4 shots from fully loaded magazine, 100 yards

Canazes9

Benelli R1, wood stocks, 20" barrel, 30-06, 150 grn Hornady SST's (factory loaded ammunition). 100 yards, Trijicon 2.5-10x56 @ 10x. Rifle has not been rezeroed in a year, been dissasembled/stripped at least 6 times since zero was established.

Brought it to the range to make sure it was still on for hunting season. Rifle now has about 300 rounds down the tube and seems to be getting more accurate w/ more rounds being shot. Shot 2, 3-shot groups well under an inch single loading the rounds. Then remembered all the hulabaloo about supposed accuracy problems when rounds shot from a magazine vs. single loaded, so I shot this group:

4shotsR1.jpg

My son has an identical R1, 30-06, 20" barrel - it will reliably shoot 1" groups at 100 yards, also always holds it's zero between dissasembly and cleaning. Now pushing close to 600 rounds between the rifles, no failures of any kind. Triggers are pretty decent for hunting autoloaders also, particularly my sons rifle.

David

Where did you learn that Tucker - the same place where you learned about rifle design? It's all a matter of statistics - if you're talking about a representative sample size then you would have to shoot a group of a minimum of 25 shots. Problem w/ shooting that many shots is it starts becoming more a test of the shooter than the equipment as few shooters can maintain the mental discipline required (me included). Despite your unfounded objections to the contrary, 3-shot groups are the accepted norm for accuracy w/ centerfire hunting rifles. The only reason I shot 4 was because that's how many the magazine holds and I wanted to show that my rifle does not have accuracy problems when shooting from the magazine.

David

• 3 weeks later...

The magazine holds four but it looks like they want you to start with one in the chamber, so than you would have five shots if you loaded the magazine full.

I shot 52 times in my first outing with the same ammunition, but it was a bit too much, and I'm going to head out again in a few days. I'll shoot around 30 rounds, but the biggest mistake I made was in not loading the chamber. I let the bolt slam five or six times. Now everything is fine it appears but that will wear out the gun, so I'll throw one in the chamber, close it nicely, and than pop in the magazine. The safety has to be on when loading. Than yeah, I'm ready. It is one sexy looking gun. I added a nice leather sling so that the rifle didn't jump up and hit me in the face. That sling looks awesome with the gun.

I'll shoot at 100 yards too, outdoors, and I'll see how it performs after a hard break in of the gun; after putting 52 rounds into it.

It is either this rifle or the Remington 700, bolt action. I think that this one will be fine as long as I don't let the bolt slam.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a .257 Wby. It's not a SMOA. You can't get one in wood. I'm a traditionalist and have to have nice wood. I got a Ultramark. See my profile album. You're right the Wby is more accurate but For moose or pushing bush the benelli .300 with a carbine barrel is quicker to get into action. I never fail to get what I'm hunting so I can afford to let beauty count. Got a small 4 by 4 whitetail yesterday. (post pic later).

I just picked up a Vanguard 300 Weatherby Magnum and wood does nothing for me but ends up with scratches and dings and brakes in half so i will stick with B&C Fiber-guard on both of my SMOA Weatherbys! The 257 i have is a sub 1/2" shooter and the 300 is on it's way back to Weatherby for an accu-brake!

Yes they can break. Yes they can scratch. Infact, there is nothing "technically" better with a wood stock than a good synth. Same can be said about a new ford cobra and a farrari 308 but I'll take the 308 thank you.

picture.php?pictureid=494&albumid=108&dl=1287608573&thumb=1 That's why I like wood. Will it out shoot yours? A=NO. Wouldn't trade trade you for anything. (that's just one mans opinion)

Edited by energizer

actuall the ford mustang with the 500 hp upgrade and shelby touch ups is a better handler and mor powerfull than the 308. Now farrari has other modles to woopp fords ass. I never researched this mind you. I read it somewhere and just remembered it. If I used a poor analigy forgive me. We just recently got tv and internet in our iglo icon12.gif

Edit- Farrari 308 = 235 hp , 188 torque. Ford shelby 500 = 550 hp, 510 torque. Ford has shorter stopping distance. More G force capabilities ie. tighter handling. Conclusion: Farrari Well it's a farrari I'll take it over a ford anyday.

Edited by energizer