shot sizes and factory chokes explained????

bigTvik

ok everyone there is so much talk about aftermarket chokes....Im just starting to get big into goose hunting and need to know the basics on shot size's and chokes.im shooting an I-12.what does everyone recommend shooting for shells,oz??bb??t??...and what factory choke should i shoot.im shooting over decoys in wheat stubble,my decoys are all shells(not any fancy full flocked full bodys) so the geese never lock in hard and want land, a lot of high shooting goes on.give me some incite and knowledge please.thanks

ok everyone there is so much talk about aftermarket chokes....Im just starting to get big into goose hunting and need to know the basics on shot size's and chokes.im shooting an I-12.what does everyone recommend shooting for shells,oz??bb??t??...and what factory choke should i shoot.im shooting over decoys in wheat stubble,my decoys are all shells(not any fancy full flocked full bodys) so the geese never lock in hard and want land, a lot of high shooting goes on.give me some incite and knowledge please.thanks

My experiences tell me to use a standard(lead)modified choke and BBB or T shot in 3", 1-1/4 oz. steel. As for the types of shotshells, I can't afford the heavy non-toxic loads like Bismuth or Tungsten and the Black Cloud so I buy the 1400fps Winchester Xpert 1-1/4oz x 3". Last case cost me $109 delivered to California through Mack's Prairie Wings.

I do understand that there are some very good "waterfowl" chokes available also.

I kill my geese with BB's over decoys, feet down and out to roughly 40yds.

ive been told the winchester x-perts are junk if you cut one apart and look whats inside.i have to shoot steel or expensive nontoxics here in minnesota too.

You asked the question, I gave you my experienced opinion. I've been shooting them for many, many years and can't recall one bad experience. Buy a box and try them out, you'll get a better idea and be able to decide for yourself. We all have our preferences. I've been "told" that Benellis are pieces of junk too, but mine have been nothing but sheer pleasure and as reliable as nite and day. If you can afford "better" ammo, then by all means buy them.

The Winchester Xpert does the job for me, that's all that matters anyway.

Edited by hattles

I would pattern it first.

I my self use my IC. choke and Hevi-Metal BB's.

I shoot over decoys no more then 30 to 40 yards tops.

Set the decoys with a land zone for the geese and sit off to the side 20 yards.

I agree. I'll shoot IC when the birds are in our faces, up close and personal.