best sight for m4

rooky

Shoot your gun a lot and try to decide what you want to change/add from your experience with your gun. A lot of people have different sights on their guns because they make them happy or it's what they want for their own applications. It depends on what else you want to do to your gun and what you intend on primarily using your gun for.

Agree with Super's advice. After a long while and some experimentation I opted to stay with a Burris Fast Fire II. Especially nice on the M4 rail which isn't a true spec'd P-rail and some of the heavier optics used with QD mounts have f'd up the mount.

Edit: With the new SideArmor rail I may revisit an AP T-1 on a low LaRue mount.

Edited by BigHat

Does Aimpoint T-1 Micro Red Dot Sight is better than TLR 2 Laser/light combo for a M4? Im thinking in home defense. Thanks

There is a significant difference in a red dot sight like the T-1 and a flashlight w or w/o a laser. Overall the T-1 would get the nod from me, especially for the flexibility day and night. Most would say a flashlight in addition to a red dot is best and while the TLR-2 would work, I think it's best for a pistol. Browse around for awhile, plenty of thoughts on this in other threads..

http://www.sidearmor.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_30&products_id=70

This is the link for the sidearmor rails system + optic mounts.

Another question, i want to buy the Side Mount Shell Holder, should i buy the 6 or 8 round?

Go to the LaRue site and buy the T-1 or H-1 with their mount. It's the best one and the overall price from there is a good one.

I went with the 6 round holder. Just personal trade-off in size/weight vs. rds available.

I want to buy the Aimpoint T1. I will buy sidearmor rail system

Should i but the 30mm optic mount that is offered by sidearmor, or which mount should i buy?

Thanks!!

Howdy Rooky,

The 30mm mount is for the other larger Aimpoint sights (M2, M3, M4) it won't work for the T-1.

Later,

Hookster :)

There are a lot of larue mounts. Which one is, this? http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=475

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=150

Also i need to know the mount height and the mounting type.

I have the collapsable stock on the m4.

Thanks a lot! im a total newb.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=149

LT 661 is ideal for a shotgun. Scroll down to see it mounted on the M4 shotgun.

Just curious as to why you're on the market for a sight. I opted not to get a fancy sight for mine, I simply replaced the standard sights with meprolight night sights, I've always been a believer in simpler is better. Are you gonna be mounting a light on your M4? If so, do you have a plan to mount it? I would suggest replacing your magazine tube with a full length tube so you can avoid the shell holder all together. 7+1+1 rounds is more than enough for home defense. If there's a graveyard near your house and you plan on defending your house from hordes of zombies then you should go with the full mag tube and a 6 shot holder. If you want a holder to hold some slugs you should look into the new rail sidearmor has out, you can get a nice shell holder for it and it gives you many options including mounting your light. My M4 has a full length titanium mag tube, and a surefire x400 light/laser combo, when it's fully loaded it's pretty heavy, not unmanageable but it's up there. I'd hate to see what a full 6 or 8 round shell holder would do to it since I'd be carrying around 15-17 rounds on board! with a SLIM chance that I'd need more than 1 or 2 of them to do the job!

Edited by Super33

ok so is the LT 661 the one? The mounting type VFZ or LEVER?

Personally I'd go lever, especially with a new rail.

Again, congrats on the new shotgun but let me share a thought with you. Seems like you're ready to go from 0-100 mph on this project. It might not hurt to take a pause a read up a bit. I speak from experience here so don't think I'm being critical. I have $4K+ in optics, stocks, rails, grips etc that were semi-impulse buys based on the advice of others. All very good gear that I'll use on other rifles etc, but not right away. For example, $250 for a MagPul UBR stock and then I realize I'm faster with the CTR that came on the rifle and changed it back. The UBR will go on a 16" or 18" AR eventually and the added weight will help with the balance, but in the interim it sits on a shelf. Total impulse buy w/o thinking it through.

Super is right above, a shotgun used in self-defense is probably the last firearm you'd need an optic for. Of course, that doesn't mean it's a total waste, but give it some thought. It is NOT a light weapon as it comes, so watch the gear you hang on it.

By the way, I'm going with the top rail SideArmor and not the $300+ part. I already use the Surefire replacement for the stock fore-end.

Well you seem excited about your purchase. Enjoy !!

Edited by BigHat

Seems like you're ready to go from 0-100 mph on this project. It might not hurt to take a pause a read up a bit.

Exactly. Take your time. Put a LOT of thought into it and make sure you know exactly what you want before you spend any money. Shoot a lot in the meantime, it will probably change your mind about a few things. If I were you I'd first buy a full length mag tube. Carriercomp has the best tubes IMO and you can't go wrong with them. I racked my brain on my setup before I started buying stuff and I'm glad I did, I only have extra parts that came with the gun. NO bought parts laying around that I changed my mind about.:) Keep it simple.

Its true im super excited and want to customize it the best i can. I always go 0-100 in 2 or 3 seconds hehe.

the gun is for home defense... i thought the t1 was great for this but i may be wrong. Where i live i cannot see any t1 sight to try it.

I got a tlr2s light for a handgun i may try it in the m4 but probably i will buy something better for the m4.

Ok i ll start with the 7 + 1 tube, thats for sure. After that i dunno... You guys think is better a tritium sight than a t1?

If you get the collapsable stock, be careful. The height of the gun changes a lot bettween extended and collapsed. At extended, you can use the iron sights. At collapsed, they are real low.

I found that, for the collapsed position, a T1 on a the tallest larue mount is the way to go in so far as the height is concerned.

which one is the tallest mount?

You spend much time on the web? Sites like this are for help on things not easily discernible. It's getting to the point that one would think we're here to serve you or something with all your questions answerable with nothing more than basic web research. Get off your lazy ass and go to the LaRue site and answer your own question like any 10 year old could discover in 30 seconds. We have sent you there before so I know you've been there. Hint: it's called the "tall" mount and is the tallest.

Edited by BigHat

kk. Sorry for bothering. Thanks for the help! :cool:

Just start participating in your own education and we'll be fine. You obviously know very slightly more than "jack sh*t" about this shotgun and weapons/ammo in general. Happy to assist, but not spoon feed. Don't become a PITA.

Edited by BigHat

Does the lowest LaRue T-1 mount give an absolute co-witness with the M4 irons or does it give more of a lower 1/3 co-witness? Reason I ask is because I generally prefer an absolute co-witness and the T-1 can be directly mounted very low to the rail without any aftermarket mount (assuming that the rail is true to spec). Thanks.

Does the lowest LaRue T-1 mount give an absolute co-witness with the M4 irons or does it give more of a lower 1/3 co-witness? Reason I ask is because I generally prefer an absolute co-witness and the T-1 can be directly mounted very low to the rail without any aftermarket mount (assuming that the rail is true to spec). Thanks.

Aggie,

It's been awhile since I ran a T-1 with the low LaRue mount ( they're both on a FS90 now) but it wasn't of issue of where the co-witness occurred--it didn't. The iron sights set somewhere behind the mount. A VERY low sighting system (just look at a pic and you'll see) compared to an AR and thus not comparable to carbine co-witness preferences. I hope I'm not the only one who remembers it this way. :confused: Plus co-witnessing shotgun sights is just silly.

The low mount (with a T-1) works well with the fixed stock. If you can wait a week I plan to reinstall this set-up with the good SideArmor rail and can correct the above if necessary.

Edited by BigHat

• 7 months later...
If you get the collapsable stock, be careful. The height of the gun changes a lot bettween extended and collapsed. At extended, you can use the iron sights. At collapsed, they are real low.

I found that, for the collapsed position, a T1 on a the tallest larue mount is the way to go in so far as the height is concerned.

Are you shooting it fully collapsed? Does that work? Seems like your nose would be sitting practically on the rear sight.

Edited by Teufelshund

kk. Sorry for bothering. Thanks for the help!

Rook!!! The "?" key is not censored here. Your line of questioning assures continuity for those hoping your thread title may enlighten them too. Being shown the door to find answers elsewhere 1st defeats the purpose of ever coming here:rolleyes:. Do search abroad, bring that intel and new ?'s back right here and share at will.

I for one would appreciate it if you did NOT prune your train of thought to level 9 mind-benders that other sites/searches could not fathom. I went the same place you went (Larue's site) and dang sure didn't plaster their PDF's all over my basement wall. There's a lot of information out there and having a question after the fact, and NOT asking it, well, that's just stupid. Asking ain't.

BTW this is YOUR friggin thread. Take it from a Flag Officer, you fired this flare, you decide the trajectory.

Don't let anyone boot your ass into their way of figurin' stuff out. That would be the real PITA:mad:.

Edited by BM4robbins