New Supersport initial range impressions

twowheelhooligan

Well, I got my loooong anticipated Supersport on Friday. Initial impressions – I love the weight (or lack there of), glad I got the 30” vs. 28. My intent is to use it for trap/skeet and such. I think I have a sporting clays range nearby, but I know I have trap/skeet close. I know the fake carbon-fiber is cheesy since its fake, but I do like the look of it. I really like the 2-tone look on the receiver and the bluing on it is sooooo purrrty. So I took it home, cleaned it/inspected it, went to the trap range with my lil’ spring loaded thrower solo. Shot 85 rounds, 100% flawless with WIN AA heavy target, WIN Super X and Fed Field & Target loads.

Initial SHOOTING impressions – I’m glad I didn’t get the Ultralight now! NOT that the SS is heavy recoil by any means, but a pound lighter or so, that would certainly add ft-lbs to the shoulder. I put 250 rounds through it in three days, and I don’t feel anything on my shoulder, NOTHING! Certainly hits less than my old 11-87! I think the SS swings nicely too. I’m still adapting to the new sight picture. (Vs. my M4) I certainly have to get out and pattern the thing with varying ammo/chokes, etc. Any recommendations on what distance for patterning? I seem to recall 30yds or so???

I thought my M4 was easy to clean, pweph! This thing is a breeeeeeze!! WOWZER!

Took it back out Sat w/ my wife and Sunday at an actually trap range with a trap house. Umm, that certainly changed things a bit. I haven’t shot from a trap house is a while. (refer to sight picture above paragraph.)

I’ve shot USPSA for years, and shooting rifles. This is definitely a new game where I have lots to learn, but I’m going to have fun doing it.

I don’t know if it’s the best gun for the game, but I know the gun is better than me. I know people have fancy O/U’s and single barrels but a) I can’t afford those b) those guns are waaaaaaaaay better than me and c) I really can’t afford those! J But, it just seems to fit me well. I’d like to have someone that knows shotgun fitment to give it a look-see with me. Maybe I’ll find someone soon.

Anyway, I guess more than anything I’m just sharing the joy of my new shotty. I haven’t shot a shotgun in years. I get my M4, and I become a Benelli addict!! Now the SS. Now I’m thinking about an M2 as well and a Nova 20ga for my wife. (sigh!) fun FUN stuff. :cool:

Lastly, thanks to many of you for responding to my inquiries about which to get a month or so back. Helped me out to narrow the search.

Be well!

I think I have a sporting clays range nearby, but I know I have trap/skeet close.

Any recommendations on what distance for patterning? I seem to recall 30yds or so???

I thought my M4 was easy to clean, pweph! This thing is a breeeeeeze!! WOWZER!

I don’t know if it’s the best gun for the game, but I know the gun is better than me.

Now I’m thinking about an M2 as well and a Nova 20ga for my wife.

If you have a place to shoot sporting clays DO IT. It is more fun than a pile of money.

Patterning distance depends on what game you are shooing. Ideally you would pattern at the exact distance you would usually shoot things at. For trap I would say ~40yds especially if you are going to shoot behind the 16yd line.

Cleaning is one of the best parts about Benellis.

I wouldn't get caught up in what gun is "best" for the game. In all honesty some of the people that you will run across will be absolute snobs when it comes to equipment. Not everyone will be like that, in fact the majority won't be, but be ready for it just in case. The gun isn't doing the shooting, you are, so unless it is throwing doughnuts for a pattern how good or bad the gun will shoot is all on you.

The supersport and the M2 are very similar you should be happy with one just as much as the other.