Buckshot tryouts w/ photos (hopefully??)

twowheelhooligan

The Shotty used for all of my following photos was: Benelli M4 18-inch barrel equipped with Carlson's Breacher Choke. All targets were fired upon from a distance of 30ft. My first dimension will be the pattern size on HEAD target, the second will be CENTER MASS.

There are(should be) a series of ten photos. This is about the extent of what is readily available to me short of mail-ordering and 3-inch shells. During a previous testing I performed I found that the 3-inch shells consistently patterned worse(waaay wider) than 2.75-inch shell. Also I am sorry for the lack of photo quality w/ the white-target photos. Had my pocket camera along instead of SLR for that shoot.

Was my testing super-dooper scientific? NOPE! Am I being endorsed by anybody? NOPE! Did I have fun doing it? YEP!

Next should be what a slug can do to. . . .. . (insert your LEGAL target of choice here.) :)

I hope you all enjoy the photos.

TUCKER. . . thanks to your post from 2007 for teaching me how to post photos!!! BIG BIG help!!!!

This is Sellier & Bellot 2.75" OO Bk, 9 pellet. 5.5-inch / 7.75-inch SBOOBK2.jpg

Edited by twowheelhooligan

Thx for the photos

During a previous testing I performed I found that the 3-inch shells consistently patterned worse(waaay wider) than 2.75-inch shell.
I've also always found that the patterns are blown apart and very irregular with the 3" rounds. The other disadvantages to 3" - less magazine capacity, more muzzle flash, and more difficulty staying on target with the extra recoil. Conclusion: forget the 3" rounds and only use the 3" when that's all ya got. Edited by Sukhoi_fan

Thanks for posting.

It looks like S and B and Fiocchi are good performers pattern-wise. Especially for the money.

Edit: Which particular Fiocchi loading is that? Is it nickel plated? Low recoil?

Edited by 12508

Thanks for all the work and photos. On a side note, I don't remember which Fiocchi my buddy tried to shoot out of his Saiga, but it absolutely would not cycle. It was 9 pellet 2 3/4" 00 buck, not sure what the dram was. I tried one and it was the only round that has ever failed to cycle on my Benelli M2. I had to swear them off after that outing.

Oh yeah, I do remember that they were sold in 10 round boxes and were low recoil...... Good luck....

Edited by 03mach1speed

Some of you were right on par. I had to find another box to give the p/n, so apologies for delay.

Ammo is 12LEOOBK - Nickel Plated, 9-pellet, 1150fps "Low Recoil"

They cycle FLAWLESSLY. . . . in my particular M4.

Your own testing and evaluation is recommended if this is the round you choose for HD purposes.

Regards!

2-wheel

Some of you were right on par. I had to find another box to give the p/n, so apologies for delay.

Ammo is 12LEOOBK - Nickel Plated, 9-pellet, 1150fps "Low Recoil"

They cycle FLAWLESSLY. . . . in my particular M4.

Your own testing and evaluation is recommended if this is the round you choose for HD purposes.

Regards!

2-wheel

Great info.

I like that it is affordable and plated.

I'm tired of cleaning up after cheap unplated buckshot.

• 5 weeks later...

twowheelhooligan - very nice article and I appreciate the time and effort to document your findings - if I may, what made you choose the Carlson Breacher Choke tube?

"Carlson's new Tactical Breacher Choke Tube allows ou to turn your hunting gun into a home defense gun. The open choke allows for shooting with lead, buckshot, Hevi-Shot or steel shotshells. You can count on this choke tube for your security needs. Backed by Carlson's Lifetime Warranty!"

http://www.choketube.com/mobilchoke.html

From AR15 FAQ's

Do I want large or tight patterns with buckshot?

Tight patterns are desired because we want all of the buckshot to impact the target. And projectiles that miss the target will continue down range, and will cause us to violate Firearms Safety Rule #4 - Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.

Isn't a wide pattern an "advantage" of using a shotgun?

No, it is not. It is a definite advantage when hunting and wing-shooting birds with birdshot. But when used for home defense, we do not want any projectiles to miss the target, and this requires tight patterns. Buckshot does not "act like one slug". Therefore, even if the pattern is tight, the individual buckshot will each create its own wound channel when it impacts the target.om AR15 FAQ's

Edited by tactical1
added FAQ from AR15

SuperDak - -- DOH!!!!!!!!! :( Holy crap, I need to get out the abacus next time I do that. Thank you for the correction.

Tactical1 - I didn't choose the Carlson's with much of a scientific approach. I wanted a breecher choke, Carlson's was in-stock @ Cabela's when I went to the store, I bought it. If it weren't for cost, I'd love to do a breecher-choke comparison as well. Buy one of each, then run the shot/buckshot/slugs through them!!!

Basically, I just love experimenting. A) Gets me out of house, away from wife. B) go back to "A" C) Shootin' stuff is fun. :)

2-wheel