Which to get: 14" or 18.5" M4?

AggiePhil

Guys, I'm really torn. I can't decide if I should go with the 14" M4 Entry or just get the standard 18.5" M4. I don't mind doing the whole NFA process for the Entry--I've done it before for an SBR. But there's no sense in bothering with the added hassle, expense, wait (!), and reduced shell capacity if it isn't really necessary.

If only I could handle an 18.5" gun first then maybe I'd know if it felt too long or the weight was a bit on the high side for me. But I don't believe any of the retailers around here stock them. So I thought I'd ask for y'all's opinions. What do you think I should do? Is the 14" really any better or is the 18.5" fine as-is?

Guys, I'm really torn. I can't decide if I should go with the 14" M4 Entry or just get the standard 18.5" M4. I don't mind doing the whole NFA process for the Entry--I've done it before for an SBR. But there's no sense in bothering with the added hassle, expense, wait (!), and reduced shell capacity if it isn't really necessary.

If only I could handle an 18.5" gun first then maybe I'd know if it felt too long or the weight was a bit on the high side for me. But I don't believe any of the retailers around here stock them. So I thought I'd ask for y'all's opinions. What do you think I should do? Is the 14" really any better or is the 18.5" fine as-is?

I don't have a 14", but I do know that the barrel alone ran about $900 IIRC. You bring up a great point about differences.

I don't want to repost someone else's post photos, but....I bet Texas Skeeter has comparison photos for you to look at and decide if you'd like Tacti-Cool (18") or Tacti-HELLAcool (14")

I only say hellacool because of the relative exclusivity of having a 14".

I guess intended purpose should be considered. For years the 6+1 Rem 870 was deemed acceptable. Now that the M4 has come around with a 9+1 possibility in the 18"(float a round on carrier) all of a sudden the 14" (5+1 I believe??) is seemingly inadequate!

My $.02, is, if it's for HD and fun, the 14" will suffice. If you're going to do 3-gun, then negative, get the 18".

Either way, in the end, you'll be saving up $$ to purchase the one you don't have. :p

Best of luck!

I don't want to repost someone else's post photos, but....I bet Texas Skeeter has comparison photos for you to look at and decide if you'd like Tacti-Cool (18") or Tacti-HELLAcool (14")

I only say hellacool because of the relative exclusivity of having a 14".

I guess intended purpose should be considered. For years the 6+1 Rem 870 was deemed acceptable. Now that the M4 has come around with a 9+1 possibility in the 18"(float a round on carrier) all of a sudden the 14" (5+1 I believe??) is seemingly inadequate!

My $.02, is, if it's for HD and fun, the 14" will suffice. If you're going to do 3-gun, then negative, get the 18".

Either way, in the end, you'll be saving up $$ to purchase the one you don't have. :p

Best of luck!

I agree it depends on the purpose its used for. If its used for its intended pursope to enter a home/ building ect then yes its small and gets the job done. But would I take it out in the sand box and try to have a firefight with the bad guys **** no. Now the most important thing for 90% of us is coolness or tacticoolness cuz we realy aint doing stuff like that, then **** ya get it be the only kid on your block with one and have fun shooting the paper target bad guys.

Alright, checked out the 18.5" M4 today. Really wasn't bad! I think I'll stick with it and spare the hassle of the SBS for now. Plus, the money's burning a hole in my pocket and I believe Impact Guns said it'd be 3-6 months for the SBS (not to mention the ATF form). I also might try my hand in a little 3-gun at some point and it wouldn't hurt to have a gun that's halfway decent at that (although I see that most people actually prefer 20"+ guns for that). Anyway, looks like I'll stick with the 18.5". I'm pretty sure I'll still be the only guy on the block with a Benelli M4. :cool:

Coolness is one thing, but do you really have a need for a 14" SBS? I only ask this since if you have a choice between the two, I'd go with the full length M4. First being enhanced mag capacity and second being sight radius and range for blasting with slugs.

I have a 14" M1S90 - while it is cool and all, it's usefullness is really limited. I call it a 50yd and under blaster with slugs, but am also just running rifle sights on it. Also have a full size M1S90, so I have a few things to compare it with.

If I was forced to have one, it would be my full size M4, not the SBS. If you have the coin there's no reason you couldn't get both (like I did), but for just one go full size.

It's great to hear the different viewpoints. I'm a cop so going with the Entry was naturally my first instinct. But it's not going to be for duty use (at least not for now) so I probably have no need for it. My main thinking was really for the weight savings--I'm not that big of a guy. After handling the 18.5" though, I think it'll be fine. And like y'all said, I can always get another one later.

It's great to hear the different viewpoints. I'm a cop so going with the Entry was naturally my first instinct. But it's not going to be for duty use (at least not for now) so I probably have no need for it. My main thinking was really for the weight savings--I'm not that big of a guy. After handling the 18.5" though, I think it'll be fine. And like y'all said, I can always get another one later.

If you fill out the paper work with ATF and get the 14" can you switch to the 18 in when you want? If so I would do that as you fall in the 10% that will actually use the 14 for what is suposed to be used for.

I don't know, I don't think I'd ever want to go to a longer barrel if I went to the trouble of getting the shorter one. I wouldn't be gaining any mag capacity, just a longer barrel. Don't think I'd do that.

you could just screw on the +2 mag extension anytime you swapped to 18". No bigge bro just trying to help it seemed like you realy wanted both so I was givin options.

Id get a 14 inch in a heartbeat if NY would allow it.

Tactical shotgun = indoor weapon = indoor close quarters maneuverability is most import = 4.5 inches makes a big difference.

If you can get a 14 inch, do it. Heck, you'll still have the 18.5 barrel and mag tube that you can swap in if you feel you want to for some reason.

Another idea I've had as of late is to buy a 14" M2 (instead of the M4) and then later buy an extended barrel (20"+), clamp, and mag tube for competition shooting. With the M4 not being as popular amongst the competition community, it seems that there aren't as many extended tubes and barrels available (beyond 18.5") as there are for the M1 and M2. IDK...what do y'all think about this?

Look ... if you're even considering a 14" m4, then money is not your primary concern. This rules out a primary reason why many people buy an M2 as opposed to an M4.

The M4 is superior to the M2 in pretty much every way ... the only thing the M2 really has on the M4 is that it's slightly lighter and has a slightly longer barrel option.

Really, the only sane thing for you to do is to buy a standard 11707 m4 and use it while you wait for the NFA paperwork / 14 inch barrel purchase to happen. Once you have both, decide which (or both) you want to keep, and sell the other.

I highly, highly doubt that if you get an m4 in either configuration, you will want an m2 for anything other than MAYBE a 3gun extended setup.

Well I went ahead and got the 18.5". $1279 after rebate and I'll have it in a few days. Can't beat that with a stick!

I've already got a CarrierComp Ti tube en route. Do y'all think I should send it to C-Rums to have the loading gate welded to prevent "Benelli thumb" during loading?

Edited by AggiePhil

Well I went ahead and got the 18.5". $1279 after rebate and I'll have it in a few days. Can't beat that with a stick!

I've already got a CarrierComp Ti tube en route. Do y'all think I should send it to C-Rums to have the loading gate welded to prevent "Benelli thumb" during loading?

"Benelli thumb" is a bunch of bullsh$t. Load properly and you will never have an issue.

This means loading with your thumb perpendicular to the round, pushing it into the tube and stopping once the round is inserted and your thumb hits the receiver.

People that complain about "benelli thumb" load with the tip of their thumb, with the round paralel to their thumb, and their thumb tip basically follows the round into the tube and then GASP they get sruck when the springloaded v cut lifter won't let their fat little finger back out.

Please, don't get any unnecessary hackjob on a brand new m4 ... load the right way and you will laugh in wonder at those who manage to screw up such a simple thing so royally.