Magazine Extension vs Full Length Tube - M4

Dr Or

Hey there fellow M4 owners,

As I am both new to this site, and I need M4 owner ... I turn once more to the "Group mind" for answers that guide my selection in regards to customizing new M4 ... so here goes ...

I seek to opt of the 7+1 option but am unclear as to the advantages of selecting a Magazine extension vs the Full Length Tube option ...

I am steering towards the Freedom Fighter Tactical brand ... but other than a sleek look ... and the added price (NOT a major issue) ... is there a mechanical advantage or any other issue that I do not seem to appreciate ... (BTW ... I will have to do the install myself ... as I have yet to find a gunsmith Savvy with Benelli's in the greater Seattle region)...

Thanks for any insight / input / pointers /guidance that you may provide me ...

Dr Or

I see this becoming a war but there is a Benelli +2 extension on my M4. I went with the +2 simply because I like the way it looks and it's a Benelli product. The "bump" where the extension starts adds a nice break up of the lines in my opinion.

You are going to get the people that say "buy a full length because thats the way it's supposed to be". In either case don't go super cheap and they'll work the same.

TOTALLY a preference thing!!

There is a recent thread on here about how to take off the factory mag tube. You might be well to read that just to have an idea if you go full length tube.

Cody mentioned liking the look of the two-pieces. Aesthetics are very personal, and I can't fault Cody for liking it that way.

From a mechanical perspective, I like the least amount of parts on a device possible. I put the Titanium 1-piece on there, and LOVE IT!!!! does that make me more right? NOPE... just what I like!

But. .. if you plan on trying to seek 922r compliance because you're installing lots of whiz-bang-tricky-dicky-shoot-fast-gadgets, thennnnnnnnnnn you may want that 1-piece mag tube that has "MADE IN USA" stamped onto it.

Best of luck.

No one mentioned the mag spring. If you get the full length titanium tube you get the correct spring with it at the same time. If you get the mag extension you should also get a longer spring which may or may not be included. Just make sure what ever way you go you get the correct spring. Otherwise, if you use your original spring, the last round may not load.

Actually that is incorrect. The same spring is used by Benelli for either mag tube configuration, this is the reason the OEM +2 does not come with a new spring. You do get a spring with some extensions but the OE one will do. I personally recommend the custom Wolfe spring Carriercomp uses.

Really??? The full length tube is around 6 inches longer. So you're saying that a spring designed for 5 shells would work fine in a mag tube designed for 7 shells. It may or may not. In either case the tension on the spring for the 7th shell has to be less. When I got my Carriercomp full length tube it came with a longer spring. Why? A thread on this topic explained why a longer spring should be used. Basically several posts complained about the last shell not loading. In either case if yours works now will it work as well as the correct spring after a few years? I'd rather not take that chance.

Really??? The full length tube is around 6 inches longer. So you're saying that a spring designed for 5 shells would work fine in a mag tube designed for 7 shells. It may or may not. In either case the tension on the spring for the 7th shell has to be less. When I got my Carriercomp full length tube it came with a longer spring. Why? A thread on this topic explained why a longer spring should be used. Basically several posts complained about the last shell not loading. In either case if yours works now will it work as well as the correct spring after a few years? I'd rather not take that chance.

I used my OEM spring with a 7 round tube for all my shooting up until about a year ago (well over 10k rounds) before swapping it out with Carriercomp's upgraded spring for the **** of it.

Not a single issue.