First Experience

Tinsel

I shot my super black eagle using a 3.5 inch shell and wow, my ears rang but the shot was dead on target. That was my first shot that I ever took with a gun.

Than I put in some cotton swabs in my ears and I shot again and it kicked back really hard. Now I was using the lead shells. That is all I fired, just to test the gun. At least I was able to figure out of how to shoot it. I think that I did just fine, but I learned a couple of things. I should probably aim up toward the sky when shooting this gun, and second, maybe I should be using smaller shells. Is there going to be much difference in terms of a kick back with a 3 inch shell compared to a 3.5 inch shell?

You see, it might seem like a silly question but I'm curious because I will pick up either some 3 inch or the 2 3/4 shells from the store, but yeah, I just went straight for the 3.5 inch and it was slightly painful.

I have already started lifting weights and doing military presses.

First of all, you need to get some proper hearing protection before you damage your hearing any more than you have. Ringing in the ears is an indication of hearing damage.

And personally I see no benefit at all in using 3" rounds over 2 3/4" rounds, much less 3.5" rounds. From my experience, 3" rounds produce very irregular patterns vs. 2 3/4" rounds, at least with buckshot.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

I'll pick up a set of ear protectors and a few boxes of 3 inch lead shells. Hopefully the 3 inch will produce less recoil because the 3.5 was difficult to shoot, but than the first shot was not as bad as the second so it might have been the way I held the gun, but I think that 3 inch shells are what I should be using and 3.5 is fine when I am actually going for a certain type of bird and I want to make sure that I hit it, otherwise probably 3 better although you said that 3 is fine all around. We shall see. That will be the thing to test.

I'll pick up a set of ear protectors and a few boxes of 3 inch lead shells. Hopefully the 3 inch will produce less recoil because the 3.5 was difficult to shoot, but than the first shot was not as bad as the second so it might have been the way I held the gun, but I think that 3 inch shells are what I should be using and 3.5 is fine when I am actually going for a certain type of bird and I want to make sure that I hit it, otherwise probably 3 better although you said that 3 is fine all around. We shall see. That will be the thing to test.

What perzactly are you shooting? Honestly if you are just starting out with guns you should get some light loads (2-3/4" 1oz) so that way you can get form down before you step up. Starting at the top of the power spectrum will only lead to bad habits and some very sore body parts.

I was just trying out the gun and the 2oz, 3 1/2 was the shell size that I picked up. I am going to just get some 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. I need to get a hunting license and I'll focus on birds since the area has an abundance during certain times of the year. And that be it.

The key is to keep the stock tight against the shoulder. That is why I experienced some pain to the shoulder. I asked someone at work who hunts, that is what they said.

Thanks for the responses.

Replace the gel recoil pad with a LimbSaver. You will really like the difference. Shooting 3.5 inch steel with my SBE scared me until I switched to a LimbSaver. I don't know why the Benelli gel pads don't work that well, but I have changed all of my Benelli's including two twenty gauges to LimbSavers. Much better recoil pad and a lot cheaper to buy.