Side Armor M4 Mod 2 rail/shell holder

KB Fab

Got my Side Armor Mod 2 rail for the M4. Also got the 6 round shell holder as well. Man, all I can say is this thing is nice. Incredibly well made and functional to boot. I like how the shell holder sticks out slightly from the receiver. Now my Prismatic has a proper home. $149 shipped direct from Side Armor. More pics to follow.

DSCN1662.jpg

DSCN1661.jpg

Sweet! that is just another thing i have to buy now damn it.

I have the camo version will it scrach it anywhere? I noticed you said it sticks away from the reciver thats good for me at leaset

It actually sticks away from the side of the receiver, I should have been more specific. It does fit right against the top of the receiver though. I wouldn't worry too much about scratching anything. If it's a big deal you could always cut a paper shim to fit under there.

Looks sick.

Are you intentionally running the LaRue mount backwards?

I never considered that it might be backwards.:D Actually, I ran it that way just to keep the lever on the opposite side of the charging handle. Not that it would have been a big deal since it's a locking lever but I didn't want any snag potential on that side.

Edited by KB Fab

I'm really liking this thing. I can't afford it but I think I'll order me one anyway. I didn't know you could get just the top rail and shell holder without the rest of the setup. I was waiting for a better rail and wasn't planning on getting a shell holder but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one laying around just in case, especially on that can be easily taken on/off. Any idea what the weight is?

I'm really liking this thing. I can't afford it but I think I'll order me one anyway. I didn't know you could get just the top rail and shell holder without the rest of the setup. I was waiting for a better rail and wasn't planning on getting a shell holder but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one laying around just in case, especially on that can be easily taken on/off. Any idea what the weight is?

I don't know what the weight is since SA doesn't list any specs but the damn thing is pretty light. Empty, the difference on the gun was negligible as far as I was concerned. One thing I will say, if you decide to use this without the shell holder it would end up looking kinda goofy since the mount hangs off over the side. I'll try and take some pics to show you what I'm talking about. Not a big deal for me cause I need all the rounds I can get for those pesky Zombies. :eek: :D

Edited by KB Fab

I never considered that it might be backwards.:D Actually, I ran it that way just to keep the lever on the opposite side of the charging handle. Not that it would have been a big deal since it's a locking lever but I didn't want any snag potential on that side.

A lot of people do it that way. Drive on.

I figured as much.

LaRue mounts are generally run with the levers to the rear, but it doesn't really matter.

I agree, small potential gain running it the way you have it ... I was just curious.

KB - thanks for the pictures and very nicely done; I also mount my LaRue gear 'backwards' on several firearms.

Got an old Steyr .308 rifle with a Picatinny rail on top - factory suggests using epoxy on the rail

in addition to the screws to secure the rail to the receiver - they had some issues with the screws shearing as a result of recoil -

Wonder if there will be any issues with the additional mass of the shells loading up the mounting screws - did you torque/loctite them?

Edited by tactical1

Wonder if there will be any issues with the additional mass of the shells loading up the mounting screws - did you torque/loctite them?

I used blue Loctite and "gently" torqued them down snug. They come with allen bolts so that's a plus IMO. We'll have to see how they fare after a few rounds

I used blue Loctite and "gently" torqued them down snug. They come with allen bolts so that's a plus IMO. We'll have to see how they fare after a few rounds

You just "torque" by feel? Read of a number of scope mount bases being torqued to 30 inch pounds. Think the rail rates the same? Assume no specs come with the rail.

You just "torque" by feel? Read of a number of scope mount bases being torqued to 30 inch pounds. Think the rail rates the same? Assume no specs come with the rail.

Guilty as charged.:o And no, there isn't a slip of paper with the mount except the invoice. In my defense, I have years of experience in assembly of torque spec'd parts using high quality tools. You just kinda get a sense of things after a while. :)

Guilty as charged.:o And no, there isn't a slip of paper with the mount except the invoice. In my defense, I have years of experience in assembly of torque spec'd parts using high quality tools. You just kinda get a sense of things after a while. :)

Wasn't being critical, just wondered what you did since you appear to be among the first to share install details.

I think the loctite is probably the key to it staying put. I have a inch lb torque wrench I bought for a M1A1 and Sage EBR project a year ago and haven't used it since. Figure I'd hunt for it for use on two projects next week. 1) This rail and 2) a Swarvoski Z61 1-6x joining a LaRue SPR mount on an AR. I think I'll try the 30 inch lbs unless feel I'm close to stripping. Can't recall how much force that is, but thinking not too much.

Wasn't being critical, just wondered what you did since you appear to be among the first to share install details.

I think the loctite is probably the key to it staying put. I have a inch lb torque wrench I bought for a M1A1 and Sage EBR project a year ago and haven't used it since. Figure I'd hunt for it for use on two projects next week. 1) This rail and 2) a Swarvoski Z61 1-6x joining a LaRue SPR mount on an AR. I think I'll try the 30 inch lbs unless feel I'm close to stripping. Can't recall how much force that is, but thinking not too much.

Oh I didn't take it as critical at all. Funny more than anything as I used to assemble very high end bikes (think Tour de France kind of bikes) and we used bolt toque specs from an industry standard. Every bolt had a spec anywhere from 20 in. lbs. all the way to 300 in. lbs. and I got pretty used to doing it by feel. In fact we used to check each other's "by feel" work and you'd be surprised at how close you can actually get .:cool:

I definitely think the loctite is the key. They actually included red which I was hesitant to use. I just went with blue for now and we'll see how it holds up. I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow to put some rounds through it.

Heard a noise last night deep in the yard by the big oak tree back by the woods. I took the Benelli with me to go investigate and what do I find? 11 zombies. I only had 7+1 on me at the time cause I was in my underwear and had no pockets. There were still 3 zombies when I started back to the house. When I got inside I placed the order for the sidearmor M4 mod 2 rail with 6 shell holder. When I get it I'll put it on and I'll go back for those 3 zombies. Those 3 zombies will probably turn into 10 by the time I'm back out there so maybe now I'll be able to finish the job.