which Benelli?

chasman1015

chasman,

You may want to check out the general discussions page on the Benelli USA Forums home page and solicit opinions there. There are separate discussions about Upland game, turkey, birds, etc. You may want to post on each of those sites and see what comes back. There is likely to be some convergence of points of view that could help you on the length and even model questions. Sorry, I am biased to tactical shooting, so can't really help you with these. Good luck. Whatever Benelli you get, you will enjoy. Stay safe (the game won't!). Tacman

Chasman,

Considering your needs for a shotgun, I would suggest a M1 field in 12 gauge with a 26 or 28" barrel. I currently have a M1 in black synthetic and love it. I would lean toward synthetic if you plan to hunt hard. If you need a 3.5" shell, go with the Super Black. I love the balance of the M1 and it is designed to hold up. But make sure the gun fits you right. If you don't hunt alot, I would suggest a Beretta in a 390 or 391 model. Recoil would be a little less due to the gas system. Good luck on your choice.

Chasman,

Considering your needs for a shotgun, I would suggest a M1 field in 12 gauge with a 26 or 28" barrel. I currently have a M1 in black synthetic and love it. I would lean toward synthetic if you plan to hunt hard. If you need a 3.5" shell, go with the Super Black. I love the balance of the M1 and it is designed to hold up. But make sure the gun fits you right. If you don't hunt alot, I would suggest a Beretta in a 390 or 391 model. Recoil would be a little less due to the gas system. Good luck on your choice.

Chasman,

Regardless of what model you buy, another thing to think about and one of the most important is stock fit. If your stock is too long, you will not shoot correctly - everything will be more difficult. Rule of thumb is: lay the stock in the crook of your elbow. The trigger should fall between the base of your index finger and the first joint (knuckle). If it is longer than that look into options to change or alter the stock. If the stock is too long, you will not be able to properly place the finger tip on the trigger properly and your shots will tend to pull off target. A stock too short is better than too long. Something a great trainer taught me that I thought I would pass on. Good luck, smile.gif

Tacman

SBE's are great if you have the need for shooting 3 1/2" shells for geese or turkey but nothing else, plus its an extra $300 or so than the M1.

I have an M1 and love it. Consider getting the M1 in black synthetic stock but get the Rifled Deer model and then get a 26" bird barrel so you can switch up when you need to for dove, geese, duck, turkey etc... The season is right around the corner and if your looking save some cash on an extra barrel or forend or anything benelli, I would try ebay and gunbroker.com for some stuff. You will absolutely save mucho dinero $$ than buying brand new barrels from a dealer. Just trying to help! Good luck! smile.gif