Surefire Overkill?

Only if you're facing someone who hasn't been trained in low-light fighting.

Anyone with a modicum of training isn't going to stand there with their light on and be a target.

Move --> Strobe --> Move --> Shoot --> Move

ETA: I have been evaluating the 600 lumen TNVC head mentioned earlier in low-light carbine courses. After being illuminated with the TNVC head, a suspect with night-adjusted vision will be effectively blind for nearly a full minute, unless he showed up wearing a welding mask.

vltor_modstocks.jpg

I have the Stock head on mine and I had the wifey blast me with the beam of light in the day time and my eyes were not good for awhile. If some one got hit with that light at night they would not see anything for a long time.

UPDATE with new optic: TRIJICON MS03 8MOA red dot with MS17 low mount. This is the optic I have been looking for. With the low mount you get an absolute to 1/3 co-witness with the M4 front sight (even when fully collapsed.

2688867b.jpg

17f9fc8c.jpg

Best pic I could get...when shouldered the red dot is aligned...

Thanks all...!

Some of you have mentioned VERY valid points about training.

I have had low light training classes, and what they teach makes sense, just that one needs to hear it from a "source" (i.e. instruction, trustworthy read, etc.) The classes are not very common however.:(

The best thing you can do was mentioned above(CJan's post), illuminate and move. HOWEVER...... if you really do have a threat, you do not want to lose it after turning off your light. Bad guy takes advantage and goes to another corner. It's beyond the realm of a forum response though.

Weapon mounted lights present one big disadvantage. . . if bad guy shoots at the light, those incoming rounds are eerily close to you. But it is rather difficult to wield a handheld illumination tool in one hand, and retain a long gun in the other. Well, difficult if you want to be accountable for your shots.

Here are some points to consider:

1) Don't aim the light at a wall that will reflect the light back at you. *blinding you *highlighting yourself.

2) Move move move your position. Unless you're ready to make the shot, move to take away your predictablility. IF you deploy from a corner high, do it from kneeling next time.

3) Lumens is like firepower. If you can afford 150, 200, 250+ lumens BUY IT! Blinding and disorienting may be advantageous with multiple adversaries if so encountered.

4) "blipping" the light so that your position isn't predictable.

In the end, it comes to training, and how many good reps do YOU have with your equipment. Happy training to ya folks!

Excellent points Two-Wheel!

The best way to mitigate being dazzled by your own splash or to have your own illumination used against you if you do a dry run through your own home. No, I'm not saying to lock and load and hunt down the cat in full battle rattle (:D), but to do your observation in a more subtle fashion. Grab a flashlight and go exploring with the lights off. Is there a large wall mirror over the mantle that will make a perfect reflector for you to blind yourself? Is there a large potted plant in the hallway that you'll trip over? Will moonlight shining in from the patio doors silhouette you when you enter the room from the other side? You get the idea...

Years ago I used to play flashlight tag with my daughter-it was very educational to see where a person could hide in the dark.

By the way, love the M500AB!! I have one on my 20" skunk slaying rifle-it's a beast.

I really like the M500 forends and run several of them. The ergonomics and controls are perfect for me, and all of my defensive carbines wear one.

M4_3.JPG

UPDATE with new optic: TRIJICON MS03 8MOA red dot with MS17 low mount. This is the optic I have been looking for. With the low mount you get an absolute to 1/3 co-witness with the M4 front sight (even when fully collapsed.

17f9fc8c.jpg

Best pic I could get...when shouldered the red dot is aligned...

Thanks all...!

Any pictures of that with a lighter background (so as to see the rear and front sights a little better?