Factory 14" entry barrel

kengps

Hello,

Does anyone know whether Benelli actually imports 14" barrels. I have heard that Benelli actually has them cut down once they arrive in the US. Anybody know for sure? What if I cut down an 18" barrel myself. Is it the same as a 14" cylinder bore factory barrel? Is there going to be a difference in the taper of the barrel. I'm not that familiar with shotgun barrels. Thanks for the help.

P.S. Yes.... I know I need a BATF Form 1

My understanding is that ANY shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18" is considered a Title 2 firearm and must be registered with the Federal government and you must purchase a $200.00 transfer permit when you buy it.

[ 02-15-2006, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Remy ]

Originally posted by kengps:

It's the very best, most expensive tp. Cost $200.00 and you only get 1 sheet.

and for the love of god, make sure you make copies! Lots of copies, lots and lots and lots. Give a few to your lawyer, your dad, wife, gun safe, glove box, draw a picture on the back and give one to your mom to put on the fridge. BATFE can lose your file. A couple extra .05 copies can save a lot of money

Funny and serious thread. kengps your going to need to register just the barrel with the BATF&E and pay 200 DOLLARS just for a tax stamp! You may only have to pay a 5$ tax if whatever you obtain is considered an AOW. The few 14" shotguns I've sold were considered AOW's, so only 5 bucks not 200. I wasn't sure if you were aware or not. I know that was lame, but easy. But I'll add a couple of serious thoughts now. Benelli does import factory made 14" barrels, they even have an M1 14" LE entry model. As deasmuth pointed out keep your form 4 in a vault (somewhere safe) and make some copies to be stored at another location. Most people aren't aware of this but if you own a class III weapon the BATF&E can show up at your residence and demand to see the firearm and of course the paper work. They can show up 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365. This applies to citezens. You don't have to be a dealer. You may hear a knock at 4 a.m. and suprise! Show us your mp5sd, and they don't even have to say please. All though this is rare they do have the right.

FN_FAL

I'm not doing a Form 4. I am modifying an existing weapon by shortening the barrel. That will convert it into a class 3 weapon. I have to use a Form 1 for that. The barrel itself doesn't have to be registered. It still cost $200 though.

What I'm trying to find out is whether Benelli imports the barrels already at 14" or cuts them down after they arrive in the USA. I have heard they do it after arrival but I can't confirm it yet. If they Cut them down in the USA then I am going to see whether I can have them modify my 18" barrel as they don't have a 14" barrel as of yet for the M2. If not then maybe I can find out if they sub it out. I would like it to be "factory quality" as that will make it identical to the factory barrel if they ever produce one. I had a problem with the choke bore on my barrel so it may get tossed in the garbage can anyway when they send me a new one on warranty.

[ 02-18-2006, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: kengps ]

• 4 weeks later...

Alright FN_FAL don't be trying to scare potential Class III owners. I have owned Class III weapons since 1993 and have NEVER been visited by the BATF. I just does not happen.

kengps - you are correct about the form 1. The barrel is not the registered part, it is the firearm. You could even change the barrel from a 14" to an 18", and it would still be a Class III restricted NFA weapon. I happen to have an M1 Entry which is on a form 4. It's a blast to shoot! 100_1127.jpg

I lucked into one a couple months ago. Haven't seen one on a store rack in Indianapolis for a long time. Made a road trip to to Jeffersonville, across the river from Louisville, to check out Kiesler's Police Supply. It was just sitting there on the rack so I went for it. This is a fun hobby but very expensive. These boards really fuel my cravings for more.

Yea, man I hear ya. My gun shop here in Nashville wants an "arm and a leg" for their one and only Benelli M4 11707.

I told the owner Friday that we were about $300.00 apart on a deal. He just laughed and said they're tough to get.

My black STEYR AUG purchase last year broke my bank, so the Benelli is on hold for now. :( 100_1405.jpg

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by FN_FAL:

Most people aren't aware of this but if you own a class III weapon the BATF&E can show up at your residence and demand to see the firearm and of course the paper work. They can show up 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365. This applies to citezens. You don't have to be a dealer. You may hear a knock at 4 a.m. and suprise! Show us your mp5sd, and they don't even have to say please. All though this is rare they do have the right. [/QB]

Buzz!!! Wrong answer. :D

The BATF has no right to come into your home and inspect your NFA items without a search warrant.

From Bardwell:

As to one who is neither a FFL nor SOT, but only owns weapons regulated under the National Firearms Act, ATF may only compel you to show an agent upon request the registration paperwork, that is the Form 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or whatever else might have been used to register the weapon. See 26 U.S.C. sec. 5841(e). They do not have any right to compel you to produce the weapon. As always the Fourth amendment applies, and ATF may not enter your home or other place of storage of the NFA weapon, nor seize the weapon, without a warrant, or without falling under an exception the Supreme Court has created to the operation of the Fourth amendment, or without your consent.

http://www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/nfa_faq.txt

That said, I own 4 suppressors and an M16, and have never had a visit from the BATF.

314284.jpg

[ 04-16-2006, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: M4Madness ]

Originally posted by kengps:

Nice to know. Thanks for the correct answer.

I am also interested in whether or not 14" barrels are available for the Benelli M4. Right now, my state (Indiana) allows all NFA items except short-barrel shotguns, but I'm working with legislators to get that changed. I'd love to change my Benelli M4 into a shorty.