HK Handguns

Hookster

Hey All,

After checking out a friends HK USP compact .40. I've been thinking about getting a Standard USP in .45 or the USP Expert in .45. Anyone here have either one and opinions they's like to share? I know the Expert runs about $400 more but that's not an issue, I don't mind stimulating the economy.......:)

FYI The HK45 and USP Tactical would be my first choices but those are both no-nos here in CA.

Later,

Hookster :)

Hey All,

After checking out a friends HK USP compact .40. I've been thinking about getting a Standard USP in .45 or the USP Expert in .45. Anyone here have either one and opinions they's like to share? I know the Expert runs about $400 more but that's not an issue, I don't mind stimulating the economy.......:)

FYI The HK45 and USP Tactical would be my first choices but those are both no-nos here in CA.

Later,

I thought the HK45 was good here? does it have a threaded barrel also? If so swap it out.

I habe 2 USPs ove them both always had my eye on the HK45 but no you busted my bubble damn it.

I will look into the HK45 and if we can dance around the silly laws.

Hookster,

I work p/t at a gun store where we have a range also. Our used guns are available for rent as well. A customer traded in the USP Expert and I was able to put it through its' paces over a couple nights. Total ~ 300rds.

I like the looks, I like the feel. I personally don't care for their mag-release nor the trigger reset. I myself also don't care for the safety/decocking lever. But that's ME.

What do I not like about the safety? I'll give an example.... let us say you are used to carrying a 1911 cocked-n-locked for CCW. Now you get the USP but decide you like it DA for first shot. As a matter of habit, you draw and get all flubbed up trying to turn the safety "off" you may loose your shot opportunity in those precious seconds. All you would've had to do was draw-fire.

I KNOW I KNOW. . . . training with it and re-training motor memory is what it would take and I trust you have the fortitude to practice before you carry Hookster.

So, as far as firing the gun I seem to recall it having a high-ish CG(Center of Gravity) and felt wippy. A big deal? No, because I think Springfield XD (NOT the XDm) has a high CG too, but I enjoy shooting them nonetheless as I did the USP Expert.

I personally am a 1911 and Glock fan. Are they the best? NOPE! Will they put a hole where I need it to when I ask it? YEP!! Will other guns put holes where you ask them too, like the USP you like? YOU BETCHA!!!

Let us know if you get a fun new toy! :)

Faulting a pistol that isn't a 1911 for "being different than a 1911" is sorta silly.

I have a .45 USP full sized and it shoot beautifully. The double recoil buffer spring arrangement works great and follow up shots are easy.

The trigger is good, not spectacular, but for this type of weapon it's pretty good. Overall quality is what you would expect of an HK. Unlike many 1911s it can be carried "cocked and locked" .. and yes, the mag drop could use a slight redesign for better ergonomics.

As for not being on the list.. just keep an eye on Calguns.net and wait for a "used" one to pop up for sale.. then you can FTF buy it. The list only applies to buying new from an FFL.

In summary, great weapon that you can put your trust into.

Hey All,

I very much appreciate all opinions offered.

I got a chance to rent and shoot the full size Standard USP .45 at a nearby range today.

I like the general feel and ergonomics of the controls except for the mag release as used from the thumb side felt a bit awkward but since getting an XD a few years back I've grown to like using my index finger on the ambidexterous release (a feature I previously never expected to use) Anyway, the USP mag release felt very natural to use from the index finger side.

I thought the trigger was great in SA and the DA felt good to me too although I haven't fired that many DA autos to compare it too. I currently own Glocks and an XD. I owned a few 1911 variants since the late 70s but I'm no longer the 1911 fan that I once was.

I wasn't thrilled with the plain black sights. I would be nice if they had white outline or dots but it looks like they are easily replaced with Trijicons or others.

One thing I didn't like is the empty mag didn't drop away, I'm not sure if that is normal or just because this was a very dirty range rental gun.

I think I'm going to add one of these to the stable but I'm going to try out the USP Expert first to compare, A range /shop about an hour north in San Jose has the expert available for rent

I'll keep you guys posted....

Thanks again for your thoughts

Sorry to burst your bubble Rocket W19. I guess CAs problem with the HK45 is no mag disconnect

And yes Skeeter "Tejas es mas bueno"

later guys,

Been looking for a .45 myself. The USP and other HK's just felt too large for my lovely hands. So I got my hands on an M&P-45 and an XDm-45. XDm-45 won the fit test for me. It's nice that it has the highest capacity too.

I can't say anything bad about HK's. They're just too large for me to grip comfortably. If you can fit one in your mitt comfortably Hookster, more power to you chum.

Hey All,

I very much appreciate all opinions offered.

I got a chance to rent and shoot the full size Standard USP .45 at a nearby range today.

I like the general feel and ergonomics of the controls except for the mag release as used from the thumb side felt a bit awkward but since getting an XD a few years back I've grown to like using my index finger on the ambidexterous release (a feature I previously never expected to use) Anyway, the USP mag release felt very natural to use from the index finger side.

I thought the trigger was great in SA and the DA felt good to me too although I haven't fired that many DA autos to compare it too. I currently own Glocks and an XD. I owned a few 1911 variants since the late 70s but I'm no longer the 1911 fan that I once was.

I wasn't thrilled with the plain black sights. I would be nice if they had white outline or dots but it looks like they are easily replaced with Trijicons or others.

One thing I didn't like is the empty mag didn't drop away, I'm not sure if that is normal or just because this was a very dirty range rental gun.

I think I'm going to add one of these to the stable but I'm going to try out the USP Expert first to compare, A range /shop about an hour north in San Jose has the expert available for rent

I'll keep you guys posted....

Thanks again for your thoughts

Sorry to burst your bubble Rocket W19. I guess CAs problem with the HK45 is no mag disconnect

And yes Skeeter "Tejas es mas bueno"

later guys,

Give S&W MP a look. My Son has one and loves it, so do many police departments.......:cool:

I have an HK45 and love it. Favorite gun I've ever owned. I even outshoot some guys with Glock 19s in IPSC. The trigger will be a little ugly when you first get it, but HK triggers do "break in".

The general consensus seems to be that the two big new .45s out are the M&P45 and the HK45. M&P is the best bang for the buck, HK is the more bomb-proof. Both are excellent. I come from more of a Sig background, so I chose the DA/SA one. I'm now in the market for an HK45c for CCW work.

HK has started producing the HK45s in the US now. This had a lot of guys scared, but EVERYONE I've heard from either noticed no difference OR the fit and finish on the US models seemed better than the german ones. I can't comment myself as I don't own a US produced one. Yet.

You might find this tread of interest. http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31077

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

I finally got to shoot the USP .45 and the USP Expert .45 side by side today. I like 'em both. I'll probably end up with both in the long run but I'm still deciding which one to get first. I expected to shoot better with the Expert but had about the same results with the Standard.

I found the Experts trigger slightly better especially in DA not that noticable a difference in SA

The Experts adjustable sight are a little more easy to pick up and it seemed like it might have a little less muzzle rise with the longer barrel and slide weight.

I guess I'm leaning towards getting the Expert first :)