New R1 scope/mount

hayfrick

Hello all,

Been lurking on here since I handled a used R1 .30-06 ComforTech earlier this summer.

I have never hunted before, but applied with some friends, that hunt regularly, for the NM Elk Lottery and got selected. Ordered an R1 .30-06 ComforTech RealTree, that should be in this week.

I have a few questions about scopes and mounting to the R1 that I hope some of you can help me with.

1- I am looking at a few different scopes: the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm, the Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45mm, and the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44MC. So far, I have only seen the VX-3 available locally. I would prefer to be able to look through each scope as a comparison, but like with the R1, I will probably have to purchase without actually 'using' the instrument. I would appreciate any comments about these scopes, or any other scopes I should consider.

2- Being new to all this, I am having some trouble understanding how these scopes will mount to the R1. Will I just need to order rings with the scope I choose and they will connect to the Picatinny Rail? Is that the best way to mount a scope to the R1? I have seen reference to a few different ring manufacturers. Should I be looking at any specific rings??? And, how will they mount?

I apologize for my ignorance. I was not sure I was going to go through with this hunt until just recently. Now, I am cramming to get ready!

Any help or pointers you can pass along will be greatly appreciated. I am trying to cover all this as quickly as possible so that I can get to the range ASAP and start learning my new R1.

Thanks in advance,

hayfrick

1- Low to medium rings for the 40mm. Medium for the 44-45 mm.

All of those are excellent choices. I like the Conquest. I have the same model on my BAR and I have also used several Leupolds over the years. All good choices.

2 - You should use the factory rail, because it is tapered for the rifle. Yes, you would mount the rings directly to the rail.

I like Leupold QRW.

37518.jpg

Hello all,

1- I am looking at a few different scopes: the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm, the Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x45mm, and the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44MC. So far, I have only seen the VX-3 available locally. I would prefer to be able to look through each scope as a comparison, but like with the R1, I will probably have to purchase without actually 'using' the instrument. I would appreciate any comments about these scopes, or any other scopes I should consider.

hayfrick

Those are some very nice, high quality scopes that are appropriate for your intended application - you will be well pleased w/ all of those! Might I also suggest you look at a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 also. Trijicon accupoint scopes have an illuminated reticle that is "always on" and requires no batteries. It uses a combination of fiber optics and tritium. It is in the price range of the scopes you mentioned. I have one on my R1 and have been well pleased.

Going to a "big box" outfitter store like Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro shops, etc. may be your best opportunity to look through those scopes side by side. It is often difficult to determine quality/performance looking through a scope in a well lit store, but it may help you make a choice nonetheless. I would shop price carefully, before purchasing, many of the online retailers can save you many hundreds of dollars! Here are some that I have done business w/ and been happy with:

http://swfa.com/default.aspx

http://www.theopticzone.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/

There are many others, however, there is one place I would specifically avoid:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/

Customer service is terrible! Google is your friend here, read some reviews....

Hello all,

2- Being new to all this, I am having some trouble understanding how these scopes will mount to the R1. Will I just need to order rings with the scope I choose and they will connect to the Picatinny Rail? Is that the best way to mount a scope to the R1? I have seen reference to a few different ring manufacturers. Should I be looking at any specific rings??? And, how will they mount?

hayfrick

The picatinny rail mounts to the rifle - there are two little plastic plugs that have to be pushed out of the screwholes. The picatinny rail has built in elevation and must be mounted properly (thinner area forward). The rings will mount directly to the picatinny rail, any rings designated for use w/ weaver bases/picatiny rail will work, as opposed to Leupolds proprietary bases or Ruger's built in factory bases. There are numerous quality ring designs, get steel! I like Talley, Warne and Leupold (yes Leupold makes picatinny style rings as well as rings for the proprietary bases).

If you have no experience mounting a scope it may be worthwhile for you to bring it to a gunsmith. If you buy your rifle/scope at smaller professional gun shop they will probably mount your scope for you if you want. I would not let the typical "big box" stores mount my scope. It's not that its terribly difficult, but there are a lot of little things that make a difference!

Generally speaking the R1 will work w/ lower rings than you might normally consider due to the picatinny rail. Normally, medium rings are used w/ 40 mm scopes, high w/ 50/56mm. I have my 56mm scope mounted w/ medium rings and have plenty of clearance. If you buy a 40/44mm scope low rings will work well. As a general rule, it is desireable to mount the scope as low on the rifle as possible.

HTH

David

Go to google shopping and enter your manufacturer and their part number and then hit search, they have always pulled up the cheapest price for me. Then see if opticsbest buy.com has the same item becasue they do not charge shipping or tax and NM being a internet non use tax state we do not have to pay taxes on internet purchase. i have found this to be the cheapest way to keep from paying Retail in any big box store! Savings can be north of 30% minimum and a good optic at a good price would be the 3 x9 40 Zeiss at around 399.00 and i would also call opticsbestbuy.com and get them to price match since they charge no shipping or tax! That power scope would work fine for -06 and zeiss is a decent optic and it's a big seller at that price! Another site i use is manventureoutpost.com, but opticsbestbuy.com will match anyones advertised lowest price and as mentioned no tax nor shipping unless ya live in their state which is Texas. i have bought several items from them and have had zero issues! I like to lap my rings no matter what style i use but i prefer weaver style made by Warne Manufacturing and i use 2 piece steel bases and standard steel rings and use the process in this link to install them.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/downloads/video.asp?Professional-Scope-Mounting-DVD

Lotta Gunsmiths do not even use the above procedure so if ya want it done rite ask them if they use this process, it keeps the scope from loosing zero and also keeps scope ring marks off the scope tube!

Edited by HOGWILD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My 270 WSM carries a Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 in SK mounts. It is a low sleek scope and the mounts are much nicer than the clubby rail furnished with the rifle.

Handles like a 20 bore shotgun ..... now it were just a REAL 270 !

DSCN3062.jpg

DSCN3063.jpg

Very Nice Gun!!!

• 2 weeks later...

picture.php?pictureid=495&albumid=108&dl=1287608573&thumb=1

I used leupold quick release mounts with a vortex viper 3-9. I want to use my open sites on my 20 inch carbine barrel when I am pushing bush or walking heavily wooded areas of which we have in abundance. I have never lost zero with them. Only draw back was the hight I had to mount my scope to clear the bell with my rear iron site. As a moose gun it is a great little combination.

picture.php?pictureid=497&albumid=108&dl=1287609001&thumb=1 I don't need the slip on recoil pad for recoil but at 6 ft 4 I like the extra length of pull it gives me. I already have the optional larger factory pad on it.

Edited by energizer

I thought that the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm was under powered for the R1, but it still does work. If the rings are too high you can use a cheek rest.

I see that there are rings that can be removed from the rail without a screw driver. Anyway, the rings are easy to install, it is not a complicated job.