HELP! M4 Mag Tube Removal

L84Cabo

Hi Folks

What the heck is the secret to getting this Mag tube off? I've got one of Kips titanium tubes. I'm following the instructions that were enclosed plus what I've read here but I can't get the old tube to budge to save my life.

I've got a Milwawkee heat gun that has two settings. Setting one if around 500 degrees and Kips instructions say to set the gun to a max of 400 degrees. But even at 500 I can't get the temp of the metal beyond 190. So I boosted the gun to level two and am trying to be careful. I've hit 260 on the receiver but I can't get the tube to budge. The receiver is incredibly hot. I'ts making me pretty nervous.

I've noticed that I can now see blue loctite on the threads where there was none before. So it appears as if i'm having some luck melting the loctite but still no budge. This thing isn't lefthand thread or anything is it?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Cabo, sorry it's becoming such a headache for you.

Thread direction is normal, I assume you are concentrating the heat on the receiver itself (as opposed to the tube) since it will soak up the heat more efficiently. Perhaps a strap wrench would give you more twisting power if you are trying to turn it by hand but you'd need to take it easy until you are sure everything is well heated. I had a laser surface temp thermometer standing by but never needed it. When mine released it only moved a little bit and I had to keep at it and eventually got into a heat and turn a little, heat and turn a little rhythm.

I hope all goes well

Hookster :)

I took mine to Gander Mtn, best $20 I spent! I checked to be sure they had another M4 on the shelf beforehand. ;)

Even the 'smith came out panting(20min later) so at that point I knew the 30min drive and $20 was SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo worth it!.

Then, just be sure to clean out the threads on your receiver and such.

Enjoy the new tube!!

I most likely used the same heat gun as you did. I used the low setting, and it took a lot longer (10 minutes +) to heat up than I was expecting, but it eventually loosened up.

I didn't get to the point where the locktite was smoking, but it did get hot enough for me to pretty easily remove it.

Good luck, and be patient.

Grizz

I knew I would never put the factory one back on after getting my extended tube from KIP.

Used a heat gun, but because I have a camo M4, I was worried about the finish.

So I got my large pipe wrench and it came right off. Really left some nasty teeth marks on the factory mag.

I did find a good use for the factory tube - we used in on the 4th of July to shoot bottle rockets.

Used the same heat gun. Just keep at it. Thinking you might have gotten a healthy dose of loctite on yours.

I had purchased a strap wrench for a bathroom drain project so it was handy. Being able to apply adequate torque could be the issue. Hundreds of these have been installed and while some twist off easily by hand, a strap wrench does make the tough ones easier to deal with. $10 tool makes life easy. No need to pay a gunsmith.

Guest cleefurd
Done...got it! Little ******* was on there pretty good. Thanks all for the help!

Sorry I missed this thread L84Cabo.

Also had an installer state he had success pre-softening the loc-tite by applying a few drops of Cano-Kroil to the thread joint. I suspect the heat helped it wick in, and he also used a strap wrench. Glad you got it.

I was laid-up during your inquiries due to injuries and away from any computer access.

So you held yours in one hand, heated it with the heat gun, then dropped the heat gun and twisted off the tube .....:rolleyes:

Yes, actually ... but not exactly.

I got my tube removed by myself with little problems.

Most people simply are afraid to use the heatgun enough, as they think it will damage the finish or some other such rubbish.

I blasted the receiver for as long as I could stand, then put the stock in a vice and twisted the tube off with both hands. Easy stuff.

Or go to a gunsmith if you're a pantywaist.

Yes, actually ... but not exactly.

I got my tube removed by myself with little problems.

Most people simply are afraid to use the heatgun enough, as they think it will damage the finish or some other such rubbish.

I blasted the receiver for as long as I could stand, then put the stock in a vice and twisted the tube off with both hands. Easy stuff.

Or go to a gunsmith if you're a pantywaist.

I did mine the exact same way except I just heated the stock tube right at the receiver. It took a couple of applications of the heat, just till there was a little smoke, and it screwed off with moderate pressure. No tools, just my hands twisting while the receiver was between the knees.

I borrowed a heat gun from a coworker. It had a locking trigger so I turned it on and set it down on top of the stove in the kitchen with the nozzle pointing into the kitchen. This left both hands free to handle the receiver and mag tube. I had a pair of heavy leather gloves to protect my hands. I kept turning the assembly so I evenly heated it. I periodically gave it a good twist with my hands. Once it reached the right temp, slight smell and wisp of smoke, it started turning. It did turn very slowly and I kept heating it a little as I turned it. No vise or strap wrench was necessary.

I also considered heating it in the oven. I think it would work well but I was concerned about chemical smells...mmmm...Loktite flavored cookies.