How to Keep Your Benelli from Jamming

Jim1776

I wrote some time back about a 20 gauge Benelli Cordoba that was having jamming problems. I had tried everything from cleaning to different lubricants and different ammo. It still had a jamming rate of about 1 to 2%. This was unacceptable to me so I sent it back to Benelli.

I got the gun back with form letter saying that the gun was repaired and cleaned. I took it out to the skeet range for three rounds of skeet. Same old thing. It jammed again. I was disgusted and threw the thing in the trunk of my car and left. Nothing was fixed at all, just a lot of time wasted.

Yes, I heard all the arguments about using the right lubricant, the right ammunition, and the one I love, shouldering the gun tightly! I love that one. It comes from gun writers reading each other and repeating the same thing. I have seen guys in Argentina shoot the old Benellis one handed like a pistol and no jams. This is with Argentinean ammunition, the worst I have ever used. Not properly shouldered, yeah right!

The ammunition thing gets me too. The gun was supposedly designed to use in Argentina where you shoot a 1,000 or more rounds a day without cleaning the gun. The ammunition, like I said, is crap, well unless you want to pay a lot more for imported ammunition. My Cordoba would jam on AA, Federal, Remington, everything. It would be a joke with Argentinean ammo. A real damn joke. This gun can't fun 50 rounds without jamming with American ammunition.

Anyway I happen to own part of a metal shop so I took it there and had them weld up the rear most notch and mill it down even. Now it looks and works like the old Benellis. Yes, it will float a fourth shell on the carrier now but what is important it hasn't jammed once after 400 rounds. I am not going to say it is cured until it goes a thousand rounds without a jam or cleaning but this is the best run it has ever had.

For those that don't know this change in the gun happened a few years back when USFW threaten to ban the importation of Benellis if the company did not change the design so it could not float a fourth round. Benelli at the time explained that this was not meant to be a cheat feature but rather an anti-jam feature. They were correct. The guns are no longer as reliable as they were. It can be easily fixed though as I did.

As far as being able to float a fourth round goes, well if someone wants to load more than 3 rounds it is damn easy to do without floating a cartridge on the carrier. Simply unscrew the forearm cap and remove the plug. It can be done in less than 20 seconds and then you can load 5 rounds without floating one on the carrier. I have no idea why USFW got so bent out of shape about the floating fourth round. If people are going to cheat, they are going to cheat.

If the change I made in the gun is illegal well USFW can kiss my a--. I bought the gun to use in Argentina where there are no shell limits and the USFW has no jurisdiction. Really they can go to **** for screwing up a good gun with their petty rules and fear of someone cheating.

Oh, Benelli found it in its interest to get rid of my post. I hope some people will see it before they decide to delete it again.

• Upvote 1

• 10 years later...
On 7/13/2010 at 8:26 PM, Jim1776 said:

I wrote some time back about a 20 gauge Benelli Cordoba that was having jamming problems. I had tried everything from cleaning to different lubricants and different ammo. It still had a jamming rate of about 1 to 2%. This was unacceptable to me so I sent it back to Benelli.

I got the gun back with form letter saying that the gun was repaired and cleaned. I took it out to the skeet range for three rounds of skeet. Same old thing. It jammed again. I was disgusted and threw the thing in the trunk of my car and left. Nothing was fixed at all, just a lot of time wasted.

Yes, I heard all the arguments about using the right lubricant, the right ammunition, and the one I love, shouldering the gun tightly! I love that one. It comes from gun writers reading each other and repeating the same thing. I have seen guys in Argentina shoot the old Benellis one handed like a pistol and no jams. This is with Argentinean ammunition, the worst I have ever used. Not properly shouldered, yeah right!

The ammunition thing gets me too. The gun was supposedly designed to use in Argentina where you shoot a 1,000 or more rounds a day without cleaning the gun. The ammunition, like I said, is crap, well unless you want to pay a lot more for imported ammunition. My Cordoba would jam on AA, Federal, Remington, everything. It would be a joke with Argentinean ammo. A real damn joke. This gun can't fun 50 rounds without jamming with American ammunition.

Anyway I happen to own part of a metal shop so I took it there and had them weld up the rear most notch and mill it down even. Now it looks and works like the old Benellis. Yes, it will float a fourth shell on the carrier now but what is important it hasn't jammed once after 400 rounds. I am not going to say it is cured until it goes a thousand rounds without a jam or cleaning but this is the best run it has ever had.

For those that don't know this change in the gun happened a few years back when USFW threaten to ban the importation of Benellis if the company did not change the design so it could not float a fourth round. Benelli at the time explained that this was not meant to be a cheat feature but rather an anti-jam feature. They were correct. The guns are no longer as reliable as they were. It can be easily fixed though as I did.

As far as being able to float a fourth round goes, well if someone wants to load more than 3 rounds it is damn easy to do without floating a cartridge on the carrier. Simply unscrew the forearm cap and remove the plug. It can be done in less than 20 seconds and then you can load 5 rounds without floating one on the carrier. I have no idea why USFW got so bent out of shape about the floating fourth round. If people are going to cheat, they are going to cheat.

If the change I made in the gun is illegal well USFW can kiss my a--. I bought the gun to use in Argentina where there are no shell limits and the USFW has no jurisdiction. Really they can go to **** for screwing up a good gun with their petty rules and fear of someone cheating.

Oh, Benelli found it in its interest to get rid of my post. I hope some people will see it before they decide to delete it again.

Feel your pain. I’ve been lucky I guess.so far mines ok. Thank God!