Remington Hypersonic Steel

tucker301

I don't shoot watermelon this time of year. They just sit around and don't pose much of a challenge.

Patterning boards taste to much like cardboard so I decide not to hunt them because I can't give them away.

Clays are ok with a little olive oil,pepper and garlic but my crockpot I broke and I don't have enough freezer space to store them.

chronographes have the Iron I need in my diet but being in Illinois, you may only shoot chronos in the air. I got tired of sitting all weekend for one to move.

I think I will just wait for duck season. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to have to try some as well.

This is the time of year when I begin shopping for cases of waterfowl shot. I don't know if I'll buy a case of the stuff, but I'll certainly try a box or two and go from there.

If you get a chance to pattern it, let me know what you think.

I'll try and grab a box and put it up against those Winchester HV's and Supremes

I bought 4 boxes of the 3" Number 4s. I will try to get a review up if I can pattern it this week. My Stag 6L is showing up tomorrow too so that might take up most of my shooting time ;)

Does anybody know if this new wad thats in these works best with any certain type of choke?

I haven't heard anything about these shells needing a certain type of choke, but I'll be shooting them out of a Pattern Master extended long range

• 2 weeks later...
any results on these yet???

I just patterned it against the Kent Fasteel that I normally use. Unfortunately, my sister who was supposed to take pictures of everything, failed. So I have no pics of my patterns.

These are 3" 1 1/4 oz. #4s out of a Super Black Eagle II with a factory modified choke.

I took 2 shots of each shell type at 30, 40, and 50 yards. I would liked to have take more shots but I was low on time. Patterns were almost identical except for one thing. With the hypersonic steel the wad stayed with the BBs much longer and was actually blowing giant holes though the cardboard I was firing at clear out to 40 yards and denting it at 50. With the Fasteel the wad was nowhere to be seen at any of the 3 targeted ranges. Anybody else see similar results? Im thinking that if its staying in the wad for so long it wouldn't work out very well on shorter shots over the decoys.

What do you guys think? Hopefully I will go out again next week and do some more tests, WITH PICTURES! lol

Here is what the "Gun Nuts" from Field and Stream had to say...

1. 16% greater pellet energy.

2. Leads reduced by 8 inches on 40 yard crossing shots.

3. A recoil headache. The 1 ¼ ounce Hypersonics will generate almost 50% more recoil than a “standard” 1450 fps 1 ¼ ounce high velocity steel load.

High velocity steel does seem to work even better in the field than it does on paper but my gut reaction to HyperSonics is, the extra recoil isn’t worth the extra killing power and shorter leads. Of course, I am easily bruised. So, is it worth it? You tell me.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/ammunition/2009/11/worth-recoil-remington%E2%80%99s-new-hypersonic-high-speed-steel-shotgun-loads

3. A recoil headache. The 1 ¼ ounce Hypersonics will generate almost 50% more recoil than a “standard” 1450 fps 1 ¼ ounce high velocity steel load QUOTE]

YES! I meant to mention that but somehow forgot. (Must have been the hits to the head from shooting them). I couldn't believe the difference in recoil between the two rounds. The difference between fasteel and hypersonic is akin to the difference between a 7/8oz. trap load and your average steel shell. I agree 100% with that review. It might have more speed and energy downrange but the recoil doesn't feel good and makes it very difficult for a fast follow up shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, after a weekend of duck hunting and lots of good shooting opening day I will have to agree whole heartedly that the recoil from the Hypersonics is brutal. If your on the recoil shy side you might not like these too much. As for the reduced leads and all that hype, well the verdict is still out.

A friend shot Win Experts and the dead birds between us dont seem to know the difference. A centered bird was a dead bird.

I couldn't believe the difference in recoil between the two rounds.

Its simple physics you cant push a payload of the same weight faster without increasing recoil. I think its funny when I see ammo makers claim that there super duper ammo is 2x faster than brand x of the same weight with no difference in recoil......its just not possible and I know its a lie.

I remember the early days of shooting 3-1/2", 1-9/16oz steel loads through my HK/Benelli SBE. Some shooters thought it was brutal, but I'm a pretty solid guy that it didn't bother...times are different now that I'm a lot older. I have let some unsuspecting souls shoot the SBE with the big loads and got a pretty good laugh until one guy was so shocked he almost dropped it. Needless to say, after I p/u and handed his false teeth back to him I stopped that practice.