . On the upside, I also managed to secure a brand new Forster Co-Ax press and the Forster Ultra Seater die is available as of two days ago. Maybe that is a sign life is returning to normal.

Correct me if I am seeing the wrong, but length not the weight of the bullet is the critical factor when trying to find the optimal twist rate for accuracy. I.e. the R1 has a slow twist rate and therefore is better suited for "shorter" bullets - which seems counter-intuitive to me but then I am no physicist.

I like Barnes TSX for my long range rifle but after checking a few items it appears the TSX is "long" compared to other bullets of identical weight and caliber. Any chance you could do me a favor a measure a Hornady SST bullet length? Hornady does not provide that information.

Since the 150 gr SST is doing well for you, I picked up a box when I got the chance. The outfitter I am planning to use said 150 gr is fine for Black Bear in Arkansas, everyone I know has told me to take at least 175 gr. So, I started looking around on the internet for information, and it appears the Sierra Pro Hunter bullets in 180 gr at 1.225 inches in length and the Speer Grand Slam FB 180 gr at only 1.16 inches in length are both shorter than the Barnes TSX 150gr.

I am happy to report now that I have shot the gun that reports of the R1 being inaccurate are, at least in my case, WRONG. I cleaned the gun well, installed the OPEN SIGHTS, and sighted in using 14 rounds of factory ammo. I did not use any bore lapping, nor did I clean between shots. When I was happy with the position of the sights, I placed the last six shots in a group that would fit under a half-dollar coin.

Weather was sunny, wind was very light (wind sock on the range barely moved) and the temperature was 68 degrees. Ammo = Winchester Ballistic Silver tip (150 gr).

I am a decent shot, not excellent and with what many are calling an inaccurate rifle I put six rounds 1.5 MOA with open sights at 100 meters off a bag. Maybe not good enough for competition shooters but I dare say a black bear or deer will not have time to complain before falling. BTW: if anyone suffers from a "flinch" this is THE rifle to get. I can't tame my flinch on my bolt 7MM Rem Mag - I tried the R1 both left and right handed and the comfort tech stock works so well, I can shoot ambidextrous.

Edited by planoattorney

1in 11 twist is not a slow twist.Its faster than what i need,since i dont plan on shooting bullets heavier than 165 for hunting.(quicker follow up if needed)That twist should stabilize the longest 200grainers with no issues.i wouldn't worry about bullet length of a 165gr.The longest 165grainer is considerably shorter than the 200 gr sierra gameking that stabilized just fine in my rifle.

Edited by Saw Doctor

• 5 months later...

Short field report since post#6.

On our spring black bear hunt, my daughter's R1 in 275WSM required only one shot.

It wasn't a long shot, but the placement was ideal. I couldn't have painted it on any better.

She did great. So did the R1. We got the rug back last Fall. Nineteen rounds left in the box.

I've got a .30-06 barrel for my .300 win mag R1. Probably an 8-9 year old rifle, wooden stock version. I find that they both shoot around 2" groups at 100 yards for me, but I can only do so much with sand bags and a bench. Both are the same when it comes to ammo. They both shoot Federal Fusion, Hornady Interbond, core-lokts, and any of the Federal Premium bonded bullets the best. Cheaper Federal, winchester, or remington soft points and any Barnes copper shoot Ok, and all of the eastern block ammo shoot terribly. I find the crio barrel allows us to shoot multiple rounds through it where the it gets hot, but does not affect accuracy. As compared to other hunting rifles I've had, when the barrel really heats up, the accuracy suffers greatly. Doesn't seem to be the case with the crio barrel. Also, I used to re-sight in after every cleaning and removal of the barrel assembly, but after a few wasted range visits, I realized that it would still be on zero after removing and reinstalling the barrel. With the exception of feeling like I need to clean it frequently, it's been a reliable and fun to shoot rifle. I carry it on all my rifle hunts now. Additional info: most of the bullets I shoot are 165 gr. I find the 180's to not shoot as accurately as the 165's or the 150's (which I don't shoot very often). Same results for both calibers.

Edited by Planetcat

• 4 weeks later...

Got to play with the R1 some more.Can't stress enough the importance firing those foulers.Extreme velocity spreads ran 60fps or more for the first 4 shots from a clean barrel.On a light barrel such as the r1 that translates to a full moa poi shift.

Speer Deep Curls and Superformance shot very well,but the powder is very dirty.Would like to shoot some other powder but none is available.

Edited by Saw Doctor