Nova tactical vs. Remington 870 Express tactical?

doctorlivingstone

Anyone that has any experience with these two, can you share your experiences?

The Remington is a bit shorter 38.5" to 40"

Both have rebates, cost of each is very close

Rem is a extended 7 shot magazine vs. 5 shot

I've heard the Rem finish is pretty poor and is prone to rusting quickly (true?)

Both have fixed chokes.

I have other shotguns that are better suited to hunting, sporting clays, and skeet. This is a "truck gun". Toss it in the truck, scratches are ok, I'll use this for home defense, and camping in the middle of nowhere. You know, just in case (insert Mossberg jokes here).

Fit of both is still under consideration, both seem to fit very well for me.

Note that I've not owned a Remington, I hear they are very dependable guns, I have a Montefeltro and love the darn thing. I may like the Nova more because of the Monte I own, and not for it's own merits.

If anyone has shopped these two guns, can you share your opinions?

Thanks

Edited by doctorlivingstone

Hi Doc,

I have two Rem 870's. One 12ga "tactical" or I think Remington called it their "Home Defense" model. My wife has a 870 youth in 20ga.

YES, the Rem 870's do seem to have a bit more ability to develop, what appears to be super super super light corrosion/discoloration on the receivers. My wife's is more prone to it, but I think her hands/persperation are more acidic(no joke!) If one gets the "POLICE MAGNUM" those are parkarized and have a more durable finish. Then again, they're about $600-ish.

I enjoyed my 870 a bunch. . . . 'til I got my Ben M4! Since then, I've been toying (i.e. waiting for an offer) on selling my 870.

Both 870's have been very reliable, as it *NO MALFUNCTIONS* They handle well, pretty easy to disassemble/clean/etc.

I do not have personal experience with the Novas. I remember reading of people on here that had some Novas ejecting shells from the bottom vs. feeding. BUT, I don't know if that was 20ga specific, all models of Nova or what.

Best of luck!

2-wheel.

p.s. BTW. . . I'm FRIGGIN' LOVING my 625 Citori! Been getting my best scores in skeet and trap yet!! has about a 55/45 pattern to it @ 30-ish yards.

I have owned 870s for years and recently bought a Nova Tactical with GRS and T&E'd an Express Tactical with the factory extension and threaded (for tubes) barrel.

I think you've got it about right...the only thing I added to the Nova was a Nordic extension and a LimbSaver pad (but the Remington pad needs to be swapped for a Supercell pad, which is made by Sims, to be equivalent).

Both are great guns. I paid $325 OTD after rebate for the Nova Tactical GRS. I think it is a screaming good deal at that price. If you're not allergic to adding a different brand shotgun, the Nova is great. Note that aftermarket buttstocks for the Benellis are limited in choice (none at all for the regular Nova) and expen$ive, if that's a factor for truck storage.

Anyone that has any experience with these two, can you share your experiences?

The Remington is a bit shorter 38.5" to 40"

Both have rebates, cost of each is very close

Rem is a extended 7 shot magazine vs. 5 shot

I've heard the Rem finish is pretty poor and is prone to rusting quickly (true?)

Both have fixed chokes.

I have other shotguns that are better suited to hunting, sporting clays, and skeet. This is a "truck gun". Toss it in the truck, scratches are ok, I'll use this for home defense, and camping in the middle of nowhere. You know, just in case (insert Mossberg jokes here).

Fit of both is still under consideration, both seem to fit very well for me.

Note that I've not owned a Remington, I hear they are very dependable guns, I have a Montefeltro and love the darn thing. I may like the Nova more because of the Monte I own, and not for it's own merits.

If anyone has shopped these two guns, can you share your opinions?

Thanks

I grew up shooting other people's 870's. Since then I have owned Mossbergs and now a Benelli Nova. The 870 Wingmasters I used to shoot had a great action and a decent finish, but these were 1960's guns. The 870's today don't feel like the old ones. The finish seems a little lower quality as well. I can't say if they are more prone to corrosion than the old ones as I have not owned a new one. My Mossbergs were good guns and had a decent finish, actions were a little rough though. I love my Nova. Decent finish and the best action out of the 3, with the exception of the 60's 870's which we will probably never see the likes of again.

If the Nova and rem are about the same price, get the Nova as the Rem is most likely overpriced for what you get. In this decade, Benellis are superior guns to Rems. It's surprising to me that they are priced about the same. The only advantage the Rem has is it has more aftermarket parts than the Nova. IMHO, get the Nova and don't look back.;)

• 1 month later...

I like my Super Nova Tactical but to be honest I wish I would have bought a Remington or Mossberg. There are very few aftermarket accessories available like Sling adatpers and stocks.... Benelli has done a poor job with this gun IMHO.

Do a search for Light Mounts for a Super Nova...there is 1 and it's friggin 90 bucks ... Do a search for a Sling adapter and you will find out how to modify a Remington with a dremel or grinder :rolleyes: . Do a search on Shorter length of pull stock options...You will find the collapsable stock for 400-450 bucks if you can find one at all or Photos of someone that cut their stock and did a custom modification :(

The Super Nova is a great gun but if I could rewind I would not have spent my money on it.

I'm 6'3" tall with arms to match and the SNT is just about too long LOP for me. Every other gun is too short so its not me being picky. I got lucky and my dad had to have the SNT so I didnt feel too bad letting it go. My M2T is the same though. That gun has other stuff going for it that makes me forget about LOP.

Get the Remington.