Benelli Youth Nova 20g

fikester

Recently picked up a youth model Nova/20g....brand new out of the box shells were coming out the bottom when loading. After comparing to my SuperNova it apperars the carrier is not returning properly when the forearm is moved....after cleaning and oiling had to sent it back to Benelli today. Not happy at all. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the Nova?

I have the same problem with my Nova 20ga. It is brand new and only has about 350 shells through it (2 3/4"). At first it worked fine but now it is dumping shells from the mag out the bottom when racking after the first shot. I sincerely hope it is just a simple issue that can be fixed with a good cleaning. However, I've cleaned it several times and it's still happening (about 30% of the time for me). I sent email to Benelli and I will take it back to the dealer to be checked as soon as I can get there.

I have been trying to find out more and here is what I could compile from the forums so far (maybe this will help others):

1. not loading the magazine correctly

2. not racking hard/quick enough

3. some build up is inhibiting the carrier from working properly

4. the carrier is bent or broken

5. the gun is broken

I know I'm loading the magazine properly and I've tried racking hard, soft, quick, slow, haflway, all the way, etc. So neither #1 or #2 is my problem.

I can actually see that the carrier does not go all the way to the down position when the forearm is pulled back. It goes to about midway of the next shell in the mag, stops there and then comes up as expected (although empty) when the forearm goes forward. The next shell in the mag then springs into the empty space BELOW the carrier and drops out of the gun :( So I believe my problem is #3, 4 or 5. Hopefully it is 3 and the dealer's gunsmith can clean it up and make it work!

I'm thinking of using my air compressor to blow it clean and maybe move some gun oil around in the mechanism.

Anybody have other thoughts on a fix for this?

Edited by Badabing67

my supernova the carrier returns to original postion just as soon as the forearm begins to move..... however the youth nova hangs about half way. the nova should not work any diffently than the supernova....does not require excessive force or slamming the forearm to feed shells from the magazine. I sent the youth nova back last week, will see what happens....very upset about a new gun that dont function properly and very nervous about the SBE II that my dealer has on order for me as well. On a good note my supernova works flawless, hence my other benelli purchases.

FYI: Here is the response I got from Benelli

The carrier on that gun stays up when it is loaded until the slide is racked..then it comes down..if it is ejecting shells onto the ground pull the trigger group out and oil the pivot points for the carrier and move it by hand to see if there is any rough spots in it's travel..if you still have a problem after some oil then the gun may need to come in and have us look at it...

I will try this and report my results here.

Guest GunCrazyD
FYI: Here is the response I got from Benelli

The carrier on that gun stays up when it is loaded until the slide is racked..then it comes down..if it is ejecting shells onto the ground pull the trigger group out and oil the pivot points for the carrier and move it by hand to see if there is any rough spots in it's travel..if you still have a problem after some oil then the gun may need to come in and have us look at it...

I will try this and report my results here.

sounds like good advice...i'm sure Benelli CS can get it in and have their guys take care of it....

Well, took it in this morning and the gunsmith said that he probably can't do much with it. He recently saw another Nova with the same problem and it had to go back to Benelli. He will probably have to send mine back too. Luckily it is under warranty and should not cost me anything.

However, I will say that I am extremely disappointed. I just bought this gun brand new, it is my first. They could not tell me how long it would take to repair but mentioned 4-6 weeks if it has to go back to Benelli. So I have nothing to shoot until it comes back fixed :mad:. I can't help but think that I should have spent half as much and just bought a used Mossberg or Remington :confused:.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Nova youth back today from the Benelli serivce repair......still not fixed as 85% or better of the ammo pumps onto the ground at my feet! This is unreal Benelli did not fix the gun.....with a letter saying they replaced the carrier and test fired. Its very obvious there is a problem somewhere as the shells are getting ejected form the bottom when trying to load the gun!

Fist let me say I'm sorry people are having trouble with their Benellis. YOWZER, that's not fun! Best of luck to get 'em fixed!

So, is this only occuring with the youth models, or any Nova? Is it any caliber or just the 20's? From what I'm reading above, it appears only the youth model, which seems odd.

Gosh, anyone here that's been around kids should know that the "youth" model should be beefier! Maybe feed it some Beefcake 2000 like Cartman! :p

Not just the youth model, mine is a regular Nova 20ga and I've seen other threads that include the same model gun and the Super Nova as well. So go figure :confused:

Fikester, sorry to hear about your experience with Benelli. It just makes me lose more hope that my gun will come back working. I'm giving Benelli one chance to fix this and if it still doesn't work I'm returning the gun for a refund/exchange. I've saved up some more money since I purchased this Nova so if I have to spend a little more for a better quality gun then so be it. I just thought I was starting out with a good quality gun to begin with when I went with a Benelli :(

Not just the youth model, mine is a regular Nova 20ga and I've seen other threads that include the same model gun and the Super Nova as well. So go figure :confused:

Fikester, sorry to hear about your experience with Benelli. It just makes me lose more hope that my gun will come back working. I'm giving Benelli one chance to fix this and if it still doesn't work I'm returning the gun for a refund/exchange. I've saved up some more money since I purchased this Nova so if I have to spend a little more for a better quality gun then so be it. I just thought I was starting out with a good quality gun to begin with when I went with a Benelli :(

In the last year puchased SuperNova 12g, Nova youth 20g, and just this week got the SBE II.......the youth 20g is the only one with issues. Yes its very upsetting buying the "best" and still having issues. Back to the youth model, when it was shipped back a letter was enclosed that stated what they did and also said it was test fired. Funny walked outside the dealers location in the woods.....first shell loaded was ejected to the ground. I then asked the dealer to demo "how to properly load it" ...he also failed to load the gun when pumping shells from the magazine (ejected again from bottom). Im highly upset with the service from Benelli....especially after dropping $1400 on the SBE II. I will post results when the youth model comes back from service the second time....the holiday will likely slow the return.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I gotta say, I got my gun back from Benelli and it is fixed. They got it right the first time and I'm glad. Also, to their credit, it took less than two weeks so I really didn't miss much.

I also sent them a letter and got a phone call in response. They didn't offer me anything for the trouble I went through but I did say I was happy with the results so I guess they didn't feel too obligated. At least I got a phone call, more than I can say for other companies' customer service.

It will be awhile before I can buy another gun and while I'm not happy that the new Benelli I bought didn't work right, it wasn't the horribly traumatic experience that I expected it would be to get it fixed.

Good luck to everyone and good shooting!

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem on a 12g supernova I just bought from a friend. If I cycled the gun slowly, it would drop a shell out the bottom every time. If I cycled the gun quickly, it would work fine.

I tried several things like polishing the bolt stop cap and the bolt stop tooth (p/n 019N), along with a heavier carrier spring with little luck. The bolt stop tooth mounts on the back of the carrier (p/n 017N) and pushes it downwards to load the next shell. These helped slightly, but the problem was still there.

I manged to fix it by changing the angle of the bolt stop tooth slightly by welding a small bead on the face of the bolt stop tooth, between it and the carrier, so that the spring with the cap pushed more direct on it. Before fixing it, the spring and cap underneath was binding it. By changing the angle, now it pushes a little straighter on the bolt stop tooth, which in turn pushes the carrier down harder.

It now works flawlessly no matter how slow or fast I cycle it. The carrier drops quickly to the bottom without any hesitation.

Edited by mch28

• 6 months later...

I believe I've found an easier method to fix this issue. I came across this thread when I was researching the problem, so I decided to post my solution.

I experienced pretty much this same issue with my new-to-me SuperNova Tactical - After loading shells into the mag tube, the first round out of the tube would often get ejected below the carrier and fall to the ground. Bad news if you need the gun in a stressful situation! In my particular case, I could often eliminate the issue by pumping the gun very aggressively, but why should I have to man-handle my expensive Italian pump-gun to make it work right? Additionally, the issue got worse if the gun wasn't level, for example when shooting clays.

After pulling the trigger group assembly apart, I figured out a solution.

Here's the video I made:

(bogus rules won't let me post links, so you'll have to copy and paste) youtube.com/watch?v=ZUSSciHGJbA

For an exploded parts diagram as well as part names, go here:

ftp.benelli.it/Public/UM_SPL/G0262600.PDF - NOTE, you'll have to type "ftp:" and two forward slashes "/" and then paste that link - once again, the bogus rules prevent me from posting links! Can a mod fix these for me?

The carrier clicks into place when pushed upward to load shells into the mag tube. I found that this click was the bolt stop cap slipping past the notch on the bolt stop tooth. When the carrier is pushed down, either by the bolt or manually, it should click into the downwards position as well, and this indicated that the bolt stop cap was slipping into the notch on the bolt stop tooth. The problem is that in my particular SuperNova, the bolt simply doesn't push the carrier down far enough to move the bolt stop tooth past it's "click point" on the bolt stop cap.

After some careful examination, I determined that I could make the carrier and bolt stop tooth assembly snap into the down position sooner by removing some material from the bolt stop tooth's notch where it interfaces with the bolt stop cap. Where I removed material and how much is detailed in the video.

On my shotgun, the carrier will still snap into the upwards position with the bolt forward. I think you could remove a bit more material still, and eliminate this behavior altogether. This would make the carrier operate like most other pump-gun designs; e.g. Remington, Winchester, and Mossberg. The important thing is that by removing a tiny amount of material from one of the notches on the bolt stop tooth, the bolt now pushes the carrier past it's "click point" when moved to the rearward position and the carrier will snap to the lowered position every time, ready to pick up the next shell ejected from the magazine tube.

I actually like the fact that the carrier snaps into the upwards position when loading shells, as it speeds up reloading. I think this is supposed to be a "feature" that became a victim of tolerance stacking: some SuperNovas never exhibit this issue, while others have problems worse than mine.

• 1 year later...