R1's Accuracy

hunter1014

I"m thinking about buying the R1, but I need to know about the accuracy of the gun. When I hear reports of 2.75, I say no way! That's terrible and it's not acceptible with me. Not for the price of the gun. The gun must have a group of at least 1" groups at 100yds. for me to even consider . I need to hear from people who own it . Not from others who've read about it or hear say. "Gunhunter" a publication put out by Buckmasters says you can expect 2.75 at 100yds. I hope they realize how damaging a report like that is to this gun. This is why I need reports from owners of the gun.

I would say that the Gunhunter report is representative of what one could reasonably expect from the R1. The gun's design is detremental to repeatable accuracy. I'm surprised it has stayed around as long as it has.

If you're looking for sub-MOA accuracy from a semi-automatic hunting rifle, you need to look elsewhere.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF049&gid=FNG022&mid=FNM0136

Edited by tucker301

Mine does 1 inch groups at 100 yards using Federal Nosler 140 grain ammo. It is TERRIBLE with Winchester ammo and also Federal Nosler 130 grain ammo. I will be trying some other brands soon. Have a local person who reloads so will work up some rounds for me. It is 270 WSM.

My friend has a Ruger in 270 WSM and it too does not like the Federal Nosler 130s, does 3 inch groups with that ammo. Seems each gun is ammo specific thus you will need to experiment. I'll let you know what I find out with the other types of ammo (Remington, another Federal, and another Winchester). I like the R1 for several reasons: Less recoil; feels like my Cordoba when shouldered (stocks are identical). There is no reason why semi auto can't be accurate, military is happy with the M16. I have 50 year old Win. 77 .22 rimfire that will do 1 inch groups at 100 yards! :)

There is no reason why semi auto can't be accurate,

Yet, Benelli has built several of them into their R1.

Comparing it to the AR platform is a huge mistake. AR rifles can be torn down, cleaned, and re-assembled with no change in zero. A feat that is nearly impossible to achieve with the R1.

Anticipating 1" groups from it - with any ammo - is optimistic to the point of being unrealistic.

The rifle simply has too many design flaws to have repeatable and sustained accuracy.

They're nice short range hunting rifles, but you need to know what realistic expectations are. I'm afraid you don't.

Using an inherently accurate cartridge like the WSM's certainly helps swing some accuracy back in your favor, but there's still a lot to overcome.

Experiences vary widely. I have 2 R1's (my son's and mine), both have good triggers, routinely shoot sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards w/ factory ammunition and neither rifle has ever been rezeroed once the final set-up was dialed in. My rifle has been dissassembled and cleaned dozens of times w/ no change in zero, my son's at least a dozen.

The thin barrel does heat up rapidly and POA will wander if you don't allow time to cool when shooting groups. Benelli should mention cleaning the piston to ensure reliability, but I always clean mine and have had no corrosion issues. Both of my R1's are very nice rifles, shoot well, perform as expected.

David

My two largest complaints are:

Take it down and clean it, and you're most likely going to have to go to the range and check zero...

the take down issue is why i will be running irons, the sights mount right to the barrel. That im thinking may also help accuracy as that will put your barrel and your sights on the same plane, and take the barrel to frame joint out of the equation...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...