ammo problems

STEELER FAN

THIS PAST WKND. MY BROTHER AND I& OUR WIVES WENT OUT & SHOT SOME CLAY PIDGEONS. THIS WAS THE FIRST CHANCE TO SHOOT MY SBE. I WAS SHOOTING WINCHESTER AMMO,NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH THIS AMMO BEFORE, BUT MY SBE WOULDN'T CYCLE I HAD TO PUSH THE BOLT CLOSED AFTER EVERY SHOT, THEN I SWITCHED TO REM. NITRO,& FEDERAL AMMO,THE GUN CYCLED EVERY TIME WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. IS IT JUST WINCHESTER AMMO??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Many people swear by winchester ammo. I personally won't use it any more and have never tried it in my SBE. The reason is that I have two semi-auto rifles that will not cycle winchester ammo at all. Stove pipe every time. Seems odd and I don't know why. Maybe after a good break in period they'll work.

Hey STEELER FAN ,

When is your birthday? I want to buy you a new keyboard with a working caps lock key.

Good luck with your ammo problem.

luckypunk

ETA:

Has anyone tried mic'ing unfired winchester at the hull & brass?

[ 02-06-2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: luckypunk ]

I found a Walmart Federal Value pack tends to not cycle repeated rounds. For some reason the cheaper quality of the wal mart rounds just dont cycle in the benelli quite right. Like 1- 5 rounds just wont cycle. Another beef with the cheapie shells is they kick 4x harder than buckshot. Rant on walmart over

YES THE WINCHESTER AMMO WAS FROM WALMART IN THE BULK PACK, I ALSO BOUGHT THE FEDERAL SHELLS AT WALMART IN THE BULK PACK, AND THEY CYCLED FINE. DIDNT HAVE 1 PROBLEM, WITH THE FEDERAL SHELLS. WITH THE WIMCHESTER SHELLS I HAD TO PULL THE BOLT BACK TO FINISH LOADING THE NEXT ROUND. I HAVE NO IDEA, WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE WINCHESTER AMMO, BUT PROBABLY WON'T PUT IN MY SBE ANYMORE,I'LL SAVE IT FOR MY OLD 870 EXPRESS. :cool: :cool: :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a SBE II in Max 4 camo, Dished out the 1350.00 Planned a great hunt for Mallards up here in Alaska. Had two different types of shells, Kent Faststeel and Federals, both #2 shot, and 3"

I bought htis gun for the reuptation it has for being best shotgun for Ducks And Geese. Well maybe I'm not so lucky. I was stalking about 300 mallards on a grass flat, and when they flew, hunkered down and hit the call, they turned and came right for me. (Awesome sight) Now comes the frustration. At about 30 yds out, I pull up and dust a very nice drake, attempt to pull the trigger on the next one, nothing, not even a click. I pull the gun down and what do I see? A Federal Speed Shok 3" shell stuck in the ejection port. Almost threw my shotgun in the freaking ocean. Never had a problem the rest of the trip using the 3" Kent Fast Steels, or different 2 3/4" Wnchesters. The inside of my barrel in chipped. I am sending it back to Benelli this week. I cannot explain how frustrating that was.

Sorry to hear about the troubles guys.

Sounds like these were new guns, and there are two critical factors for benelli owners on a new gun.

*First, the gun is assembled with assembly lubricants and not operating lubricants. The assembly lubricant is designed to prevent corosion and to allow the gun to sit on the shelf ( of course we all know benelli's dont sit on the shelf long tongue.gif ) )

You need to strip the gun and clean the assembly lubricant from all opertional componants. One of the biggest culprits is the recoil tube assembly in the stock. A new gun is going to have a fairly heavy grease in there which will slow bolt travel enough to cause some cycle problems. Also make sure the locking lug sockets in the barrel are free from dirt or contamination so the bolt can rotate freely into locked position

* Second, you need to break the gun in a bit with heavier magnums ( a box or two is usually enough combined with some target loads ).

My SuperSport was the same way. It was the toughest Benelli I have had to break in so far; it took 3 trips to the range and aprox 500 ( 100 of which were magnums) rounds before it smoothed up enough to cycle anything.

-cr

Yes remy, it is right where the bolt catches the shell to eject it. I looked at a friend of mines gun, an M2 and it seems that the steel lip there is way to thin. Another friend of mine told me his is chipped in the exact same spot, and it is a SBE II just like mine, but a little bit bigger chip and that mine isnt that bad. After going through a good hunt ruined by this, Im sending it back.